Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Zeeban
Human being with feelings

Default Guitar Rig Routing

Hi all,

I've been a Pro Tools user for eight years and I've just made the switch to Reaper after using the evaluation. I really like how the program operates, but more importantly how stable it is. I have a problem with routing when using Guitar Rig. I've been talking to a fellow recording enthusiast who has been using Reaper and he doesn't think there is a way to accomplish my task, but I figured I'd ask in the forums first.

I'm trying to have GR on one track with a guitar as the input, and then send the output of that track (the guitar signal modified by GR) to other tracks. In PT I would accomplish this by having GR on an Aux track with an output of a bus, and have my guitar tracks set up with an input of that same bus. It would look like this:

Guitar -> Aux with GR insert -> Bus 1 output

Guitar track 1, 2, 3, 4 -> Input Bus 1

At this point I could just arm each guitar track and have the GR signal recorded as if I had mic'd an amp. This saves system resources (only one instance of GR) and generally makes my life easier for multitracking guitars. When I tried to do the same thing in Reaper I ran into a wall.

I've tried it several ways but failed to achieve the desired result so far.

So first: is there a way to hear the input of a track and have it send to another track without recording on the original track? (The way an Aux track works in PT)

If so, how would I get the output of track 1 (with GR) to output to other tracks? I have the sends set up, and I've even set the receiving tracks to record output (which is still a strange concept coming from PT) but either way it doesn't work. What I have so far is the tracks which are supposedly receiving from the GR track only recording the raw input of my guitar instead of the GR signal.

I'd really like to get this recording method working because it suits my workflow very well, and I'd like to know if there is a way to get this working properly. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks in advance.

Z
Zeeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
technogremlin

It seems to me you are trying to do this purely to save resources. In that case I would simply record the guitar on it's own track with GR on it, then freeze it. This will actually replace your original clean recording with the GR-effected one and unload GR from the track. You can then handle the track as a 'normal' recorded track and add new fx and sends to it for mixing.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeban View Post
So first: is there a way to hear the input of a track and have it send to another track without recording on the original track?
It sounds totally odd, but to do that you record arm your track in "Record: disable (input monitoring only)" mode. Track monitoring has to be enabled, too. Here's a pic of the context menu of the record arm button with the appropriate setup:

Yes, I know, you basically enable record to not record...
You'll get used to it once you stop thinking about it That's Reaper for you. I've got a button (and a key command) which cycles selected tracks between "Record and monitor off", "Record disabled" and "Record (input)", that helps me a lot

Quote:
If so, how would I get the output of track 1 (with GR) to output to other tracks? I have the sends set up, and I've even set the receiving tracks to record output (which is still a strange concept coming from PT) but either way it doesn't work. What I have so far is the tracks which are supposedly receiving from the GR track only recording the raw input of my guitar instead of the GR signal.
It sounds as if your send is Pre-FX. It needs to be post FX, obviously. In your case the best setting will probably be "Pre Fader (Post FX)", so that you can pull down the fader of the input (GuitarRig) track to silence the dry signal (alternatively you can disable "Master/parent send" on this track).

Btw - although not quite appropriate to what you are up to - if you insert GR in a track's Input FX chain, Reaper will record the processed signal directly without the need to "Record: output".
Attached Images
File Type: png Rec-arm-Monitoring-not-recording.png (31.2 KB, 739 views)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Why are you not recording the dry signal? Even if you're just going to mute and hide it right away, I can't imagine a good reason not to grab it. I mean, it's no big deal to me, but it seems strange, especially to be going out of your way to find a "solution" to a problem that I don't think exists to begin with.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Zeeban

Thanks for the replies. I actually stumbled upon the record disable last night, so for the most part I was able to figure this out. Still a couple little things that aren't working right, but I think I'll have it squared away. As far as it not being a problem, it's not the way I typically record. I just like to set it up this way when I'm recording my own stuff and fooling around. I don't need the original signal since I already have my tone set how it needs to be for the mix. It just simplifies the process slightly. In the end it's a very small issue in general, and I wouldn't be too worried if I couldn't get it working the same way. I figured I'd try though. Thanks again for the replies.
Zeeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
It just simplifies the process slightly.
But in this case, it really just complicated things, no? I mean, you needed to find the PostFX send, but at that point hunting around for Record Disable was just wasting time when you could just record the dry thing (along with all the other tracks) and just mute it. Yeah, not a big deal really, but it's kinda freaking me out. I'm glad you got it worked out, though. If you have other issues, definitely post. People around here can and will help.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

No time wasted. Necessary stuff was learned.
Knowing about "Record: Disable, monitoring only" is crucial for everyone who uses amp sims or VSTi or wants to monitor through any plugin in Reaper. Without it you can't rehearse with playback before recording. It has nothing to do with whether you decide to record wet or dry.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

I use amp sims and VSTis all the time and can't imagine a reason I would need Record Disable. I'm wracking my brain, and just don't see it. Input monitoring works fine in both playback, record and stop. I suppose somebody somewhere might have a decent reason for monitoring a signal without actually recording it while recording other things, but I sure can't think of one. Maybe if you were way short on storage and new for absolutely sure that you would never need the original dry track...and didn't feel like hitting delete...
Old 10-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Ooops, right, I forgot that it of course won't record as long as you don't actually engage transport record. In typical in the box situations you can rehearse a fully record armed track.

I just never do it myself as I use (an earlier version of) my cycle action since I use Reaper.
Back then I had outboard synths and some bits of other gear routed into Reaper, which I did not want to record each time I recorded anything else. So yeah, I am one of those somebodies somewhere for whom record disable was the way to go . FWIW, I'll keep that habbit, even if I am now completely inside the box.

Last edited by gofer; 10-17-2014 at 03:45 PM.