Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
ejecheni
Human being with feelings

Default Realtime Guitar to Midi Converter

Hi all,

There is a new free audio to midi converter (VST/AU) from Bituosity called MiGiC (http://www.bituosity.com/). I installed it on my mac (Mountain Lion OSX) and tried in Reaper 4.76 64-bit version. The plug-in is able to recognize the notes in the screen as I'm playing the guitar. However, when I try to trigger midi notes on a different plugin (e.g. ReaSynth), it doesn't transmit the MIDI signal. I've done a similar job using with Reatune and it works OK (although not a fast as in the developer video).

I wonder if any of you guys have tried this software in Reaper?

Cheers,
Juan Pablo
ejecheni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
Fergler

I just tried it (and thanks for the heads up, hadn't seen this plugin, and that is a very generous release format they are doing!) and it is working for me.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
ejecheni

Hi Fergler,

What OS are you using ? Would be nice if you can describe how you made it work...

Cheers
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Fergler

Sure.

Windows 64bit, Reaper 64bit, 64bit MiGiC

1 track with record arm and monitoring on, FX chain:

MiGiC
ReaSynth

Last edited by Fergler; 04-07-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Fergler

Eh, tried it out live and it was a terrible exprience. Barely could get any working notes out of it. Nothing at all like his demo, so I'm really curious what was different. I met the input gain that it wants, too. Many wrong octave and wrong pitch notes and the bend doesn't work well at all.

ReaTune is much better, for now.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejecheni View Post
I wonder if any of you guys have tried this software in Reaper?
To the OP, have you tried MidiGuitar? See it here...

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/.

This works fairly well, give it a try if you like, there's a demo available.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
ejecheni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
To the OP, have you tried MidiGuitar? See it here...

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/.

This works fairly well, give it a try if you like, there's a demo available.

Thanks, it looks nice. I'll have try in the night.

On the other hand, MiGiC really works in the Windows version of Reaper. In the OS X version, it doesn't transmit the MIDI notes to the next plug-in ... perhaps because MiGiC it's still a Beta version.

Personally, I was looking for a free software. Many times, in my mixing stage, I need to add a little bit of low-end energy to the bass track (post-recording), by triggering a sine function of one octave lower. I tend to use ReaTune, but it usually takes a lot of editing work within the generated midi track. I thought MiGiC could do the job nicely.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Fergler

Quote:

On the other hand, MiGiC really works in the Windows version of Reaper. In the OS X version, it doesn't transmit the MIDI notes to the next plug-in ... perhaps because MiGiC it's still a Beta version.

Personally, I was looking for a free software. Many times, in my mixing stage, I need to add a little bit of low-end energy to the bass track (post-recording), by triggering a sine function of one octave lower. I tend to use ReaTune, but it usually takes a lot of editing work within the generated midi track. I thought MiGiC could do the job nicely.
I have the tool for you then!
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...opussy&id=1540

Send audio to a second track, set the wet 100% on the octopussy. It will generate the tones and you can then shape it further with EQ. It tracks -extremely- well, I wish the author made a MIDI version.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
philipkarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Eh, tried it out live and it was a terrible exprience. Barely could get any working notes out of it. Nothing at all like his demo, so I'm really curious what was different. I met the input gain that it wants, too. Many wrong octave and wrong pitch notes and the bend doesn't work well at all.

ReaTune is much better, for now.
Hi, I am the creator of MiGiC, sounds like had some bad luck setting up the plugin? Would you mind telling my your settings? (And if its not to much to ask for) to send me a sound file of some samples that generated this terrible experience so I can try to see whats the cause? Just record approximately the same things you played previously.. Also, I would like to point out that this is a free and very early version of the software intended for people to provide me information that can get me closer to a final version (and avoid terrible experiences).

Every note you see in the video is played by me live. Before I released the first beta versions I created the algorithm based on how I play the guitar, therefore I am now looking for feedback to see how other people can use it. There are some clips on youtube and soundcloud in which people use MiGiC and it actually tracks really nice.
philipkarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
philipkarlsson

Quote:

On OS X the midi is delivered to a NEW midi port instead, (not like on Windows). So it does actually work, the only thing you have to do is to tell your synth track to listen to the new midi port and not the plugin. (The new port is called "MiGiC"). I will try to make a tutorial for both versions so that it will be very easy to get up and running. Thank you for being interested in this beta, let me know if it works!

Cheers,
Philip
Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
L_Grizzle

Subscribing to this thread so I can come back later and check these plugins out!
L_Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
ejecheni

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipkarlsson View Post
On OS X the midi is delivered to a NEW midi port instead, (not like on Windows). So it does actually work, the only thing you have to do is to tell your synth track to listen to the new midi port and not the plugin. (The new port is called "MiGiC"). I will try to make a tutorial for both versions so that it will be very easy to get up and running. Thank you for being interested in this beta, let me know if it works!

Cheers,
Philip
Thanks Philip for joining this forum. I'm glad that we may help you improving your software.

I can't find the new midi port you're talking. I've setup other midi controllers in Reaper/OSX, so I think I know how to do it, but in this case MiGic doesn't appear to communicate with reaper. Will be nice to see your tutorial!

Cheers, JP
Old 04-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #13
philipkarlsson

Quote:
Thanks Philip for joining this forum. I'm glad that we may help you improving your software.

I can't find the new midi port you're talking. I've setup other midi controllers in Reaper/OSX, so I think I know how to do it, but in this case MiGic doesn't appear to communicate with reaper. Will be nice to see your tutorial!

Cheers, JP
I just downloaded and installed Reaper, it seems that you are correct (Which is strange since the VST works like that in e.g. Ableton)! I will change so that the VST for Mac will function just like the Windows. Will post an update as soon as I have verified that this works in Reaper. Unfortunately Audio units are not capable of delivering midi out through a pin and will therefore still need to create the new midi port, but this is not a problem since you guys run the VST.

Thank you very much for pointing this out.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #14
philipkarlsson

I have now patched the VST so it works just like the Windows version, and I have successfully tried it in Reaper as well. Its available at www.bituosity.com. Good luck and let me know what you think!
Some general tips so you avoid terrible experiences:

1. Avoid using the compression (comp) at all, (I will need to improve this algorithm).

2. Make sure that your signal doesn't peak!

3. Be careful when setting "sens" and "speed" start from 50 % and work your way up.

4. IMPORTANT, listen to the signal (by checking output and wet). This is the actual sound which will be tracked and if this sounds bad/distorted due to poor settings you will obviously get poor results.

During the weekend I will take some time creating a couple of tutorials of how to setup and use MiGiC.

Best regards,
Philip
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
Fergler

I haven't got around to doing a test for you yet, but I plan to. In the meantime, here are two things that may interest you:

1. The Speed slider was confusing because of its number display - I thought 100 was slower than 0 but its actually the opposite. DAW users imo understand reaction times like this from tools like compressors and delays, so seeing a value implies milliseconds or samples to me. I would recommend indicating which end of the slider is fast/slow.

2. MiGiC is a cool sounding name but you won't get good SEO with it - Google tries to autocorrect to Magic, and it doesn't contain any search terms like guitar, audio, midi, converter, synth, etc. Now, in the early stages, is the best time to correct branding mistakes.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
philipkarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I haven't got around to doing a test for you yet, but I plan to. In the meantime, here are two things that may interest you:

1. The Speed slider was confusing because of its number display - I thought 100 was slower than 0 but its actually the opposite. DAW users imo understand reaction times like this from tools like compressors and delays, so seeing a value implies milliseconds or samples to me. I would recommend indicating which end of the slider is fast/slow.

2. MiGiC is a cool sounding name but you won't get good SEO with it - Google tries to autocorrect to Magic, and it doesn't contain any search terms like guitar, audio, midi, converter, synth, etc. Now, in the early stages, is the best time to correct branding mistakes.
Thank you for the feedback, definitely some things to consider..
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
philipkarlsson

I have now added some tutorials on how to setup the VST and the AU as well as how to configure the different parameters. The tutorials are available here, http://www.bituosity.com/tutorials.html.
Let me know if they are somewhat helpful!

Cheers,
Philip
Old 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
ejecheni

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipkarlsson View Post
I have now added some tutorials on how to setup the VST and the AU as well as how to configure the different parameters. The tutorials are available here, http://www.bituosity.com/tutorials.html.
Let me know if they are somewhat helpful!

Cheers,
Philip
Thanks Philip! Now the plug-in is working pretty good in Reaper.
The tutorials are neat.

There are some cases where the pitch detection fails and triggers a different note. I'll try to send you a guitar track so you can have better feedback.
Cheers,
JP