Old 02-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
tgraph
Human being with feelings

Default C++ crashes

I'm experiencing a lot of crashes connected with Visual C++. I thought it was due to Toontraks VSTi's.. Superior Drummer 2 and EZKeys... but I have both of those offline now and I'm getting it still.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm running:
Intel Core i5-357K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB memory (3.16 usable)
Windows 10 32 bit

It used to be very very stable, but in the last month it's been getting worse... I went to Microsoft and updated/reinstalled C++.
Not sure where to look next.

Thanks for any help.

edit to add:
a little more information. It seems to be memory related. If I open a project from the taskbar directly, the memory (watching in the performance metering) climbs to a point where the error occurs... If I load Reaper, and then a project the same thing happens. If I load Reaper and then the project with FX offline and then add them in one at a time, it doesn't and I can play and edit. Some FX doesn't like the way it's being loaded? Multiple instances of a certain FX?

RPP file:
https://stash.reaper.fm/manage_file/29833/NewRock.RPP

FX List:
Stereo Channel - 2
TDR Nova GE - 2
TDR Slick EQ M
TB Barricade
Real EQ - 2
GlaceVerb
Classic Delay
Molot - 2
TDR VOS Slick GE - 3
PanCake2
Limiter 6
ThrillseekerLA
Neutrino - 3

Last edited by tgraph; 02-13-2017 at 11:55 AM.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
tgraph

Default solved

It seems this is of little interest but I thought I'd follow up with what I did.

I went thru a bunch of the event reports and couldn't pin any one thing down. Various plug ins caused the crash at various times.. Limiter 6, GlaceVerb, Baxter and others..

I opened a new project and copied the .wavs into the new one from the old one... the same tracks... and then i put the plugins back in.. all the same ones.

It seems to be working fine again.

It's all of the same things in the same places as before but this project doesn't cause the memory leak or what ever it was.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
bolgwrad

Just wondering if your reaper installation and/or plugins are on an external drive. This came up in another crash thread. My plugins are on a USB drive and I need to watch memory load, maybe the USB data link getting um, stressed. Have to say Reaper crashes clean as anything.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Windows 10 32 bit
^Likely this is the problem, reaper has a built in protection mechanism that will start throwing errors just before it crashes when it can't allocate memory. Once we factor in memory fragmentation, you don't really have 3GB at the end of the day. For example you might get to 2.2 GB and crash because some allocation needs more memory than the current largest free block which will be far smaller than that remaining total of ~1GB that is left.

I wrote a series on this back in 2001 or so but I'm fairly/somewhat sure this is what you are experiencing. As far as a leak, it could be any reference that was there before that isn't now but could very well come back once the project starts pushing the limit again. With 16GB installed you really should go to 64 bit Windows and Reaper at some point.