Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #81
G-Sun
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
I would think so since almost every major DAW out there has better surface controller support.
Ok, then it's just a matter of time I guess, before the devs dig into these protocols
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #82
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Ok, then it's just a matter of time I guess, before the devs dig into these protocols
I should hope so. I have been holding my breath and have been waiting to exhale with baited air for over three years and have to use multiple DAWs to get the job done.

You guys get a new King or sumthin?
Nevermind,... that is in the Netherlands. Close but no cigar.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #83
HIO

Default lip3k

lip3k,

Just curious. Did you come to some resolution with the Icon Qcon Pro and Reaper?

Has support still not contacted you?

Do they still not have the presets that were promised long ago?

Do you need me to call them for you to ask the questions you have?

I am in the U.S. and have free long distance with a speaker phone so unless they were to put me on permahold (sic) I could do it for you and report back
here.

Here In Oregon
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #84
ivansc

Harking back to my original post, I (fortunately) was put off icon because their products appeared to be overpriced copies of someone elses hardware.

And now it appears that they aren`t too hot on customer service.

Me? I have been using several different control surfaces which all work fine with Reaper. Behri BCF2000, BCR2000, Korg Nano Series, Akai Mini.

The only one I had any issues with was the dreaded Automap-driven Notation Remote Zero SL. Pain in the butt.

I am currently using 2 Nanokontrols and a Nanopad which actually take up less desk space than a BCF, but do everything I need from a controller.

But in the meantime, is there still no news on the icon Qcon Pro?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #85
tomibrod

Default question

Hi,

I've just purchased Qcon Pro yesterday.
Almost everything seems to work fine with ProTools LE8, except:
- Master fader doesn't controls my master channel in PT session, actually doesn't controls anything.
- Automation assignments such read, write, latch etc. also doesn't do anything.
Could anyone help me how to set up?
Thank's,
Tamas
tomibrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #86
Chris Martins

Hi.
You do realize this is the Reaper boards right ?
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #87
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
Hi.
You do realize this is the Reaper boards right ?
XD

Brilliant.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #88
daxliniere

Regarding the use of QCon EX without QCon Pro, was this implemented in one of the several extensions?

I already use Alphatrack for transport as it works well with my workflow and I like the idea of a control surface with just faders due to the smaller footprint.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #89
jerome

Hi there,

iCON have actually programmed a Reaper mode for the QConPro but except for basic functions (faders, select, solo, mutes, transport.....), other buttons have no effect on Reaper mainly because the Mackie Protocol is not fully implemented in Reaper.

So, here is a blank overlay that iCON would like users to fill in with the functions they would like to see implemented in the Reaper mode on the QCOn Pro.

Please, could you fill it in, or maybe work together and create one that would work for most users and I'll forward it to iCON so they can investigate further.

It turns out that they contacted Reaper's development team some time ago but never got any answer from them. They would have likes to create a native mode for Reaper....

It's a bit like Steinberg and the Mackie C4 which never worked in Cubase because they refused to implement it.

Cheers.
Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper.jpg (13.5 KB, 522 views)
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #90
sqby

For me - the plugin that Klinke has made suits 90% of my needs.
If the Icon could manage to make it work on EX and also implement working send automation via controller that would be everything that I wanted.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #91
Fredj

For me, if the Reaper's development team is agree to implement the QCon, iCON team can take the Cubase's overlay for instance and implement the same functionalities to begin.. it will be perfect ! ;-)
Fredj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #92
jerome

Hi !

I totally agree, but, strangely enough, the iCON team has tried to contact Cockos programmers but never got any answer from them.

I think Klinke is on a very good track. If his plugin could be easily edited (I mean without needing programming skills) it would be what most users would like. Eventually, iCON will contact him and see what can be done.

Cheers.
Jay
Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #93
Fredj

Klinke's plugin as an alternative ? why not :-)
I didn't tried it (thought it was more suitable for mackie or BCR controlers..) but if it handles Pro + Ex correctly, it could be an option to consider...
Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #94
Fredj

...and BCR users are lucky boys !
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60110
I'd like to see same thing for the Qcon...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #95
taivanski

Today QCon Pro was delivered to me and honestly - I don't have any problems right now. For about half a year I used MCU and now get mine contoller for DAW and iCon did it great.

Not all keys work natively (assignment section and marker, nudge, drop & replace buttons), but it's still really good.

It's pretty solid and bigger than MCU.

We'll see what happened with KLINKE... and in the future.
taivanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #96
jerome

Hi !

Well it seems you have never used it with Cubase. Everything is controllable as if it were a real hardware mixer. Without the need to program anything...it is just plug and play.

iCON contacted Cockos to work on something with them but Cockos never answered.
Shame !

Cheers
Jay
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #97
Fredj

Cockos staff seems to consider that control surface implementation is a minor issue... :-(
For me they are wrong. And I should have been ready to pay a bit more to get a Reaper licence which implements news items like "iCON QPro Controller" and "iCon QPro Ex Controller"...

If this kind of implementation is too hard for them, why don't they allow people to join an open source project for this module ? it has been done for Novation's automap... See last page:
http://www.p-c-m.org/temp/reaper_csu...map_manual.pdf
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #98
Klinke

The SDK (software development kit) for Reaper Control Surface extensions is free and downloadable from the Cockos side. So nothing should stop iCON to do this. And in my experience says that Cockos is really responisve, if an external developer send them precise request about a SDK improvment.

Using my extension (https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker/csurf_klinke_mcu) as a starting point would be a little bit more complicated, because it is released under the GPL licence, which include some paragraphs about the distribution of the software. E.g. the licence does not allow, that a extension under the GPL licence is part of the Reaper installer. But if iCON would bought a licence for JUCE and contact me about a licence exception of my code for there extension this would be solvable.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #99
sqby

That would be great!
But it won't probably happen in near future I suppose.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #100
Fredj

It's one of the reason I keep on making music with Cubase serenely...

Klinke> according to Jerome (see above), apparently Cockos are not really responsive with iCon team...
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #101
masterfreek

Sorry but i'm not understand. icon Qcon pro will work with reaper windows 7 64bit?
masterfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #102
sqby

Yes it will. (Put it in logic mode). Just the Qcon EX does not work.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #103
masterfreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqby View Post
Yes it will. (Put it in logic mode). Just the Qcon EX does not work.
and one pro and one ex coupled?
masterfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #104
daxliniere

QCon EX does work on its own, you just need to put it in Samplitude mode to get the screen to work.

The problem is that you can't bank switch from the surface.
I also didn't test the automation writing capability, but it certainly moves faders based on playback from REAPER.

At some time I'm going to write to ICon about re-mapping some of the buttons to bank & channel switch commands so QCon EX can be used alone.

Last edited by daxliniere; 08-26-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #105
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
The problem is that you can't bank switch from the surface.
In the case that you use my extension: since the latest release, you can assign keyboard buttons to the bank switch function.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #106
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
In the case that you use my extension: since the latest release, you can assign keyboard buttons to the bank switch function.
Ahh, that's fantastic, Klinke!
Are there track switch actions, too? (Bank switch = 8 up/down, track switch = 1 up/down) and can these actions be bound to the record arm buttons? (I will never use those for their original purpose.)

Last edited by daxliniere; 08-27-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #107
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Ahh, that's fantastic, Klinke!
Are there track switch actions, too? (Bank switch = 8 up/down, track switch = 1 up/down) and can these actions be bound to the record arm buttons? (I will never use those for their original purpose.)
Yep, there are also track switch action, I created for all buttons of the MCU a corresponding action. But you can not bound them to the record arm buttons, because they can not trigger actions. A possible work around could be to use a cheap MIDI controller like from the Korg nano series to extend the Qcon Ex with some assignable buttons.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #108
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
Yep, there are also track switch action, I created for all buttons of the MCU a corresponding action. But you can not bound them to the record arm buttons, because they can not trigger actions. A possible work around could be to use a cheap MIDI controller like from the Korg nano series to extend the Qcon Ex with some assignable buttons.
Thankyou Klinke, that is absolutely fantastic news.
Thank you so much for your hard work.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #109
Manight

Hallo Jerome,
are there any "official" news from QCon on that subject?
They send that "form" to compile so it seems they were insterested in deploying a "native" reaper library for Qcon. This would really be a breakthrough for all the people interested in buy Qcon pro (+ex) and have it working like in Cubase without tricks and workarounds.
Manight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #110
milosh

If Reaper starts working with control surfaces like Qcon pro flawlessly it is going to be a kick ass DAW. I hope it will happen soon.
milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #111
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post
If Reaper starts working with control surfaces like Qcon pro flawlessly it is going to be a kick ass DAW. I hope it will happen soon.
Soon??? Seeing that this thread has been sowing for around a year and a half, I don't think so.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #112
lip3k

Default New firmware for ICON Qcon

Hi guys

just to resurrect this thread a little please check out ICON's website for new firmware v.1.08 Finally there's Reaper support. Thou I still have to test it more thoroughly so far it's stable and working properly.

btw my problems with incorrect panning values (in flip mode) are history !

Cheers
Chris
lip3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #113
chicogd

I’ve tried to install the 1.08v firmware to get the support from Reaper's Qcon Pro and I followed the right steps but the loading bar stopped somewhere in the middle during the process and never finished loading. Then I got a Windows error message with two options: to close the program o to wait for the process to finish. I chose the second one, but nothing has happened in a long while. The Qcon display shows "Firmware Upgrade", but I'm afraid to reboot the system and lose that firmware.
chicogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #114
lip3k

@ chicogd

well, Icon's firmware upgrade software is in deed a tricky pony. Have you manage to upgrade it eventually ?

In case you're still holding your unit powered on and haven't touched anything just power it down and start the whole procedure again. Either you've already "damaged" your unit by faulty firmware upgrade (and there's nothing you can do about it) or you haven't started the procedure and everything is fine (had that once).

One thing that I've noticed about that app is it can crash before any firmware is erased, causing you a small heart attack no worries thou - it eventually gets the job done !

cheers
Old 05-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #115
dixo

Can anyone share any experiences/knowledge with the "Reaper" mode of the 1.08 firmware of the Qcon Pro?

Does it fully support Reaper, or are things missing?
Will it still require the Klinke plugin, or is that optional now, or does the Klinke plugin offer better functionality/integration?
Are Qcon EX units now supported?

I am really looking for an affordable but complete control surface to use with Reaper (under Windows 7), and the Qcon Pro seems to have very nice specs. But from what I read control surfaces are generally not very well supported under Reaper and require quite a lot of fiddling to get them working, even with limited functionality. Is that still the case or have things improved over time?

Thanks!
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #116
Marv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixo View Post
Can anyone share any experiences/knowledge with the "Reaper" mode of the 1.08 firmware of the Qcon Pro?
I would like to push this thread again, as I am interested in the very same question. I'm currently on the verge of getting a Qcon Pro and am contemplating a switch to Cubase for its capabilities with regard to controllers. But: I really don't want to switch to Cubase. :/

Is there anything coming up regarding (DAW) controller support? Reaper 5 maybe?
Marv! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #117
Manight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixo View Post

Does it fully support Reaper, or are things missing?
Will it still require the Klinke plugin, or is that optional now, or does the Klinke plugin offer better functionality/integration?
Are Qcon EX units now supported?

I am really looking for an affordable but complete control surface to use with Reaper (under Windows 7), and the Qcon Pro seems to have very nice specs. But from what I read control surfaces are generally not very well supported under Reaper and require quite a lot of fiddling to get them working, even with limited functionality. Is that still the case or have things improved over time?

Thanks!
lip3k please give us some insight! It seems you have all the answers on that and I'm quite interested in the exact same questions as well!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #118
lip3k

Hi all...

I'll chime in here in a sec and let you guys know how it behaves... right now i'm literally swamped with work :/

Cheers
Chris
Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #119
Manight

Thank you boss no hurry of course!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #120
phonofranz

I'm interested in the QCON too... I see a new firmware 1.09 available now.