Old 06-27-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default Eyssina for Reaper 5...

Hi, all !

Well, as Reaper 5 is at its RC stage (which means that there will be no more theming options added for v5.00), I think it's time to deliver the adaptation of my former Cubase like 'Piolit' theme to it. Actually, I made so many changes (and yes, improvements...) that I named it differently. So, here we go...

1) This theme is supposed to be used with Reaper 5 (including 'pre' and 'RC' releases). Don't expect it to be efficiently usable with Reaper 4.xx...
In a near future, I'll probably upload a last version of the 'Piolit' theme to adjust or improve few things, but this one will certainly not implement all the changes done for 'Eyssina' : my laziness says to me that there is too much work for a deprecated version...

2) The 'Piolit' theme was declined in two separated versions : one with fixed mcp panels vertical sizes and the other with adjustable ones. I kept this, but bundled the two in the same .zip file, as they are both sharing the same toolbars, actions, etc... I guess that, this way, it will be more easy for you to switch from one version to the other if needed. Beside this, it will only appear as one item in the stash and, consequently, ease the maintenance of it. Should have done this much sooner, I think...

3) Addition of Reaper 5 compliant way of displaying the track colors in the tcp/mcp panels. This gives a 'Cubase 5.5 look' that I was liking a lot, at the time.

4) Countless cosmetic changes and graphic optimizations. Absolutely unable to list them all, honestly. The main things I could think of, though, are the redesign of the 'Toolbar1', with removal and additions of few functions, tcp panel controls display optimizations, and the way the folder tcp panels are indented, among many others...

5) Addition of the 'fxparm' controls in the tcp panels, which were still missing in the last version of the 'Piolit' theme.

6) Addition of 'Reduced' tcp layouts for each of the previously existing types of track. This, to allow a true 'Cubase like' display of the tcp panels by masking volume, fxparm and pan/width controls. Additionaly, it will help giving the overall arrange view a little less clogged aspect.

7) Addition of a VCA/GM layout, specifically designed for use of VCA, as well as Group Master control tasks. The controls available in the panel are the ones that can be 'linked' via the grouping matrix window.

8) Last but not least and, as this one is a kind of test, I would really like specific feedback and comments from you about it : I redesigned the way folder tracks are displayed in both tcp and mcp panels, by removing some controls in them. Why so ?
- First, and the Reaper manual clearly states it in its dedicated paragraph, a folder track is designed to be used as a submix bus. Consequently, I removed from the tcp/mcp panels of it all the controls used for any direct recording tasks.
- Second, the result is visually much better and coherent, IMO, as we end up with folder tracks appearing more or less as the 'Master' one. I really like seeing and using folder tracks like this since I achieved this change, just few days ago.
But everything comes at a cost : doing this with folder tracks display requires from the user to set the all the controls in a relevent way first, before setting a track as a folder, and I'm thinking mainly of the 'record arm' button, here. This is probably the weak point of the approach, even if you can toggle the involved track 'folderstate' status anytime as usual to make the appropriate settings for a folder usage as a submix bus. But yes, I reckon that this way of arranging folder track controls could be the subject of a debate...

At this point, I must admit that I haven't try to use the new 'macro' features that appeared in the Reaper 5 'pre' versions : they are not documented, yet. So, and to be honest, this theme is basically an improved 'Piolit' theme that also takes account of the few added and easily accessible features newly available in Reaper 5. Let's see what future will bring with the new instructions...

An important thing, I think, needs a reminder : for the ones patient enough to fully test this theme, and as for the 'Piolit' one, be sure to install everything bundled in the .zip file, by following the instructions listed in the Readme.txt one. I admit that some of them are tedious, especially the ones related to the layout actions, as there is no way to save these in a dedicated file which would considerably ease the theme distribution process, but well... At the end, the whole theme (which could be thinked as an environment) makes really sense if everything is installed and ready to work. I have thought about using a .ReaperConfigZip file to ease its installation, but am still unsure about the eventual consequences for any potential user of 'Eyssina' : more tests to do before truely considering it.

I just hope that this theme will be useful for some, here, and I'm especially thinking of the ones who took interest of the previous 'Piolit' theme and interviened in its dedicated thread : thanks again, as you allowed me to keep the motivation to release the present one.

Any issue report, feedback or comment is welcomed, and sorry for the (probably too) long presentation...

EDIT - 21st december 2015 - no longer updated as an independent theme - see here for updates : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1689/CubicPack.zip

Last edited by cubic13; 12-21-2015 at 04:27 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
cubic13

1.10 update :

- Several fixes concerning the display of both mcp/tcp controls when automation modes other than trim/read are engaged, especially the mcp.pan/width ones,
- Redesign of several 'gen' controls,
- A little more optimized tcp.fxparm behavior,
- Changing of the track label font to 'Calibri'/bold/10, as it is a little more compact, and consequently allows a better display of informations in dialogs such as the 'Controls' one for send parameters.
- Changes in the colors of windows background, which gives (IMO) a better aspect of the MIDI editor, among others.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Commala

The pan label font looks strangely compacted:

Same for the TCP pans.
It looks fine on the master track though.

Edit: I also noticed a thin line on the engaged rec arm button that isn't shaded.

Last edited by Commala; 07-04-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
cubic13

Hi, Commala

Indeed, it looks a little strange. The cause is the 'Faster text rendering' option (in the 'Appearance' pane of the Preferences) : try to untick it and see if the result is better. Will probably have to find another font that behaves in a better way with this option (I always keep it unticked, actually). I choosed a very little size of the font used (Arial) to make as much information visible as possible when a 'Narrow' layout is used. But I admit that maybe the font should be the same for master track and the other ones. Will try to find a better solution in the next update.

About the thin line on the engaged recarm button, well, I simply don't see it. Could you try to post another screenshot ?

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Commala

It's a horizontal line that intersects the top of the inner black circle. It is a more saturated red that's discontinuous with the rest of the subtle shading that you have on the button.

I've altered the image levels here to make it more obvious

Also, I tried unticking 'faster text rendering' and you're right, the text becomes much more readable.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
cubic13

Got it and fixed, thanks ! For a reason, one of the line of the mcp recarm button files was at RGB 244,0,0 instead of RGB 235,40,40. Strangely, it was almost invisible, here.

I just uploaded a fix for this one, if you have time.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Commala

Tried the new one, that looks better from here.

Another bit of feedback, if you will:

In the MCP, the fx parameter section sits between the inserts and sends. However, if you hide the fx parameter section (as I often do), then there is no delineation between inserts and sends. This makes it difficult to resize the sections and know where to click to create sends.

Edit: Regarding the behaviour of folder tracks, currently you have the layout change when the track is made a folder parent, and you remove the phase and track record mode, record arm, and monitor buttons. I'm not an expert, but are there not times when someone might wish to record the output of a bus all together? So the record arm and record mode buttons could still be needed there?

Someone more experienced operating a DAW might know for sure, but this is just something that crossed my mind.

Last edited by Commala; 07-04-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
cubic13

Noted for the next update. Indeed, there is a need for a kind of separator here, in this case...

About the behavior of the folder tracks : it's the discussion I wanted to engage since the release of this theme, as it's a kind of test.

IMO, as the folder is more or less a submix bus, there shouldn't be anything directly recorded on it. Of course, there can be the need to record the result of the submix, but this can be easily done this way :
1) Create an audio track and engage its record arm button,
2) Set the recmode of it as 'Record : output (stereo)',
3) In the folder track, make a send to the previously created audio track,
4) Click on the 'Record' button of the transport. Done !

I present folder tracks in this theme in a different way because I think it's simply more coherent to do things like this, and the whole display of both the arrange and mixer windows are clearer, IMO. But it's indeed a subject of a debate.

Last edited by cubic13; 07-04-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
hopi

nice of you to keep it alive and growing! I'll watch for your notice of ver. 1.11
Old 07-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #10
cubic13

Thanks again, as ever, hopi...

1.15 update :
- Fix for incorrect display of master.mcp.solo and master.mcp.env controls in EyssinaFM (the fixed mcp panel height version).
- Fix for incorrect display of tcp/mcp.solodefeat control when this option was engaged.
- Added : in the mixer, a seperator between fx list and send one, useful when fxparm controls are not displayed.
- Font changes for mcp pan/width.

The font changes are a kind of compromise, while searching for the magical font who would allow me to have a readable display of informations at small size, this, with the 'Faster text rendering' option ticked in the preferences...
Old 07-06-2015, 04:04 AM   #11
cubic13

1.20 update :
- An optimized and more elegant (I think...) behavior of separators between the different sections of the extended mixer,
- Few added fixes concerning the 'gen' controls,
- Added few overlay files that were missing in the 'Eyssina' version (the adjustable height of the mcp panels one).
Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 AM   #12
rvman

Very nice. I really like this.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #13
EpicSounds

Promoted it on my blog

http://reaperblog.net/2015/07/eyssin...me-for-reaper/
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
cubic13

Thanks to both of you !

@EpicSounds
I wasn't expecting this... So, a special thank for the promotion.

I'm about to upload a new version of this theme (probably tomorrow ; few things to check first...) : just hope that it won't alter the links you provided on your blog. Nice one, by the way...

Thanks again !
Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #15
cubic13

1.30 update (18th july 2015) :
- A graphical redesign of the transport panel (Cubase 7 inspired...),
- An optimized and more progressive color Midimap,
- Few color adjustments in the 'Theme tweak' window,
- A little redesign of the master.mcp panel,
- A little added optimization of the tcp.fxparms controls : will I ever get these as I really want ? Using both the related arrows .png files is a nightmare...
Old 07-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
hopi

a thought... the zip file from the stash is still named 1.10... even though on the stash page the top words say 1.30
Old 07-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
cubic13

Hi, hopi

"I think I'm dumb" (Nirvana, 1993)...

Seriously, I don't understand really how the stash is working. Actually, the 1.10 was the version that I first uploaded on this precise location. Since, I made four updates of new versions all named differently, and the stash keeps on proposing 1.10 and even renames the .zip file uploaded (I carefully named it 'Eyssina130.zip' before uploading it...). I already had to destroy a previous one for this exact reason, after thinking that I probably made somewhere a mistake...

The essential, though, is that the downloadable file is actually the most recent one and I tested this again after the upload : the so called '110' contains actually 130.

So, to clarify this mess, I'm going to destroy this one again and make a new one, without any reference to the version uploaded : what else could be done, at this stage ?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #18
cubic13

v 1.50 uploaded - several graphic changes and enhancements :

1) reshaped a little the tcp panels in a more compact way : one pixel gained vertically (yes, this can count when having something like 30 tracks or more in an arrangement...) and few horizontally,
2) few changes done also in the mixer (recinput control, 'Narrow' layouts meters and pan/width labels...)
3) rebuilt from scratch of the recarm/recmon buttons : they are less 'pixelized', now...
4) Changes in all the controls transparency : more 'Cubase like' than ever...
5) few color changes in the 'theme tweak' window,
6) Few changes in the transport panel,
7) Rebuilt the toolbars, which can now be freely configured thanks to the bundled new icons set (see the readme.txt for more details). The latter explains the increase of the zip file size.

To the previous versions users : be sure to install the new toolbars, as all the toolbar icon names have been changed.

I think that this version is the definite one, unless... As ever, feedback and comments are welcomed.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #19
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Hi, hopi

"I think I'm dumb" (Nirvana, 1993)...

Seriously, I don't understand really how the stash is working. Actually, the 1.10 was the version that I first uploaded on this precise location. Since, I made four updates of new versions all named differently, and the stash keeps on proposing 1.10 and even renames the .zip file uploaded (I carefully named it 'Eyssina130.zip' before uploading it...). I already had to destroy a previous one for this exact reason, after thinking that I probably made somewhere a mistake...

The essential, though, is that the downloadable file is actually the most recent one and I tested this again after the upload : the so called '110' contains actually 130.

So, to clarify this mess, I'm going to destroy this one again and make a new one, without any reference to the version uploaded : what else could be done, at this stage ?
good idea, and yes, a royal PITA... but I too have run into similar issues on the stash... so it's not just you! Again, thanks much for your ongoing work.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:55 PM   #20
cubic13

Thanks again, hopi...

1.55 update :
- Got rid of the tinttcp and peaksedges commands to allow access again at several peaks/waveforms preferences, as in Reaper 4 (thanks, gofer... ).
- Changed Several colors in the 'Theme tweak' window accordingly.
- Implemented the new tcp_master_minheight command that allow a more fully redimensionable tcp.master panel, vertically.
- Few more graphical optimizations.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
hopi

thanks again for the updates.... might want to edit the text in post #1 so it don't say 1.30 but 1.50 now... right?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #22
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
thanks again for the updates.... might want to edit the text in post #1 so it don't say 1.30 but 1.50 now... right?
Indeed... Done !
Old 08-25-2015, 05:03 AM   #23
Thierr7

Great "Cubendo" Theme ! I like it a lot , Thanks !

PS ; I'd like to be able to change the colors of TCP and MCP : Different color for VST ins , Audio , Busses , Master ... but i don't know how !

Congrats Anyway .
Thierr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
cubic13

Hi, Thierr7

About changing the color of different tracks, this can be made in the usual way : right-click on the involved track and choose Track color... > Set tracks to custom color... or use the SWS track colors... option if you have the SWS extension installed. This will color at least the dedicated box color in the tcp, as well as the name area in the mcp. It won't color the full tcp panel, though, as I simply hate the resulting kaleidoscopic display of the arrange view when allowing this, and the model doesn't work like that, anyway.

To change the colors according to the different kinds of tracks, there are actually two ways :

- when adding a track, using the dedicated buttons which do so in the bundled 'toolbar1' of the theme and recolor it as described above.

- Another way for adding a track with everything in place, including the kind of track is to save a track template with color and layout already set for each kind of them with the Save track as track template... command. I am considering using this kind of solution for future updates, as the action layouts used in the toolbar are rather clumsy to set and, even more, are saved in the reaper.ini file, thus can't be saved independently.

Hope this will help...
Old 08-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #25
Hartley Mays

Default Custom Actions?

Thanks for all the work on the theme and its interesting features.

I'm going through all the actions on the toolbars and have found at least a couple that seem to be custom actions that aren't defined anywhere. Nothing seems to happen when I run them. These are the custom zoom actions o Floating Toolbar 1. What do I need to do to use these actions?

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #26
cubic13

Indeed, there are two zoom related icons in the toolbar that are working with a macro for each of them. Initially, the first one (smooth vertical zoom in) associates the 3 following actions :

Track : select all tracks
View : increase selected track heights a little bit
Track : unselect all tracks

The second one (smooth vertical zoom out) was more or less the same but the second action involved is Decrease selected track heights a little bit'.

You can recreate both these macros in the 'Actions' window with the 'New...' button and select the previoulsly listed actions in the 'Edit custom action' window. After this, they should be working with the toolbar buttons dedicated to them. But you can also, and in a more simple way, associate directly the involved toolbar buttons to Increase/Decrease selected track heights actions. It's up to you. I did the macros at first because for me, the increase/decrease steps of the vertical zoom were too big, but it's just me...

I forgot to mention this in the Readme.txt file until now. So, it's something to do in the next release. Sorry for this...
Old 08-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #27
sostenuto

@ cubic13 or anyone using Eyssina in Windows.
----------------------------------------------

I'm fine until here in Read Me ....

To use any of these :

1) Copy the Eyssina[AM/FM].ReaperThemeZip file in an independent folder
2) Unzip it : you now have a .ReaperTheme file and an Eyssina[AM/FM] folder
3) Copy the needed icon shapes in the latter
4) Zip again the two elements together and change the .zip extension to .ReaperThemeZip.
5) Replace the existing file in Reaper 'ColorThemes' subfolder with the new one
6) In Reaper, reload the theme and reshape the toolbar as desired, with the 'Options/Customize menus/toolbars...' command.

Since I have two [ EyssinaAM155 and FM155 ] zipped files to start with in my download, I never have .. 1) Copy the Eyssina [AM/FM].ReaperThemeZip file

Using Windows 10 64-bit. Can you help me work thru 1) to 6) above? I am normally fine with file/folder manipulation in Windows, but find the above instructions difficult. See Attachment of my Download.

Theme is working fine, but cannot use its great features as you describe.

Thank-you

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #28
cubic13

Hi, sostenuto

The aim, at this point, is to have the desired shape of each icons of the 'toolbar1' in the images folder of a given version of the theme : as there are two ones (AM for the version which have mcp panels with adjustable heights / FM for the version which have fixed mcp panel height), you need to do the whole process for both of them if you want to use both.

From which, in 1), when I state Copy the Eyssina[AM/FM].ReaperThemeZip file..., it's actually Copy the EyssinaAM.ReaperThemeZip OR Copy the EyssinaFM.ReaperThemeZip. Same thing for 2) : you should have either EyssinaAM OR EyssinaFM as images folder in which the needed icons shapes should be placed, depending of the version of the theme you are processing.

I admit it's rather complicated and I actually did this to keep the upload as slim as possible. Once downloaded, and as the size of the whole theme is less critical, you can make things simpler by copying the whole content of the 'ToolbarIconsSet' in the images folder of each version (EyssinaAM and/or EyssinaFM). It will perfectly work but also increase the size of one or the other .ReaperThemeZip obtained in 4) ; something like 700 kB instead of 465. But this way, you'll have at disposal all the shapes needed to customize the toolbar as wanted in 6). Maybe it's better to do so, and I should probably have been more clear about this : something else to do for next update...

Hope this will help...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:04 AM   #29
Thierr7

Thanks a lot Cubic 13 , This defenatly helps ! Eyssina is my "Main" Theme for a while now
Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #30
sostenuto

@ cubic13 ___ many thanks for detailed and clarifying Reply. I understand and apologies for missing the logic.

Great Theme and one I will be using and learning now.

Regards,
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #31
cubic13

Thanks to you both...

v 1.60 just uploaded:

- mixer pan/width thumbs widened, for an easier use of them with the mouse.
- added fixes of the mixer u/d arrows.
- fixed a glitch of the items display when the tracks backgrounds colors were significately changed.
- fixed an omission : two 'macros' related to the 'vertical zoom' toolbar icons were missing.
- Reshaped faders, which are now more Cubase 6.5 like.
- several added modifications of the colors in the 'theme tweak' window.
- A little darkened arrange view.
- Changes of names done in the different bundled files : more precisions in the updated readme.txt file.

Last edited by cubic13; 08-27-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #32
Thierr7

Great News !!! :-)Even Better , Nice Goodies with 5.0.1

Thanks and Congrats ...

Last edited by Thierr7; 08-27-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #33
cubic13

Thanks to you, Thierr7...

v 1.80 just uploaded. Several changes :

- A redesign of the envcp panel : as there is a Walter bug which makes the envcp panel behaves differently than the tcp one when a 'w<xxx' width test is done on a fader, the track being in a folder. So, I finally resigned myself to put a knob instead. Workarounds, always workarounds...
- The more I was using it, the more the 'spreadsheet' look of the extended part of the mixer was getting on my nerves : so, I got rid of all the unnecessary horizontal lines that were still there. More sober this way, I think. I also changed the mcp backgrounds colors and their gradients.
- Several added adjustments concerning the different tcp width tests.
- A reshape of the items display, which is now more Cubase 6.5 compliant.
- A redesign of the tcp/mcp controls which are now also more Cubase 6.5 like.
- Other cosmetic changes done here and there.

Hope that some of you will find it useful...
Old 10-29-2015, 03:27 AM   #34
cubic13

v 1.90 just uploaded...

Essentially, there is only one change, but I think it's a significative improvement over previous versions : I got rid of all the layout actions. Why so ?

- First, they are clumsily implemented : change the theme and you're stuck with the same layout actions, even if the theme just choosed has nothing to do with them. This is because they are saved in reaper.ini, instead of being saved in the theme for which they are meaningful.
- Second, they are not savable independently, from which it's a chore to set them as wanted, this, only for this theme.

The overall behavior of the layout actions was getting more and more on my nerves, so I ended up programming lua scripts for any layouts changes. The result is both a significative simplification of the theme installation process and a much more efficient way to deal with the different layouts and sublayouts of the theme, when using it. Actually, and for each toolbar icon dedicated to its own type of track, a little menu is open, allowing to choose the needed tcp/mcp layouts combination for the track(s) selected, this in one pass : no more boring usage of Reaper 'Set track layout' command needed...

There is a little quirk remaining, though : when a menu is opened, there is still the graphic window that appears with it. I reduced its dimensions as much as I could, but couldn't go further with my present lua programming skills. Not a biggie, I think, as it disappears as soon as an option is choosed. But I'd be delighted if someone could show me the way to get rid of it. Something to improve (maybe) for a future update...

Consequently, I changed the 'toolbar1' disposition : so, for any user of the theme, be sure to replace the previous one with it and install the new lua scripts. More details in the bundled readme.txt file.

Any feedback welcomed...

Last edited by cubic13; 10-29-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 AM   #35
vanhaze

Just awesome work : thank you so much for keeping on developing this beauty Theme !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #36
tacomachuck1

Default so....

I can't get 3d'ish looking track audio/midi files, everything is just all 2d looking flat. However in your image you provided of the skin/theme things look so much more robust.
So the '.menu' files are actually supposed to be put in the menuset directory, right? and renamed to menuset?

I'm new to all of this, perhaps it's too complicated to use your themes?

thanks
tacomachuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 AM   #37
Luster

Just read the last lines of the first post again...
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #38
tacomachuck1

Default thanks

thanks Luster.
tacomachuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #39
todoublez

Hi, the download link is dead.
is thrr any other way that I can get this theme ?
It looks great !
thx
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #40
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
Hi, the download link is dead.
is thrr any other way that I can get this theme ?
It looks great !
thx
CubicPack was updated to CubicPack3

You may want to also look at these:
- CubicPack3_DarkThemes
- CLogic
- NitrogenPack

::