Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
shemp
Human being with feelings

Default Prog rock/metal - Polyphia

My son's band Polyphia just released a new 5 song EP. He did the recording and mix using 100% REAPER (although there is a guest solo on one of the songs an I don't know if that guy used REAPER, so maybe 99.9% )

http://polyphia.bandcamp.com/
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
JesseK

awesome EP jus listened to it def worth a purchase!
JesseK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Jorgen

Sounds great! Not too crazy about the drums, but that's it.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
shemp

thanks guys. Yes, they do need to replace the drum sounds. It's on their list.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Sambo Rouge

Scott,

Both a nice technical and artistic mix. Very cool fingerwork on the lead guitar.

Mastered nice and loud without sounding compressed.

Great stuff. Congrats to all involved.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
carbon

Excellent skills!

You must be very proud.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
ScottyD

After listening to that I am going to burn all my guitars, basses and my drum kit and switch to playing the jaw harp. I give up. Hahahah! Awesome work, I've said it before but your boy has NASTY guitar skills. Tone is unreal, and the technicality is off the charts. Where's my lighter fluid?

-ScottyD
Old 04-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Cosmic

Mind boggling guitar playing.

KUDOS.100%
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
shemp

thanks all!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
kindafishy

Awesome stuff, shemp. They've got more riffs in a single song than I've ever written in my life. They guys are so far ahead of where they 'should be' for their ages in terms of skills and maturity in their writing.

Hey, did you do your trip to Calgary yet?

Are these guys any closer to finding a vocalist?
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Awesome stuff, shemp. They've got more riffs in a single song than I've ever written in my life. They guys are so far ahead of where they 'should be' for their ages in terms of skills and maturity in their writing.

Hey, did you do your trip to Calgary yet?

Are these guys any closer to finding a vocalist?
thanks!!

Calgary on October.

They are still looking for a singer.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
fiddler1

Default Awsome, worship worthy, but...

Sounds to me like too much squeezed into the midrange. No real highs or lows.. That being said, I really love the music.. Just sounds too "canned".. But man!!! Holy shit.. What a great piece of beautiful music! I cant complement the content more.. It doesn't breathe right though IMHO..

Sorry to be the only detractor... Frowny curve on the EQ makes me crazy...

Bass drum doesnt thump.. No sizzle in the mix.. God I really hate to say anything negative about this cuz it kicks royal ass...

Peace..

John
fiddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
tspring

Your son has some serious skills. Incredible guitar playing and excellent recording working together. It will be interesting to see how he bends those skills around a singer's melody line (after the band finds a singer) and to watch him grow musically.

Shemp, you and I will probably have a lot in common. In particular, it appears that we both are pretty deeply involved in working on music with our sons. During my son's high school and college years we spent many happy hours working together on recordings (often made using Reaper), critiquing each others songs (we both write them), working on equipment together, and just talking about music, instruments, and recording. This sharing formed the core of our day-to-day relationship, and it has been a joy. Sounds as if you may have something of the same thing going on.

After getting a degree in industrial design and working in various design firms around the country, he decided to take a shot at making a business out of his first love (i.e. music and recording). He returned to our little town and opened a recording studio, and is in the process of building a business around it. He has made it through the first year successfully, and business is growing about as fast as he can handle it. So we are back to doing the things we love to do together, at least as his schedule and mine allow. And not only that, but there is a whole musical community building up around the studio, with new friends and new ideas flowing into our lives. Life is good. I hope that you will have the same luck that I have had.

It is almost unbelievable how much a few tools such as Reaper have influenced our lives. That is one reason I keep posting here.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler1 View Post
Bass drum doesnt thump.. No sizzle in the mix.. God I really hate to say anything negative about this cuz it kicks royal ass...
Could you supply an example of a reasonably fast metal record with thumpy bass drum? I can't imagine having arrangement with busy, bass heavy kick and heavy guitars/bass. Sounds like a recipe for a rumbly mess. Those clicky drums are used for a reason.

Top music and playing indeed - I remember seeing those guys on metalsucks.net. I think reception was warm, aside of local trolls having a field day with musicians' hairstyles. Well, that's metalsucks for ya.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler1 View Post
Sounds to me like too much squeezed into the midrange. No real highs or lows.. That being said, I really love the music.. Just sounds too "canned".. But man!!! Holy shit.. What a great piece of beautiful music! I cant complement the content more.. It doesn't breathe right though IMHO..

Sorry to be the only detractor... Frowny curve on the EQ makes me crazy...

Peace..

John
It's cool, all comments welcome. As zeekat, that's pretty much the mix of the genre. Lots o mids, clicky kick. Not my personal favorite type of sound being an older dude, but it is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
Your son has some serious skills. Incredible guitar playing and excellent recording working together. It will be interesting to see how he bends those skills around a singer's melody line (after the band finds a singer) and to watch him grow musically.

Shemp, you and I will probably have a lot in common. In particular, it appears that we both are pretty deeply involved in working on music with our sons. During my son's high school and college years we spent many happy hours working together on recordings (often made using Reaper), critiquing each others songs (we both write them), working on equipment together, and just talking about music, instruments, and recording. This sharing formed the core of our day-to-day relationship, and it has been a joy. Sounds as if you may have something of the same thing going on.

After getting a degree in industrial design and working in various design firms around the country, he decided to take a shot at making a business out of his first love (i.e. music and recording). He returned to our little town and opened a recording studio, and is in the process of building a business around it. He has made it through the first year successfully, and business is growing about as fast as he can handle it. So we are back to doing the things we love to do together, at least as his schedule and mine allow. And not only that, but there is a whole musical community building up around the studio, with new friends and new ideas flowing into our lives. Life is good. I hope that you will have the same luck that I have had.

It is almost unbelievable how much a few tools such as Reaper have influenced our lives. That is one reason I keep posting here.

T
excellent! thanks and good luck to your son! My son has a good ear and is interested in studio work (and is taking classes at the local college) but for now he is concentrating on the band and giving lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Could you supply an example of a reasonably fast metal record with thumpy bass drum? I can't imagine having arrangement with busy, bass heavy kick and heavy guitars/bass. Sounds like a recipe for a rumbly mess. Those clicky drums are used for a reason.

Top music and playing indeed - I remember seeing those guys on metalsucks.net. I think reception was warm, aside of local trolls having a field day with musicians' hairstyles. Well, that's metalsucks for ya.
yeah, not a fan of the hair myself Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
jinko17

Wow man! Your kid's no joke, and that mix is pretty badass!
jinko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
jalan

Absolutely killer, man! I agree with the other comments on the mid-heavy mix, but I know that's typical for the genre. The musicianship is incredible though. You've gotta be a proud papa
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
moio

Hey Scott, absolutely great guitar work! Can I take lessons? :-)
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
shemp

Whats up Jinks!

uhhh, yea Markus, you don't need lessons
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
thequietroom

Whoaa!

this is really really excellent. Im totally digging it. The guitar work is awesome. Really tasty playing and lead tones.. Awesome!! This is going in the playlist
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
thequietroom

Dam these guys look young in the picture.. they really have some serious stuff goin on.. especially for their youth .. impressive indeed
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
Dam these guys look young in the picture.. they really have some serious stuff goin on.. especially for their youth .. impressive indeed
18-20 yrs old
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
18-20 yrs old
Damn, man. When they are our age, they are going to look back and say lol@haircuts...
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #24
jax

I like 'Transcend' best!
jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
maddnotez

Wow, Thats your kid?

These guys are awesome, I was actually just looking to see if they picked a signer yet.

I do not like "djent" very much at all and I think these guys are amazing so that should say something?! ha

They had a couple of great vocalists audition, curious to see who they chose.
maddnotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
karbomusic

Killer as usual, I remember a video from a while back.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddnotez View Post
Wow, Thats your kid?

These guys are awesome, I was actually just looking to see if they picked a signer yet.

I do not like "djent" very much at all and I think these guys are amazing so that should say something?! ha

They had a couple of great vocalists audition, curious to see who they chose.
Thanks! Yes they picked a singer (not one from the videos though....) They are working on something to release in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Killer as usual, I remember a video from a while back.
Thank you fine sir.

They actually just won a contest for a Legator guitar endorsement so we'll see what that get them
Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #28
sammydix

for some reason, when i clicked the link, Impassion was the first song to play and scared the living daylights outta me! i was quite relieved when the real music followed. but yep, appropriately kickass.
i sorta agree with the kick drum statement, though. maybe it doesn't need to be more bassy but it was a bit 'snappy' for my personal taste.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote