Old 03-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
LOSER
Human being with feelings

Default New JS Limiter

New JS Limiter: http://loser.asseca.com/MGA_JSLimiter
which is IMO, very good and has GR meter.

Enjoy.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Another one ?
Thank you !

(gain reduction meters... mmmmh, i like that !)
How does this one compare to... well... the hundreds you already made ?
What would you advice it for ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
adlaius

Ack! LOSER, you are out of control Going through your JS stuff is like Christmas every time. Thanks!
adlaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Another one ?
Thank you !

(gain reduction meters... mmmmh, i like that !)
How does this one compare to... well... the hundreds you already made ?
What would you advice it for ?
It's basically very similar to my NULL Limiter (VST). (BTW Sink you can enter the -120dB manually in the JS version hehe).

So what to use it for? - Just put it on the master instead of all other JS limiters . Seriously it's REALLY good (IMO) (and I haven't claimed that about my previous creations). Also I'm very much satisfied with this (which I also never really was with previous creations). I can't think of a single thing to change to improve it (well actually I can, though I won't give away the code for that).

So to sum it up ... I'd personally pick this limiter over any other freeware limiter out there, including the much loved W1 Limiter and also Baricade, EventHorizon.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
wzmzw

HiLOSER!

Thanks man, "pa la cole"

Salut!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Mind Riot

I'm probably stupid, but do we download this from somewhere? The link in the first post just leads to some text.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
StepOne

*cough**cough*

Last edited by StepOne; 03-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.
StepOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
I'm probably stupid, but do we download this from somewhere? The link in the first post just leads to some text.
Just save the file (as a text file with out extension, as it is) into your REAPER/effects/LOSER/ folder.
It then will show up in REAPER in the JS fx section.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
StepOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSER View Post
Just save the file (as a text file with out extension, as it is) into your REAPER/effects/LOSER/ folder.
well that works much better
Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
StepOne

first impressions are that it sounds damn fine! Great work, and thanks!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

I like it : it is not "just" a limiter, and like the Null one, it offers few parameters but great versatilty.
THank you.
Would auto-release make sense on this one (your JS Master limiter had this feature) ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
IXix

Thanks LOSER. I'm looking forward to trying this.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Bevosss

Shit LOSER...that actually sounds really good! Thanks for sharing it.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #14
Mind Riot

Quote:
Ah, I see. Thank you.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
IXix

Well to my untrained ears, this thing sounds bloody great. Bow down to the mighty mind of LOSER!
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
OrenS

Holy shit man! I'm not sure what's going on there but it sounds fantastic!
OrenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
JasonTheron

*COUGH* please include this in the installer *COUGH*

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
RunBeerRun

I like it, just tried it out briefly, great results.
RunBeerRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
Justin
Administrator

I dig this limiter on overheads heheh... it'll be in 2.150

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
NAS

I'm gonna do GUI cause this thing is cool
But somebody else will have to step up to do the code

NAS
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
LOSER

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I modified the original limiter and branced out a dual mono limiter with adjustable linking between the 2 channels: http://loser.asseca.com/MGA_JSLimiterST
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #22
griz lee

This is very nice: I think the stereo link feature works superbly.

Loser, i'm having some issues with bass distortion, although the general sound is better than some others I have.

Can you think of any way to combat this, given the operational principal of the limiter itself. I'm pushing quite hard though, at 6db gain reduction, so i should really back off a bit, but i'm left wondering why limiters like the tc md3 brickwall don't have (too many) bass distortion issues.

Any chance of an auto release.. I'm forever faffing about with the release times on these things, and most autos now do a better job than me.

Anyway, thank you for this. It sounds damn fine as it is, and I love the convenience of having this in a JS. Quality!
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #23
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
This is very nice: I think the stereo link feature works superbly.

Loser, i'm having some issues with bass distortion, although the general sound is better than some others I have.

Can you think of any way to combat this, given the operational principal of the limiter itself. I'm pushing quite hard though, at 6db gain reduction, so i should really back off a bit, but i'm left wondering why limiters like the tc md3 brickwall don't have (too many) bass distortion issues.

Any chance of an auto release.. I'm forever faffing about with the release times on these things, and most autos now do a better job than me.

Anyway, thank you for this. It sounds damn fine as it is, and I love the convenience of having this in a JS. Quality!
Well auto release is a tough one, because it means calculating the release time dynamically based on overtime, frequency density in the various ranges, etc... so, sorry, but no. If you want pseudo auto release just leave it at its default setting and it should be okay.

Regarding the low frequency distortion, well with the algorithm this limiter is based on its a compromise between high frequency responsiveness vs low frequency distortion, and I think that the way it is right now is a good compromise. Also if you are talking about the limiter from the tc electronic MD3 Stereo Mastering bundle then you must know that that bundle, which only contains 2 plug-ins costs around 1000 bucks, so you'd expect it to be good. Also for the $1000 they don't give away their source code, right?
I mean there is nothing super secret in the code itself, though like I said this is as far as I'll go giving stuff away for free that's really supposed to have a price tag. This is really about empowering people, well people that use REAPER anyway, so they get some decent quality FX to mix with. This isn't about replacing commercial plug-ins here (I don't really want to anyway). Commercial plug-ins are for people actually making a living with audio. This here is really just a gift to anyone wanting a decent limiter, but can't affort doesn't want (because recording is only a hobby) to spend any money on it.

So you must understand this. You aren't recording your clients for free either, do you?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #24
griz lee

I totally understand your point. Also, I know the price of the TC to which i'm making a comparison, but source code complexity doesn't really come into it. A good algo is a good algo, be it a few lines or a few thousand.

I'm willing to bet some uber-price products sometimes only contain a few lines of code with a really glitzy retro interface strapped on !!

Based on what I hear, i'd also wager that some EQ's i've purchased previously in the bad-old-days (pre Reaper) are in fact only re-hased RBJ algos.

I can see that it's complex argument, particularly if you need to make your living from software. This won't stop people asking for new features unfortunately, but you've got to remember that most folk around here probably absolutely respect the work you've done and are very grateful for the free products you've released.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
LOSER

Quote:
I totally understand your point. Also, I know the price of the TC to which i'm making a comparison, but source code complexity doesn't really come into it. A good algo is a good algo, be it a few lines or a few thousand.

I'm willing to bet some uber-price products sometimes only contain a few lines of code with a really glitzy retro interface strapped on !!

Based on what I hear, i'd also wager that some EQ's i've purchased previously in the bad-old-days (pre Reaper) are in fact only re-hased RBJ algos.

I can see that it's complex argument, particularly if you need to make your living from software. This won't stop people asking for new features unfortunately, but you've got to remember that most folk around here probably absolutely respect the work you've done and are very grateful for the free products you've released.
Well good code is certainly short, but my point was that TC electronic doesn't give there source code away (in JS you have to! no matter what). If this wasn't a JS but a VST I'd totally would try to improve the low frequency distortion, but it isn't.

Also btw regarding the RBJ "algorithm", it is really just a methode of calculating the filter coefficients of second-order IIR filters, which I'm pretty sure everyone who has got the math and dsp skills for it can calculate on his/her own .
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #26
griz lee

It's ok Loser, nobody is asking you to do anything you don't want to do or can't justify economically - i was trying to be careful to make that point but it appears to have gone wrong somewhere down the line.

I'm a bit dazzled by the sound quality of some of the JS available: there really is some very sophisticated 'high price' stuff in there if you like.

I'm going to jump off this particular ship here, just to say 'thanks for a great limiter'.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #27
LOSER

Quote:
It's ok Loser, nobody is asking you to do anything you don't want to do or can't justify economically - i was trying to be careful to make that point but it appears to have gone wrong somewhere down the line.

I'm a bit dazzled by the sound quality of some of the JS available: there really is some very sophisticated 'high price' stuff in there if you like.

I'm going to jump off this particular ship here, just to say 'thanks for a great limiter'.
Hey its all cool. Just wait until my new VST stuff is coming out to see some REALLY amazing stuff .
Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
teej813

whoa! michael, this DOES sound good. Thanks!

oh, and while i'm thinking about it, i also tried your StereoWithLimiter today. nicely done!

tj
Old 03-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #29
robg

Quote:
Well good code is certainly short, but my point was that TC electronic doesn't give there source code away (in JS you have to! no matter what).
Maybe we should have an International Obfuscated JS Code Contest to catch up to the C crowd
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #30
shogger

Quote:
Hey its all cool. Just wait until my new VST stuff is coming out to see some REALLY amazing stuff .
Hey Michael,

I'm doing exactly that!

JS Limiter: Really like it. This is good stuff.
Man, you definitely built up a good reputation in the past which makes me to like to buy your "REALLY amazing stuff" if it is really that much better as you say.

Shogger

P.S. Any time frame for the "REALLY amazing stuff"?
shogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #31
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogger View Post
Hey Michael,

I'm doing exactly that!

JS Limiter: Really like it. This is good stuff.
Man, you definitely built up a good reputation in the past which makes me to like to buy your "REALLY amazing stuff" if it is really that much better as you say.

Shogger

P.S. Any time frame for the "REALLY amazing stuff"?
Well to some they might not necessary sound better, but they are/will definitifly cleaner, more transparent and in a way more surgical. Just imagine my precious plug-ins were boxers, operating on brute force, than my new ones will be ninjas, silently, undetectable, deadly, underestimated little folks with no-frills, or something like that anyway .

The time-frame currently looks something like spending alot of my spare time finishing my new dsp/plug-in framework, so they will be done when they're done.

Last edited by LOSER; 03-22-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #32
Anomaly

Hello

This is very promising sounding limiter.
However, I'm having strange problem with this, and even stranger is that nobody else has mentioned about it so far...??

The threshold and ceiling sliders only work at their min and max positions, but not between. When I try to move it, it just jumps to either position..

Is there a way to fix this?

Also, if there is supposed to be a gain reduction meter (graphics), it doesn't work either. Only numerical value show up.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #33
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Hello

This is very promising sounding limiter.
However, I'm having strange problem with this, and even stranger is that nobody else has mentioned about it so far...??
[...]
Because noone expirenced it so far?

Anyway here is how it should look like and here (and I bet for the majority of all the others) it works:
Old 03-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #34
Vinz Clortho

Like the rest, thanks for the awesome new limiter. It's my new go-to limiter.
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #35
Anomaly

Hello Loser,

Yes, I figured that out it might my private special issue. Probably there's some solar spot activity at the moment, or something...

However, I have no idea why that problem occurs in my system. It seems like JS doesn't allow slider steps smaller than 1 under some conditions. Release slider works fine.

And no, the graphics doesn't look like that here either.

But thanks anyway..
Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #36
Wolffman

Hi LOSER
Realy like this limiter, and appreciate your generousity.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of the link stereo slider ? and how should it be used for best results.
Cheers
Wolffman

Last edited by Wolffman; 03-23-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: can't spell
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #37
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Hello Loser,

Yes, I figured that out it might my private special issue. Probably there's some solar spot activity at the moment, or something...

However, I have no idea why that problem occurs in my system. It seems like JS doesn't allow slider steps smaller than 1 under some conditions. Release slider works fine.

And no, the graphics doesn't look like that here either.

But thanks anyway..
Weird . Could it be that you edited the files or maybe it got corrupted? Could you get it again and see? Because it definitifly works fine here.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #38
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Hi LOSER
Realy like this limiter, and appreciate your generousity.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of the link stereo slider ? and how should it be used for best results.
Cheers
Wolffman
I links the 2 channels. That means with link set to 0% both channels get compressed independently from each other, as if you'd have two limiters, one for each stereo channel. While with link set to 100% both channels get compressed equally with the identical gain reduction.
So e.g. you have material where one channel has lots of transients while the other channel hasn't you'd unlink the two (set link to something <100%), so the channel without the transients doesn't pump.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #39
Anomaly

Quote:
Weird . Could it be that you edited the files or maybe it got corrupted? Could you get it again and see? Because it definitifly works fine here.
I tried re-downloading it, but that didn't help.
The fix was just to try it again later, and then it suddenly started to work. So it's definitely some solar action going on..

Cheers
Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #40
Vospi

Could someone please re-upload this script?
The site is down, searching the stash gives me only a GUI for that.
It would be very interesting to take a look at another take on limiting.
Vospi is offline   Reply With Quote