Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default What do you think of these parts for new Comp?

Hi again my friends, I've been trying to go through a local supplyer to get my computer parts and put it all together for me.

Basically I've been talking to them on the phone and then they send me what they have to offer via email.

At any rate, this is what they've sent me so far and since I have no experience with this stuff and know nothing about it I thought some of you would know whether any of this is any good of not.

They've given me two choices for the Case:
> Corsair CC9011014WW Carbide ATX tower 300R
> Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case No PS
The mother board they propose:
> Gigabyte 1150 GA-Z97X-SLI
They've given me two choices for the PSU Power supply:
> Corsair CP9020D60NA 600W
> Coolermaster RS500PCARA3US 500W
They suggest a SSD Drv for OS:
> Crucial BX100 250 DB Internal SSD
Two choices for 32GB of Memory:
> Crucial CT102464BA160B 8GB DDR3 (4Pc)
> Crucial 16GB KIT (8GBX2), 240-Pin DIMM, DDR3 (2Pc)
There are other things like the CPU which is going to be the "Intel 1150 i7-479K 4.0/4.4 4/8 HD4600".

I'm a little discouraged with them since I've made it very clear that the computer has to end up being very quiet, but they haven't even mentioned the cooler for the CPU, even though I included that in my original spec that I gave them.

So I'm starting to wonder about these other parts and I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out here, as far as whether they're any good or not.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
JHughes
Banned

Well, those are both tower cases, and my next build there's no way I'm having a tower, in fact I'm looking at a MicroATX build.

Here's an ubelieveable site: http://pcpartpicker.com/
Make an account, put in the parts in your current build, and start looking at the options. You will quickly come to grips with the current landscape.

Also see:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems...oATX-Gaming-PC

https://flipboard.com/@jevangelho/the-diy-pc-07477d7hz

Don't rush into this, you're going to be spending some serious moolah.

<edit> You also don't need to shell out for an SLI capable mobo. There's no video card on your list and you don't need one of those either. It looks like a very capable overclockable build. Look into getting a water cooler.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Well, those are both tower cases, and my next build there's no way I'm having a tower, in fact I'm looking at a MicroATX build.

Here's an ubelieveable site: http://pcpartpicker.com/
Make an account, put in the parts in your current build, and start looking at the options. You will quickly come to grips with the current landscape.

Also see:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems...oATX-Gaming-PC

https://flipboard.com/@jevangelho/the-diy-pc-07477d7hz

Don't rush into this, you're going to be spending some serious moolah.
Aah JHughes, some good links here, something to give me a better perspective and better understanding.

Quote:
<edit> You also don't need to shell out for an SLI capable mobo. There's no video card on your list and you don't need one of those either. It looks like a very capable overclockable build. Look into getting a water cooler.
Yes, I know, I'm not a gamer so I think the built in video will probably be okay.

Thank you very much, that was very informative.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
spikemullings

I am also thinking about doing an audio PC build (mainly to save money but also as a make-and-do bonding activity with my 13 year old son).

No knowledge of PC building and even less experience

What I have done so far is look up the specs of budget to midrange PCs from audio PC builders like Scan and Inta Audio etc. and then match the parts on the UK version of the site that JHughes linked to.

I can save about £200 on the price on, say, an i5 system.

Am I naïve to think that this method will guarantee good specs (within price constraints) for music making and compatibility?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
JHughes
Banned

You are not being naive.

TBH, I never end up saving much money, but I always have top shelf components.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
spikemullings

Thank you J. That is good to know.

I suppose the more you spend on parts, the less significant overall become the time/labour costs of assembly so you can save more proportionately at the budget end.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Muontau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi again my friends, I've been trying to go through a local supplyer to get my computer parts and put it all together for me.

Basically I've been talking to them on the phone and then they send me what they have to offer via email.

At any rate, this is what they've sent me so far and since I have no experience with this stuff and know nothing about it I thought some of you would know whether any of this is any good of not.

They've given me two choices for the Case:
> Corsair CC9011014WW Carbide ATX tower 300R
> Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case No PS
The mother board they propose:
> Gigabyte 1150 GA-Z97X-SLI
They've given me two choices for the PSU Power supply:
> Corsair CP9020D60NA 600W
> Coolermaster RS500PCARA3US 500W
They suggest a SSD Drv for OS:
> Crucial BX100 250 DB Internal SSD
Two choices for 32GB of Memory:
> Crucial CT102464BA160B 8GB DDR3 (4Pc)
> Crucial 16GB KIT (8GBX2), 240-Pin DIMM, DDR3 (2Pc)
There are other things like the CPU which is going to be the "Intel 1150 i7-479K 4.0/4.4 4/8 HD4600".

I'm a little discouraged with them since I've made it very clear that the computer has to end up being very quiet, but they haven't even mentioned the cooler for the CPU, even though I included that in my original spec that I gave them.

So I'm starting to wonder about these other parts and I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out here, as far as whether they're any good or not.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
I have just built a new audio PC from scratch and I am very pleased with it.

A few things of note to say about your list;

I very nearly went with the Carbide case but changed at the last minute to the Fractal-design Define R4, It has sound proofed panels and is as quiet as can be. I also went with a corsair AIO water cooler with Noctua fans. I have yet to see the cpu temp go above 30 degrees C and it is VERY quiet. Well worth the extra few £ for the case and fans.

Can't really get a better CPU than you mention unless you pay enthusiast(silly) prices. The 4790K is over-clockable. If you have no intention of over-clocking the CPU get the 4790 it should be about £30-40 cheaper.

Without pawing over the gigabyte specs pages I can't say for sure, but I went with a lesser motherboard than I would have chosen without thinking. Some specs like SLI are simply not needed as you will be using on-board graphics. All Asus boards have graphics built in now(supports 3 screens) and the BIOS is the industry leader IMO. Don't choose MB specs based on the 'upgrade in the future' thinking.

I have a Plextor-M.2e system disk which is silly fast, I can start spotify about 8 seconds after turning my PC on !

You only need a 500Watt PSU, no graphics card, Haswell CPU and SSD storage all add up to be nice power savers. Talking of which, I went with a slightly more expensive PSU from Corsair. Gold rating means in the long run you will save lots of money in electricity. I know my PC can be on for 16 hours a day sometimes. Plus less heat means longer lasting parts.

You don't need 32GB of Ram ! Unless you plan to have about 30 programs open at the same time. I have 8GB in this new machine and it is plenty. Just make sure to keep background bloatware programs to a stark minimum. Like none!

All my parts came to £830. I reused SSD's and HHD's from my previous machine so I will be spending a few hundred more on some Samsung Pro850's. I spent the best part of a saturday building it, probably 10 hours from opening the boxes to a fully updated REAPER beast. Thumbs up for the easy config file transfer system in REAPER !

If you need my shopping list in full or any advice in general on building a machine, give me a shout.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Serenitynow

Some people mention you don't need a graphics card but I use one to give me the ability to have two monitors going at the same time. Even if I didn't do that it seems like about any graphics card would be better than using the onboard graphics of most MBs (even though most DAW use is usually not graphics intensive). I also use my computer for other things besides just a DAW. I mean I'm talking about some Mega graphics card with 2 big fans etc.YMMV?