Old 03-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
FenixDowner
Human being with feelings

Default Complete computer freeze

Hey guys,

I have been having an array of issues and I would like to determine the cause without having to spend money (if I can)

Here is what is happening...

In any project of reaper, after an extended period of time (roughly 1-2 hours) my entire computer will freeze. I have found no specific plug-in that causes this, I have removed all plug-ins and still the error persists. The mouse won't move, the screen locks up and nothing happens. I have to reboot my computer to be able to do anything.

I recently upgraded my RAM, Mobo, and Processor.

SPECS:
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
256 GB SSD
AMD 9590 4.7 GHz Processor
16 GB 1866 MHz RAM
Focusrite Saffire 18i20 Audio Interface

Before the upgrade, my computer had a huge delay in response. I would press play/stop and it wouldn't respond for a good 13 seconds. Assuming this was a capacity error, I upgraded. Ever since the upgrade (6 months ago) it freezes instead.

I have heard several possible fixes. Overheating (so I bought better fans/cooling units), bad sector of RAM (so I upgraded RAM), bad motherboard (so I exchanged the motherboard).

Please, assist. I do not have a Error Log to post right now, but the issue doesn't single out Reaper as the culprit or my OS. The whole computer locks up, however, it only happens in reaper. I am tempted to make the switch back to Intel, but I am begging the help of the internet before I spend over $1,000 in new parts to fix the issue.

Thank you!
Justin
FenixDowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
FenixDowner

Also, I have shutdown my NIC and Anti-virus while working in Reaper and this doesn't appear to have any affect.

I used a hardware monitor to check the temperatures and the freeze appeared to happen at random times (i.e. 47ºC, 42ºC, 50ºC)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
cyrano

Just to clear up the fog in my mind: You did start from a clean installed Windows and didn't copy over any config from the old system?

My first guess would be a hardware problem too, but since you completely exchanged all hardware (except GPU, PSU...?), we can rule that out, it seems.

A 13 second delay isn't normal, even on a very low end system.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Just to clear up the fog in my mind: You did start from a clean installed Windows and didn't copy over any config from the old system?

My first guess would be a hardware problem too, but since you completely exchanged all hardware (except GPU, PSU...?), we can rule that out, it seems.

A 13 second delay isn't normal, even on a very low end system.
Hey Cyrano,

Yes when I migrated to a new Mobo and all, I installed Win 7 Ultimate in fresh. I did not swap out my PSU or GPU either. If at all possible, I'd like to resort to those last if I can avoid spending any more money on this.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
Dstruct

Latest motherboard bios and device drivers?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
ivansc

Back to basics: What does resplendence`s latency monitor say about your computer`s ability to do real time multitrack audio?

And of course you have checked that you are running the latest drivers for your interface from Focusrite.

I had a quick look round the various music forums and it does seem that historically there have been issues with the USB drivers, acknowledged by focusrite themselves.
Might be worth shooting their support folks an email or opening a ticket on the support site to see what they say.
FWIW I also had issues with several of the smaller ff USB interfaces a while back but thought they had sorted out their driver issues since then.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Latest motherboard bios and device drivers?
I just double checked and even re-downloaded them all. Some are still installing. I will post back if it was a success.

NOTE: My computer froze while doing multiple updates at once.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Back to basics: What does resplendence`s latency monitor say about your computer`s ability to do real time multitrack audio?

And of course you have checked that you are running the latest drivers for your interface from Focusrite.

I had a quick look round the various music forums and it does seem that historically there have been issues with the USB drivers, acknowledged by focusrite themselves.
Might be worth shooting their support folks an email or opening a ticket on the support site to see what they say.
FWIW I also had issues with several of the smaller ff USB interfaces a while back but thought they had sorted out their driver issues since then.
I just emailed their support line, but yes, I was using the most recent version.

What is resplendence and where can I download it to test?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
cyrano

Latency Monitor:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Their other tools are very useful too.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Latency Monitor:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Their other tools are very useful too.
I tested the latency and attached is my result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Latency_Test.jpg (38.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
FenixDowner

I updated all of my drivers, made sure the motherboard and BIOS drivers were up-to-date and even went through steps found on Focusrite's help center to optimize my computer.

I opened a 48 track file and it froze my computer within 15 minutes.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #12
Mike Raine

Sometime ago,I had a similar problem. SLow response, random freezes. I thought a virus or similar. I could find nothing.

I went over to a spare machine and used that.

The problem machine I left for a while. I then took stuff out of it that I thought I would salvage: graphics card, firewire card, and maybe something else. I can't remember.

Later I discovered I wanted to get a file of it, so I plugged a monitor into its on-board VGA slot and started it up, hoping it would go long enough for me to get some stuff off it.

It ran just fine. I put all the stuff I had taken out and put it back in, except for the graphics card. And it still worked fine.

Long story short . . . it was the graphics card causing the freezes and other problems. When I got a new one, it ran smooth as silk. That may be worth a try.
Mike Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:04 AM   #13
ivansc

...especially if it happens to be an Nvidia card. I have been back and forth with them. My current Geforce passive 610 is great, but previously I had almost given up on Nvidia, in spite of their fanless cards offering excellent bang for the buck.
Worth trying it on the mobo gfx chips....
Old 03-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #14
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Raine View Post
Sometime ago,I had a similar problem. SLow response, random freezes. I thought a virus or similar. I could find nothing.

I went over to a spare machine and used that.

The problem machine I left for a while. I then took stuff out of it that I thought I would salvage: graphics card, firewire card, and maybe something else. I can't remember.

Later I discovered I wanted to get a file of it, so I plugged a monitor into its on-board VGA slot and started it up, hoping it would go long enough for me to get some stuff off it.

It ran just fine. I put all the stuff I had taken out and put it back in, except for the graphics card. And it still worked fine.

Long story short . . . it was the graphics card causing the freezes and other problems. When I got a new one, it ran smooth as silk. That may be worth a try.
I have had some suspicions about it being my video card and it is one of the only things I have left to swap out. Since I can get one for a decent price, I may have to try that.

Quote:
...especially if it happens to be an Nvidia card. I have been back and forth with them. My current Geforce passive 610 is great, but previously I had almost given up on Nvidia, in spite of their fanless cards offering excellent bang for the buck.
Worth trying it on the mobo gfx chips....
Yes I currently have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or something along those lines. Since I am using an AMD board now, maybe I need to switch to an ATI Radeon graphics card.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
ivansc

Is there no AMD gfx on the MOBO you could try just to see if it IS a factor, rather than spending money right away?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #16
FenixDowner

Quote:
Is there no AMD gfx on the MOBO you could try just to see if it IS a factor, rather than spending money right away?
Unfortunately not. The ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo I have, doesn't have an onboard video output.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
FenixDowner

Default SOLVED - Possibly

So, I replaced my NVIDIA GTX 670 video card with a MSI Radeon R9 380 and so far have not had any problems.

My internal set up is as follows right now:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
AMD 9590 FX Black 4.7 GHZ 8-core Processor
1TB 7200 RPM hard drive
1TB 7200 RPM hard drive
256GB Solid State Drive
16GB 1866MHz RAM
MSI Radeon R9 380 video card
750 Watt Power supply

I don't want to jinx it, but so far it is running like a champ. I will do a more detailed and painful test this weekend during vocal recording.

I will post the result after this weekend's test.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #18
FenixDowner

Default Problems Ongoing

Ok, so I did further testing and still ran into the issue with the computer crashing. I am a little lost now as to what could be causing the issue.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #19
VinodXAgent

Hi Fenix,
Did you install Win7 with the option for UEFI-Bios.
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #20
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodXAgent View Post
Hi Fenix,
Did you install Win7 with the option for UEFI-Bios.
Vinod
Hey Vinod - I can't remember if I selected that option when I installed windows. What will that option accomplish?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #21
VinodXAgent

Quote:
What will that option accomplish?
That a lot of features of your hardware will run properly.
Vinod
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #22
FenixDowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodXAgent View Post
That a lot of features of your hardware will run properly.
Vinod
Is there a way to change that after Windows is installed? Or without having to completely reinstall windows, just out of curiosity?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
FenixDowner

Alright, so in talking with the Focusrite Support team, I discovered that when playing audio back through reaper, this is what my LatencyMon image looks like (see attached)

It appears that NDIS is the biggest hog as well as having issues in these fields (according to LatencyMon).

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LatencyMon_Drivers.jpg (61.9 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg LatencyMon_Processes.jpg (50.1 KB, 240 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt LatencyMon_Test1.txt (11.4 KB, 143 views)