Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Fiasco
Human being with feelings

Default BCF2000 inputs not recognized / can't assign 'track arming'

I recently bought the Behringer Control Surface BCF2000 and I am currently evaluating Reaper. I have been wanting to customize my control surface such that some of the buttons are mapped to my most commonly used commands. I believe I can do this using 'presets' on my BCF2000.

So far I have the default presets working fine but I want to change the 'channel solo' buttons to arming for recording and I want to change the transport bar to have stop, play, rewind and record on it. However I am not having much luck getting these buttons assigned.

When I try to use the 'Learn' function on the BCF2000 then these commands are not recognized and I get the word 'bad' flashing up. When I use the Actions list in Reaper and press the button I want to assign then it is not detected.

I downloaded the Behringer application which looks like it is for button assignment but I can't work out how to assign the arm track function in there.

I can use the emulation for the Mackie Control Universal which has arming but you need two hands to press Shift+Arm Track which causes my guitar to fall off my lap. I could use keyboard shortcuts but space is tight so using only the control surface would be my ideal way to interact.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Fiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
EpicSounds

I just put up a video on using the BCF2000 in mackie mode but I'm still learning the thing. Haven't tried learn mode yet and haven't tried making custom maps yet.

It's my understanding that in REAPER learn only works for MIDI devices, and not control surfaces.

You'd have to remove it as a control surface and add it as a control-only MIDI input.

Here's the video anyway
http://reaperblog.net/2015/04/behrin...tup-in-reaper/

If you figure it out please let me know
Old 04-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Fiasco

Thanks EpicSounds, I was actually wondering if adding it as a MIDI device might be the way to go. I'll play with that in bit but I presume there must be some drawback there or some other reason you add it as a control surface rather than a MIDI device.

Your video is very nice and high quality, I actually wish I had this when I was investigating last week
Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Use Klinke's .dll. You will be able to learn assign any of Reaper's actions to the V-pot presses and the V-pot rotaries.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
Thanks EpicSounds, I was actually wondering if adding it as a MIDI device might be the way to go. I'll play with that in bit but I presume there must be some drawback there or some other reason you add it as a control surface rather than a MIDI device.

Your video is very nice and high quality, I actually wish I had this when I was investigating last week
unfortunately we can't do both MIDI device and control surface in an emulated mode.

I think I saw someone doing control only as a MIDI input and output only as a control surface but with a custom map.

I'm reading through the BC Manager app now, If I can figure out I will do a tutorial. No video tutorials seem to exist.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Fiasco

I tried Klinke's .dll and ran the board in Mackie compatibility mode and Reaper will still not recognise me pressing the buttons I want to map.

This feels really frustrating and I'm pretty close to trying Ableton since a guy at work says it's really user friendly. I can't tell if this is just the old hardware of the BCF2000, Reaper's detection system/driver or a combination of the two.

It is particularly frustrating as the button I am trying to assign to 'Arm Channel 1' is simply triggering CC 66 on MIDI Channel 1. I feel like I should be able to type:

MIDI Chan 01 CC 66

Into Reaper the Actions assignment window and it should be able to 'hear' the button push. However, the only way to assign keybindings is to press the button. I've tried assigning different MIDI channels to that button to see if that can trigger it but nothing seems to work.

The fact that the BCF2000 option under the Control Surfaces option says '(using preset 1)' leads me to believe that Reaper is hard coded to only have compatibility with preset 1 of the BCF2000 and that all other data received is simply being ignored.

And I think the Mackie compatibility modes are not programmable.

This is such a massive headache to try to fix when all I want to do is have the ability to arm and disarm tracks for recording with one hand. The compatibility here for such a popular control surface is disappointing, I thought I was simply buying a programmable bank of buttons that would tie into this software as easily as key assignments but apparently not.