Old 05-20-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
puremusic
Human being with feelings

Default Speeding up Note Fade Out

Hey, beginner here, got a question about note fade out. Here I am playing my piano VST in Reaper, and when I hit the keys, and keep 'em down, the notes sustain but don't fade out to nothing as quickly as I want.

Is there a way for me to adjust the speed of the note fade out, so that while it sustains when I hold the key, it fades out quicker or slower?

A MIDI effect plugin or setting I can set?

To be clear I want something real time and global here for when I am playing, not to have to go and after I'm done start applying individual fader effects to each note.
puremusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
slipstick

That's the sort of thing that's normally done within the VST itself. If you say what VST you're using someone will probably know it. Look for controls called "Decay", "Release" or something similar and try adjusting them.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #3
puremusic

This is really too bad, as the VSTs don't have it.

I have three different piano VSTs I normally use and none of them have it.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #4
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by puremusic View Post
This is really too bad, as the VSTs don't have it.

I have three different piano VSTs I normally use and none of them have it.
What are the names of your three piano VSTs?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
puremusic

Sonivox EightyEight, Fazioli Concert Grand, Braunschweig Upright.

The former has a knob labeled "Release" but it does nothing whatsoever that I can tell, maxed or minned.

The latter uses ISP's player since I don't have Kontakt, and that only comes with a volume knob.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
slipstick

I guess those who make the detailed and super-accurately sampled pianos don't want you messing with the decay rates so that they no longer sound like the originals. They assume that anyone buying e.g. a deep-sampled 9ft Steinway wants it to sound like one.

I'm not a piano player by any stretch of the imagination so I only use simple things like MDAPiano. That does have a Decay control that does what you're asking for. OTOH the overall sound may not be good enough for you. It might be easier just to find a piano VST that does sound like you want your piano to sound.

Steve
Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
puremusic

Decay, yes that sounds like what I'd like to find. I feel like it's odd I can't find a simple plugin to manipulate note decay on the fly.

Yes, I go for realistic sounding piano plugins, not the electric piano or sample modeled pianos. I guess I'm fighting against the tide here.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
slipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by puremusic View Post
Yes, I go for realistic sounding piano plugins, not the electric piano or sample modeled pianos. I guess I'm fighting against the tide here.
Well the 3 you quoted are all sampled pianos. And I'm still having trouble understanding why you say you "go for realistic sounding" pianos but you want to be able to change the sound so it no longer sounds realistic. But I guess we all have our own ideas.

The simple plugin you want would probably be fairly complex because I'm pretty sure you'll want the decay time to vary by note so lower notes sustain longer and high notes have only short sustains...which would give a plugin some work to do when you're playing spread out chords. You could always try asking in the "JSFX and Reascript discussion forum" http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 to see if any of the scripting/coding gurus know of such a thing or might be interested in writing one.

Steve
Old 05-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
puremusic

Sampled pianos, and sample modeled are different things.

Just making a sound fade out a bit quicker isn't a matter of less realism as far as I can tell, especially if it's quite a long note.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
puremusic

It's just a matter of volume control after all.