Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
space_echo201
Human being with feelings

Default Tonelux inspired idea

Here's a quick little idea i threw together today.

I love the look of the Tonelux outboard gear and wanted to see how it'd translate into a theme. This is far from finished or anything more than what you see. Very basic.

All of this is OBVIOUSLY very heavily inspired and borrowed from White Ties epic and beautiful Imperial theme. The Transport is pretty much a direct trace of his and not anywhere near as elegantly done. He's seriously inspiring and for all the credit he gets he deserves much more for what he's done for showing how deep and beautiful this program can be.

Anyway, just thought i'd throw up a quick screen shot for the lovers of analog gear and vintage feel.

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-16-2012 at 12:04 PM.
space_echo201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
albertxxxx

love ...the track panel is simple and beautiful
albertxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
WynD

That is a really sweet looking beginning to a theme.
Very nice and I love the small lighted push buttons for the solo/mute etc...
I can't wait to see what you do with the mixer and the master.

Just looked at your number of posts....
Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by WynD; 06-04-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: just to add a last comment
WynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynD View Post
That is a really sweet looking beginning to a theme.
Very nice and I love the small lighted push buttons for the solo/mute etc...
I can't wait to see what you do with the mixer and the master.

Just looked at your number of posts....
Welcome to the forum.
I've lurked here forever. Thanks for the kind words fellas! Much appreciated.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
space_echo201

mixer, obviously also VERY HEAVILY inspired by White Tie and Imperial (I cant say enough about that guys work).

I'll start plugging in original buttons, faders and meters soon.

This is just a glimpse.

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-06-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
martinmadero

clap! clap! clap!
bravo!!!
amazing!!!
simple, fast, and great!!
congratulations!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
WynD

WOW!!
Let me say again...
Very nice work. Very cool theme.
Everything is so clear and easy to read. The transport is really nice looking.
Being inspired by White Tie is always a good thing. He really has some talent.
This could end up being a very nice go to theme for anyone without a big enough monitor to run Imperial when that finally does get released.
Can't wait to check this one out when you have it finished.

One quick question. Is the mixer going to be a fixed size? I love being able to stretch and shrink the mixer. But that's no deal breaker for me if it isn't. I'll use it either way.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
space_echo201

Quote:
WOW!!
One quick question. Is the mixer going to be a fixed size? I love being able to stretch and shrink the mixer. But that's no deal breaker for me if it isn't. I'll use it either way.
I would love to say it will be. At this point I'm just trying to wrap my head around WALTER and all the nuances within it. This is my maiden voyage.

I basically designed it around my workflow, which is an arrangement window and a mixer window (coming form the Pro Tools world it's just what I'm used to). When i get it a little closer to complete (not just using screen caps of White Tie's buttons and stuff) I'll stick it in the stash and let people way more savvy than myself go to town on it.

Quote:
This could end up being a very nice go to theme for anyone without a big enough monitor to run Imperial when that finally does get released.
This is precisely one of the reasons I started doing this theme. I don't have a huge monitor and was afraid I would miss the boat on how amazing Imperial is. So I started messing with some console inspired looks and loved the Tonelux gear so I went with that. At some point I'll make a version within the same framework without the Tonelux logo and colors. Little more generic but more appealing to more people I'd imagine.

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
valgaer

Looks amazing man! congrats!!! plz do a "narrow" layout with exactly the same stuff so we can see more tracks on our mixer ...really looking forward to this!
valgaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
sightlessness

Uff, when is this gonna be finished? Lol.
Love it so far.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by valgaer View Post
Looks amazing man! congrats!!! plz do a "narrow" layout with exactly the same stuff so we can see more tracks on our mixer ...really looking forward to this!

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
vStyler

Your glow on the buttons is glowing past the image edges and getting squared off... perhaps a bit tooo much glow as well.

also, the perspective of the same buttons, seems, a little off to me, as if they are pointing downwards.

I would probably lose the Tonelux text also, looks very repetitive across several tracks and busies up the channel IMO.

Rest looks great, altho, i might try taking the stuff you took from Imperial and 'making it yours'.. modifying, altering etc...

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
vStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
Teddy

This looks great! Really like the overall feel of this theme.

Thought of a few things that might be improved. I would reduce the size of the glow around the small round buttons in the mixer. I would also like to have an option to remove the tonelux logo from the bottom of each channel; it might look better if it's a bit bigger and only on the master.

Anyhow, I'd definetely use this theme. Great job!

Edit: Woops, looks like vStyler beat me to it.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
albertxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vStyler View Post
Your glow on the buttons is glowing past the image edges and getting squared off... perhaps a bit tooo much glow as well.

also, the perspective of the same buttons, seems, a little off to me, as if they are pointing downwards.

I would probably lose the Tonelux text also, looks very repetitive across several tracks and busies up the channel IMO.

Rest looks great, altho, i might try taking the stuff you took from Imperial and 'making it yours'.. modifying, altering etc...

+1... I agree
albertxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
Milt

Good work, Space Echo!!
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
Sibben

Looks sweet! Also really nice to see a theme that's a bit more than a good looking MCP with the TCP as an afterthought.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #17
pyerbass

Hi, space echo, it looks great!
maybe a tip for your buttons, maybe you should mhave the shadow in the same direction of the perspective, it looks a bit strange, just try to flip the shadow.
I love the cute tcp
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
groovemaster

Quote:
To me it's just right, very good under ergonomic aspects...everyone can see this lights...even from a distance!
groovemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_echo201 View Post
All of this is OBVIOUSLY very heavily inspired and borrowed from White Ties epic and beautiful Imperial theme.
I'm relatively sure that White Tie asked that his images not be used. To rip them and release something before White Tie's Imperial is released shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion. It might even guarantee that Imperial will never be released. I suggest you take down your images until you've received permission from WT to use his work.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

Can I get an early build so I can start doing my own mod / do my own thing with it / use it to sell stuff?
No! Damn, man...

Last edited by Teksonik; 06-05-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Cosmic

Looks absolutely fantastic so far!
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
vStyler

Teksonic, the thankyou, moral, respect police...always in someone else's business.

I'm sure WT can offer up his own objections, if he has some.

Stop causing trouble.

Besides, I thought the whole 'thing' around here was that everyone, uses everyone else's work? Quite contrary to most artistic communities in my experience, but.. it's 'just how it is'

I know mine have been used a few times, no one asked me

Last edited by vStyler; 06-05-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: nunyer
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
maybe a tip for your buttons, maybe you should mhave the shadow in the same direction of the perspective, it looks a bit strange, just try to flip the shadow.
I love the cute tcp
I agree with this. I think I'm going to flip the entire button on the mixer so the perspective is going to the outside edge of the fader panel. I've kind of painted myself in a corner with the "3D" looking buttons because they look weird from every angle... I took the lazy way and just used the same button for everything but I feel like the only solution is to go through and sure up the perspective on each individual button.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksonik View Post
I'm relatively sure that White Tie asked that his images not be used. To rip them and release something before White Tie's Imperial is released shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion. It might even guarantee that Imperial will never be released. I suggest you take down your images until you've received permission from WT to use his work.......
A. I havent "released" anything. Imperial is obviously MILES down the road form where this fledgling little idea is.

B. No where did i try to pull the wool over anyones eyes and pretend I didn't borrow aspects of Imperial and multiple times I've credited and raved about how great both Imperial and White Tie are.

C. The buttons, Fader knobs, Transport BG and other aspects will change. I snagged screenshots from Imperial to create the initial idea for use on my own. This kind of took off. I would never in a million years think of "releasing" something with another designers work in it.

D. This is all done for free, for the Reaper community... It's not like anybodies asking to get paid for this. I didn't sit at my computer tweaking graphics, knee deep in Walter code because of the fat paycheck I knew I'd get at the end of it. I did it because I wanted it to look awesome and thought other people would probably enjoy the same thing.

Quote:
Your UI work on your site is excellent. I'm envious.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
valgaer

you rock man, just made my day , thanks for taking my suggestion into account!
valgaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
rhythmtech

impressive tcp. mcp will look lovely with the right fader/button choices. keeping an eye on this.
rhythmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
Teksonik

Quote:
Stop causing trouble.
I'm trying to stop trouble. Think about it...did you not read the whole Imperial thread? Did you not read the part I quoted? If you want to make sure Imperial is never released this is the way to go about it....

I'm sure you want Imperial to be released so you can do a little Mod and then take credit for it....like Rado Vox.

Quote:
I know mine have been used a few times, no one asked me
It's irrelevant whether you care or not....some people don't mind some do...again read the Imperial thread.......no I mean really read it......
Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_echo201 View Post

A. I havent "released" anything. Imperial is obviously MILES down the road form where this fledgling little idea is.

B. No where did i try to pull the wool over anyones eyes and pretend I didn't borrow aspects of Imperial and multiple times I've credited and raved about how great both Imperial and White Tie are.

C. The buttons, Fader knobs, Transport BG and other aspects will change. I snagged screenshots from Imperial to create the initial idea for use on my own. This kind of took off. I would never in a million years think of "releasing" something with another designers work in it.

D. This is all done for free, for the Reaper community... It's not like anybodies asking to get paid for this. I didn't sit at my computer tweaking graphics, knee deep in Walter code because of the fat paycheck I knew I'd get at the end of it. I did it because I wanted it to look awesome and thought other people would probably enjoy the same thing.
All irrelevant points. You've taken artwork from someone who has asked that it not be done and posted a screenshot. I will ask you the same thing. Did you read the Imperial thread? I know your intentions are honorable but the results could be that the theme you liked so much to "borrow" elements from may never be released and that will get you beaten to a pulp by all of us who eagerly await the the release of Imperial.....certainly that's not too hard to understand?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Teksonik

Again.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

Can I get an early build so I can start doing my own mod / do my own thing with it
No! Damn, man...
Now do you get it?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
I love the cute tcp

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
space_echo201

New (all original) Solo and Mute buttons, new fader, button perspective changed. Also added a generic channel strip without the Tonelux logo or color scheme.

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
timlloyd

^ Do you have a pre-release of Imperial, or did you make all that from the existing screenshots?
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksonik View Post
Again.........

Now do you get it?
Please clam down. Did you not read THIS THREAD? I said I was changing the buttons, the faders, the transport and the meter bridge. It'll be ok man. I'm changing those elements as we speak. Just take a deep breath and settle down a little bit.

Also... NOTHING HAS BEEN RELEASED AT ALL. This is my second day futzing with this. It's light years from being releasable.

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-05-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
space_echo201

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
^ Do you have a pre-release of Imperial, or did you make all that from the existing screenshots?
just pulled screenshots and made overlays.

which begs the question: There was a pre-release of Imperial?!?

The Waltering was all done by manipulating the default theme.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
timlloyd

^ There were/are a few people testing it. Was really hoping that one of them/you hadn't leaked it as that would be in poor taste - but that's not the case which is good

I do realise that you're changing things, but it would be good to keep in mind that WT has requested a few times that people not release derivative themes until Imperial is finished and out there. Of course, it's up to you but do keep it in mind, as it was a friendly request from a long-time prolific contributor to the "open-source" theme concept that we all enjoy.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
vStyler

Just ignore Teksonic, he just loves to run around spouting false accusations at members, and sticking his nose in 1. Other people's business. 2 Up other people's *****'*

Like i said, It's up to the original author to voice any complaints as far as I can see it.

Also, Nick was given plenty of credit in my Rado Vox theme,(read the OP)

I also used ZERO of his images in my modification, It was 100% changed.

Get yer facts straight ya petty troublemaker.

Last edited by vStyler; 06-05-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #35
timlloyd

Quote:
Get yer facts straight ya petty troublemaker.
A troublemaker is only made when people retaliate V ... and with that, I'm out.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
karbomusic

Quote:
Like i said, It's up to the original author to voice any complaints as far as I can see it.
White Tie clearly asked not to do this for that very theme. I don't see the need for WT to run to every other thread on the forum to reiterate it. If the OP missed that request, there shouldn't be a problem if someone points it out before the OP completely finishes the theme only to find out when it is too late.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
vStyler

Thanks for the compliment..

Looks super with the changes, another suggestion, the 2 pixel tall meter increments u have on either side of the fader, might i suggest toning down the light, underneath pixel, make it maybe 70% of its current brightness, then about 50% opacity so that the color of the MCP underneath comes thru as a lighter version of the original color...but no so bright that its too bright.

As they sit over a gradient, to make sure it looks authentic you will need to lighten\darken the lighter pixel to look uniform as the gradient changes.

It will look more indented, which is, I assume what you want to portray?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
vStyler

every other thread ?

What others?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
space_echo201

Quote:
Looks super with the changes, another suggestion, the 2 pixel tall meter increments u have on either side of the fader, might i suggest toning down the light pixel, make it maybe 70% of its current brightness, then about 50% opacity so that the color of the MCP underneath comes thru as a lighter version of the original color...but no so bright that its too bright.
Good catch... I'll do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
^ There were/are a few people testing it. Was really hoping that one of them/you hadn't leaked it as that would be in poor taste - but that's not the case which is good

I do realise that you're changing things, but it would be good to keep in mind that WT has requested a few times that people not release derivative themes until Imperial is finished and out there. Of course, it's up to you but do keep it in mind, as it was a friendly request from a long-time prolific contributor to the "open-source" theme concept that we all enjoy.
Yeah that certainly not the case here. Like I said previously, I'm running a pretty regular resolution monitor on my audio setup and probably won't be able to handle Imperial anyway.

Last edited by space_echo201; 06-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
karbomusic

Quote:
every other thread ?

What others?
In order to follow your advice he (White Tie) either needs to be told, or he has no choice but to search and visit every thread in order to state his feelings on the matter as you suggested. His original request and it being referenced should be enough. I don't see the problem with being nice and honoring his request as-is.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote