Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
mykjamz
Human being with feelings

Default How to Email reaper songs to someone else to work with

Hi, I am having trouble emailing songs to another member of our band. We would like to be able to send a song to one another and be able to open it, work with it, add tracks etc, and then sed it back.

Is this possible? Can anyone point me in the right direction to whatever info I'd need to do this?

We have tried to send them as the .RPP files but it doesnt work and gives us an error message that has a small popup windo that says something like "replace missing file" then lower down "the file 01-110813_0938.wav could not be found"

Any help is much appreciated...Thanks
mykjamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
blmjr

One way to do it would be to set up a shared folder in Dropbox.

http://www.dropbox.com/

As you work the files are updated to the cloud then when you band mate opens his dropbox folder he will see your work, make changes, the changes will show up in your folder, etc.

You have to watch you don't work on the files at the same time as this will create multiple versions of the working files, but even you can sort that out.
blmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
bluzkat

You're missing one of the 'audio' (.wav) files. Are you just sending the .RPP file? It's probably still in your project folder.

Anything you record (or any loops, whatever) you use will have to be sent along with the .RPP.

Be sure to use the same VSTs on both ends of the project.

The project will 'grow' in size rather quickly as you add new parts. Might be easier to use one of the 'free' upload sites (DropBox comes to mind).

You can 'zip' the files to reduce the size. Have fun!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
DVDdoug

Most e-mail systems limit the file size. It think AT&T limits me to 20MB, which isn't enough for an uncompressed WAV of a song ripped from a CD. I think I've had MP3s that were rejected! ...Maybe the limit is 2MB???
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Most e-mail systems limit the file size. It think AT&T limits me to 20MB, which isn't enough for an uncompressed WAV of a song ripped from a CD. I think I've had MP3s that were rejected! ...Maybe the limit is 2MB???
Yeah, I think all ISPs have some kind of restriction on email size. Not to mention it's really slow!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykjamz View Post
The Windows release of Gobbler is on the way if you're not on OSX. It's a great solution for project back-up as well as transfers.

If anyone wants an invite, just drop me a PM and I'll invite you (I get 10GB free for every 5 people I invite who install ... )
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
bogo

I just use gmail and google docs. You can upload 1 gig and share to the band members or open an account for the band so all the members could go pick up the files.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
mykjamz

Default Thanks !!

Thanks so much for the info!!!

I'll try out the suggestions and hopefully I'll be able to get it to work.

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks again
mykjamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
dasreinfeld

Hey Reaper Peeps,

I'm Andrew, the community manager at Gobbler. I like the convo that's going on in here & I just wanted to shoot you a quick intro! Reaper is the first DAW that we decided to support (all the way back in our alpha stage). We're still giving away FREE 25GB accounts in hopes that you guys will test out the product & give us your pro feedback. If you guys have questions or comments (good, bad or ugly) feel free to hit me up here on the forum, in our community or at my email!

Once again, glad to see that people are REALLY starting to talk about backup & collaboration!!!!

Andrew

Andrew@gobbler.com
Gobbler.com
Community.gobbler.com
dasreinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
gxulien

Default emailing reaper files

The quick and easy dummy way to do it is look in your reaper media file for all the files that have your project name - i only had three. I just sent them, and if they automatically go to your download (my documents) file as a compressed file, just right click and open to expand them (assuming you don't need to download winzip or something). Copy them into your reaper media files folder (under documents) and the project should show up when you click "open project". I'd go with picking the latest version of the file if you get a pop-up box and browse to my documents and it should be able to find it pretty quick. I just did this. I work out of town on another computer, so I need to send things home to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykjamz View Post
Hi, I am having trouble emailing songs to another member of our band. We would like to be able to send a song to one another and be able to open it, work with it, add tracks etc, and then sed it back.

Is this possible? Can anyone point me in the right direction to whatever info I'd need to do this?

We have tried to send them as the .RPP files but it doesnt work and gives us an error message that has a small popup windo that says something like "replace missing file" then lower down "the file 01-110813_0938.wav could not be found"

gxulien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
dasreinfeld

Just wanted to shoot my reaper peeps a fresh update hot off the Gobbler presses.

We're still in beta and looking for feedback (good, bad or otherwise) that will drive the product forward! We're also giving away free accounts for 1-year past our beta for all users signing up before December 7th....Crazy I know!

Andrew

Check out the following communities

http://blog.gobbler.com
http://community.gobbler.com
http://gobbler.com
dasreinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote