Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Anthony Locke
Human being with feelings

Default Korg Nano Kontrol 2 Perfect Compatibility Guide (no keymaps required!)

So I bought a Korg Nano Kontrol 2 today and it was quite an ordeal to setup, and I know there are many, many out there who are having trouble with it. I spent hours scouring the net and I've finally found a setup that is simple, requires only one small download from the Reaper Forum, and allows you to use this tool in the way intended without hiccups.

If you're new to this stuff it may look daunting but trust me it is not. Just go step by step and you'll be using your control surface in a matter of minutes.

If you are a MAC user unfortunately it's been a very, very long time since I've used a MAC so I'm not sure how this all corresponds to that. But if this guide can help you with your troubles feel free to post how you solved your mac problem and I'll see if I can't add it to the main post.

In this guide I will go step by step from the very beginning.

1.If you are on a windows OS you may be running into an issue where it won't recognize the Nano Kontrol 2. This happens when your registry has 10 or more midi drivers listed. It's a problem with the Korg. So before you Plugin the Korg and install the drivers from their site, first follow these steps. (See step C if you were like me and thought it would be insta plug and play. But make sure afterwords you read from the beginning.)

A. Click Start, type "regedit" this will open your Registry Editor. Click the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>MICROSOFT>WINDOWS NT>DRIVERS32. Now in between Windows NT and DRIVERS32 there may be a folder called CURRENT VERSION, you may have to open that to get to DRIVERS32

B. Locate Midi 1 and midi 2. Delete them. DON'T PANIC, they will re-install themselves at a lower priority (Higher Number) automatically. All you are doing is making room for the Korg to take the 1 or 2 priority, no biggie. If you have no midi 1 or 2 then don't worry about it.

C. THIS STEP IS FOR PEOPLE WHO INSTALLED THE DRIVERS BEFORE FINDING THIS GUIDE. IF YOU FOLLOWED THE GUIDE BEFORE ATTEMPTING INSTALLATION PLEASE SKIP!

In C:>Program Files (x86)>KORG>KORG USB-MIDI Driver you'll find a utility at the bottom called UninstDrv. Basically this un-installs the drivers. You're going to open it and it will tell you exactly which midi slot your Nano Kontrol 2 is occupying (mine was in 29, again, if its above 10 chances are good the Korg will NOT work.) So check the box and un-install that driver, allow it to delete that registry key if so prompted. Double check that it's gone by running the regedit in the above. Be sure to also un-install Korg KONTROL editor. That can be found in C:>Program Files (X86)>KORG>KORG KONTROL Editor. But you should un-install it via control panel> Programs and Features> Un-install.Be sure to go into Control Panel> Device Manager and un-install the windows driver associated withe the Korg. That's critical!

Once You've done this (and made sure that midi 1 and 2 are clear) you can go ahead and move on in this guide.

2.Push and Hold the set button AND the Record button on your korg as you plugin your Korg. This button combo sets it for Cakewalk Sonar but it works perfectly for reaper, be sure to press this combo anytime you plugin your Nano Kontrol2! You should see the record button flash a few times. Next You will see it automatically install it's basic windows driver. Then proceed here

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=596

to download the required drivers and Kontrol Editor.

A. Install the Downloaded Drivers FIRST. Install the Kontrol Editor SECOND. You'll know everything is working if when you install the Downloaded Drivers a window called KORG Driver Setup Utility opens.

3. Follow the link and download Mackie Control Klinke from the Reaper Forums

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818

A. Install to C:Program Files> Reaper (x64)> Plugins. You may need to go into the MCU folder>64bit_version and copy and paste the file into the Plugins directory.

4. Open Reaper>Options>Preferences. Click on Midi devices and enable the Nano Kontrol2 (right click ENABLE. BUT DO NOT CLICK ENABLE FOR CONTROL MESSAGES. That would be a no no) Enable it's output as well!

A. Still in preferences, scroll to the bottom, click "Control Surfaces." Click "Add" and select "Mackie Control (Klinke v.8.2.3)(Dev 3,4)"

5. You're done! Go make some music!

SIDE NOTE:

There are some Keymap profiles out there, while I applaud the effort, I haven't found any on here that give full control of the device. This method will allow you to correctly select banks of 8 tracks at a time while being able to control each track manually. All transport, slider, and pan functions work correctly. None of the controls interfere with each other (If you used regular Mackie Control moving multiple sliders would create a mess, hence the Klinke version which fixes that problem.)

Below are all the links to how I found all this out. I hope this guide isn't too long winded and is clear. If you have any trouble after following the guide please post and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. You can visit the source material to try and figure it out, but keep in mind that you'll have to look through some comments to fully figure it out.

Cheers!

SOURCE MATERIAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OfwDr8oYQ

http://songwritingandrecordingtips.w...2-with-reaper/

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818

Last edited by Anthony Locke; 11-30-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Anthony Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
Anthony Locke

Just to add onto this. You'll also want to set your keyboard and various controllers to a midi channel that is higher than channel 9. The mackie protocol likes to use "note on" for some reason, so you'll get annoying notes playing when you hit the buttons on the transport. However it stops using "note on" after channel 9. All other functions remain the same and work as intended.

I have my keyboard set to channel 16. Problem solved.

Oh and the other thing, sometimes (very rarely) for some reason the midi priority in the Registry gets bumped and your Korg will stop working for "seemingly no reason" (I say it's magic, but what do I know.) What's happened is that it's gotten bumped passed 10 for whatever reason (magic) and you've got to go in (following the guide) and delete one of the midi registry keys, the korg registry key, the korg drivers, and simply reset the korg and re-install it's driver. At which point it should hook up just fine. You might not be able to delete the windows driver in the device manager but that only means that it's already gone so if you don't see it, don't worry about it. If all else fails, start from the beginning of the guide, it's a pain in the butt (trust me I know, I've had to re-follow my own guide twice now) but it'll work.

My non-magic theory is that the registry key gets bumped when installing a new piece of midi related hardware and it takes priority. Just a guess, I don't know, I'm not really a software guy but that would make some logical sense. Let's be real though, "magic" has pizzazz.

Enjoy your Nano Kontrol2!

Cheers!

Last edited by Anthony Locke; 04-18-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #3
Luca_B

oooh!
Thanks Anthony, now I'm going to try your guide.
Luca_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Luca_B

I've skipped the first part, that is the one concerning the registry system,
because I've installed korg drivers before finding your guide.
So I seen via the UnistDrv tool that nano kontrol were in slot 6.
Then I followed the rest of the guide.
Great, sliders and knobs can works simultaneously !!!
Thanks again.
Luca_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Serenitynow

Will this work for the original Nanokontrol (1)?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #6
Anthony Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
Will this work for the original Nanokontrol (1)?
Hi,

I don't own a NanoKontrol 1 so I can't honestly say, but I would think it would. But give it a shot and let us know if it does!

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Anthony Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca_B View Post
I've skipped the first part, that is the one concerning the registry system,
because I've installed korg drivers before finding your guide.
So I seen via the UnistDrv tool that nano kontrol were in slot 6.
Then I followed the rest of the guide.
Great, sliders and knobs can works simultaneously !!!
Thanks again.
No problem! Glad I could help!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
milo2112

Followed you guide. Nice work. The only thing which is not functioning properly is the cycle key, it triggers the metronome rather than the loop function. Any thoughts why that is?

\m/(><)\m/
milo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Anthony Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo2112 View Post
Followed you guide. Nice work. The only thing which is not functioning properly is the cycle key, it triggers the metronome rather than the loop function. Any thoughts why that is?
That one I don't actually know, to be honest I didn't realize it was supposed to cue the loop function because I like that it triggers the metronome (just fits my workflow).

I suppose you'd have to edit the Mackie keys? But I'm not sure how you'd go about it. Sorry about that.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
milo2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Locke View Post
That one I don't actually know, to be honest I didn't realize it was supposed to cue the loop function because I like that it triggers the metronome (just fits my workflow).

I suppose you'd have to edit the Mackie keys? But I'm not sure how you'd go about it. Sorry about that.
I figure 99% expected functionality is pretty good in my book. I suspect it is a slight mis-mapping of the Mackie keys and the nano keys. No biggie.

\m/(><)\m/
milo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
matthewfweiner

Default nanoo nanoo

Works great! Faders and pans, mutes, record arm, solos, transport AND it pages through sets of faders (8 at a time). Thx!
matthewfweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
Villain S Deeds

I appreciate the effort, but this does not make it work any better. Still the problem persists, with the sliders controlling multiple tracks. The whole reason I purchased the nanokontrol 2 (besides the affordability) was because the Internet told me it works perfectly fine with Reaper. It does not. It seems one must either switch to a different DAW (I'd rather not) or return the stupid, cheap nano to the store (but I don't want to; I want the damn thing to work). So damn frustrating...

~§~ Villain S. Deeds, Esq. ~§~
Villain S Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
darthdeath

I tried this and all works perfect!!! try again step by step.

Anyone knows how to use the soft takeover function in actions? it really mess the mix when you change tracks or songs.

I go to actions, search for midi volume, click add button but soft takeover is dimm, i cannot click it.
darthdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
mikeroephonics

Thanks for this walkthrough! I got a NanoKontrol 2 last week and can't get REAPER to see it. I'll follow your steps tonight to get it up and running.

This is really a clusterfuck when you think about it. These devices should simply plug in and work right away. I will never buy another Korg product. If they can't get this $60 MIDI controller to work right, why should we risk dropping thousands of dollars on something like a Korg Triton or Kronos?

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:28 AM   #15
ivansc

Mike - this is more a function of the Nano having to deal with multiple computer setups and of course multiple DAWs. My 2 Nanokontrol-1s work just fine in Reaper, Sonar and Studio One.
You are very unlikely to find any controller that you can just plugin in and it works.

Can`t really blame Korg for not addressing every single Daw/hardware combination on the planet, can you?
Spend a little time with the provided Korg editor.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #16
mikeroephonics

The NanoKontrol 2 is the only USB MIDI device I've had trouble connecting to any of my DAWs throughout the years. I think that by following its instruction manual to install its driver and then expecting it to show up as a MIDI input device in REAPER is completely reasonable.

I'll try again tonight to get it to work with Mackie Control Klinke.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:07 AM   #17
ivansc

Clarification makes it all "clear"! (grin)
Funny thing is I had all sorts of issues with the original Korg method of making the Nano 1s work in anything, including Sonar at the time! Reaper was actually the first DAW I own where I got it working, but I now have it working in everything but Studio One for some reason.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #18
lolilol1975

In video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTwjJNpq94

And an unexpected usage of the nK2, with Adobe Lightroom:*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVI3W22_ko
and Photoshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nWHf0WVgQ

Last edited by lolilol1975; 11-18-2016 at 11:48 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
mikeroephonics

I'd just like to mention that I got my NanoKontrol 2 to work perfectly with Stylus RMX and Omnisphere as a MIDI controller by following your steps regarding the registry edits. I did, however, have to manually re-enter the "midi2" entry in the registry, copying the "value data" from "midi3". Otherwise, only the NanoKontrol 2's MIDI OUT port would show up in REAPER.

I may have messsed something up along the way to get to that point, but I don't think I did. In any event, it works for my purposes.

If you only need this device for sending MIDI messages to VSTis, I think you can get it to work without installing the Mackie Klinke control surface software, as described above.

Thanks for this tutorial!

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 11-19-2016 at 07:34 PM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #20
lolilol1975

I have a question: does the nK2 work with Reaper nested folders ? If yes, how does it behave ?
In every vid I've seen, the user didn't use folders.

Looks like it's possible with the BCF2000 by following this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=117909 (see post #9)

Does it work with the nK2 ?

Last edited by lolilol1975; 11-20-2016 at 08:25 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #21
fuadramsey

Default Folders and the NanoKontrol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
I have a question: does the nK2 work with Reaper nested folders ? If yes, how does it behave ?
In every vid I've seen, the user didn't use folders.

Looks like it's possible with the BCF2000 by following this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=117909 (see post #9)

Does it work with the nK2 ?
Yes, but there's a trick that took me a while to figure out. I didn't want the faders to control what's in the folders. You need to change the settings in the plugin.

It wasn't exactly clear to me how to get into the MCU plugin settings with my nanoKontrol2 so here is a step by step that works for me:

Use v.08 version of Klinke's MCU plugin for Reaper It will toggle banks of tracks so you can control faders by sections: tracks 1-8, then press the track forward button on the controller to control faders on tracks 9-16 and so on.

Also Folder track control (ignore children)
- edit Klinke's Plugin MCU settings. You need to access Klinke's plugin menu in Reaper. The only way to get to this is with special hardware buttons on the controller that the Kontrol2 doesn't have. But you can emulate this function by using Klinke's imported actions from his plugin file download.

These are custom actions for Reaper to use with his plugin. Import the actions into Reaper. Create a custom action that does both actions at once. Once imported in Reaper you will see these in the actions:

1) Mackie Control Klinke: Vpot Assign Pan/Surround (key)

2) Mackie Control Klinke: Alt modifier (button)

This will get you into the MCU editor, where you can assign anchor points or jumps that effect how the controller reacts to or ignores folders in Reaper.
fuadramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #22
fuadramsey

Default How to assign master track to fader 8?

Got everything working on my BEFORE I found this thread!!! It works great in Sonar mode as instructed . . .

I only need two more things:

1) Lock the master track fader to the 8th fader on the nanKontrol2

2) enable/disaable "soft takeover" with the faders. This is a setting where the fader won't move in Reaper until your physical fader gets to that same point. This is useful if you want to bring up a track level, without the REaper fader jumping to the spot where your control fader is at.

-I know how to do this in CC mode, but the controller will only work on tracks 1-8.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #23
fuadramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuadramsey View Post
Got everything working on my BEFORE I found this thread!!! It works great in Sonar mode as instructed . . .

I only need two more things:

1) Lock the master track fader to the 8th fader on the nanKontrol2

2) enable/disaable "soft takeover" with the faders. This is a setting where the fader won't move in Reaper until your physical fader gets to that same point. This is useful if you want to bring up a track level, without the REaper fader jumping to the spot where your control fader is at.

-I know how to do this in CC mode, but the controller will only work on tracks 1-8.
I was able to map the master fader with the action "Track: set volume for master track"and learning the MIDI command by moving the fader,but it will also move the 8th track in the group. Any idea how to let that go?
Old 04-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #24
Billkwando

Quote:
C. THIS STEP IS FOR PEOPLE WHO INSTALLED THE DRIVERS BEFORE FINDING THIS GUIDE. IF YOU FOLLOWED THE GUIDE BEFORE ATTEMPTING INSTALLATION PLEASE SKIP!

In C:>Program Files (x86)>KORG>KORG USB-MIDI Driver you'll find a utility at the bottom called UninstDrv. Basically this un-installs the drivers. You're going to open it and it will tell you exactly which midi slot your Nano Kontrol 2 is occupying
In my case, When I ran UninstDrv, I tried hitting the Options button and unchecking the box that says "Delete KORG MIDI devices only". When I did this, everything between 1 and 10 was "USB Audio Device" stuff I didn't recognize, so I just removed those instead and the nanokontrol2 was recognized, without having to uninstall.

NOTE: for folks as dense as me, simply enabling the Mackie Klinke option in the control surface menu isn't enough, while you're in there, you also have to choose nanokontrol2 as the input and output from the drop-downs, otherwise you'll be a confused panda like me.

I still don't understand the issue folks are having with Mackie and multiple faders. Can someone explain it to me so I can verify I don't have the problem too? I haven't seen it. Everything appears to be working perfectly (at least in the 5 minutes I've had it working, anyway). It even seems to be holding the Sonar/Cakewalk preset in the KORG, after multiple plugs and replugs, w/o having to redo the button combo (which I was worried I would forget in 5 minutes and need to google again).

Edit: Did anyone figure out how to enable "soft takeover"? I have that on my EZBus upstairs, and would like to have it down here with the KORG too.

Last edited by Billkwando; 04-19-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Billkwando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #25
ouoertheo

I found this very useful. I have the nanoKontrol Studio and after some tinkering and multiple reinstalls/regedits without success I found one step was really all that needed to happen on my end for the wireless midi to show up in Reaper after pairing the device:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
Manually modify the following values:
midi1 = KORGBM64.drv
midi2 = KORGBM64.drv

When I reinstalled the BTE drivers for the nanoKontroller, those values went straight to wdmaud.drv which never worked. Manually setting them both to the korg driver worked like a charm.
ouoertheo is offline   Reply With Quote