Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
bloodbubble
Human being with feelings

Default Digital desk or analog desk with convertor?

I have a Tascam audio interface unit with 8 preamps.. I'm doing some large group live recordings and I really want to increase my inputs.
Im also thinking of upgrading to a desk based system.. sooooo I need a little help deciding if I should go for an analog desk and a convertor of some sort or a digital desk.
I need 16-24 inputs... what are the benefits and downfalls of both systems.

Ps Ill be buying everything second hand as usual
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Panic

What model is the Tascam interface?
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
bloodbubble

US-1800 usb
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
bloodbubble

anyone have any opinions... specifically as to the merits of an analog mixing desk coupled with a stand alone convertor or a digital mixing desk with firewire and vice versa.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Panic

The Mackie Onyx mixers have a firewire interface option.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Schmidty

The upside to the digital board is that everything is in one unit, there are no batch chords to hook up, you set up like a live gig, then just plug in a computer. Also, if you get a decent one, you get motorized faders and built in FX with it, so you have more tools available for the live mix, as well as better repeatability in the mix from your DAW.

Downside is obviosly price. In order to add the cost of A/Ds and processing the price either has to go up, or the quality has to go down.
I would stay away from anything that says "Mackie" or "Behringer" anywhere on it. The The pre's are loud, and corners are often cut (for Behringer it is often a quality issue, for Macki it often consist of calling an 8 channel mixer with four stereo line level tracks "16 Channels")
The Yamaha MG Series boards with USB out are nice, but the USB is only the mixed LR out, so not ideal for recording a live gig to mix later.
That leaves the Presonus Studio Live, and the Allen and Heith Ze series. Both are good little boards that should do everything you need them to.

For the analog option, the upside is you already have half of the gear. Your Tascam 1800USB has 8 mic ins and 8 Line ins. Turn the mic pres all the way down and you have 16 line level inputs. Then you just find a board with direct outputs (Allen & Heith MixWizard 16, Soundcraft GB2R-16 as well a few from Yamaha) and your're in business.
Down side is you have to get a 16x16 patch snake to route everything, and you cannot recall your mix from Reaper.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
planetnine

Get a Yamaha CL-5 and some Dante stage boxes.

Dead easy...

>
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
bloodbubble

thanks folks.. I have finally got my desk

Ive finally picked up an Allen and Heath Saber Mk1, recapped, serviced and fitted with Burr Brown preamps. I have yet to set it up.. Thanks for info and advice
Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
danfuerth

Nice board looks very nice. Since you have it, does it have VCA groups?
Just asking, could be something to buy down the road.

If it does not have VCA groups, if Reaper gets VCA group Automation then you are in business ( maybe me too) as you can then group your tracks inside reaper and map the masters to that Allen and Heath via Midi.

Right now I am using a small 8 Fader interface and it works perfectly controlling a 20 track project live with using the OSC workaround for VCA Group Automation (having the automation on the masters and having the slaves follow the masters)

This is why I was begging Banned to look at my project so he could do a pure data patch to use with OSC with Reaper.
Still can not justify spending the money on Protools just to have VCA Group automation.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Nice board looks very nice. Since you have it, does it have VCA groups?

Mine Does...

Old 11-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
danfuerth

Hey quit showing that stuff man, quit teasing people )

Yes looks very nice. And love those 8 VCA faders shining there just waiting to control everything LOL.

See my point you have 8 VCA faders but if Reaper gets VCA group automation, then you map a Master group VCA from inside reaper and map it to another fader on that console. You would then have even more than 8.

I been trying to tell people that, it'shard to understand it unless you see it in action.

Example ( In theory)

A fader interface with 20 faders ( in theory)

100 tracks into 20 is 5 which means you can have 20 groups of 5 tracks inside each which is 4 tracks plus the Group master( VCA group Master) = 1 fader for every group master total 20 VCA masters

Then all you do is map the VCA masters to the external interface faders, and put the names ( with paper) near the faders.

This is my concept to why VCA groups inside the Daw itself allow us to get away with using smaller fader interfaces.

We still have a mouse hooked up the Daw, so in case we need to control one of the slave tracks we can still do that with the mouse

This is basically why I want VCA groups inside Reaper an slaves following the Masters .

I have 8 faders on my interface, if I have a 20 track project I have those 8 Faders acting as VCA masters ( using the OSC workaround)

I hope that Reaper eventually gets the slaves following the Masters as the current Group Matrix is fine as it is, I like it a lot, just the slaves will not follow the masters automation
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote