Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Buttrey
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Wiki vs. Forums?

Hi. I'm new Newbie from Newbietown, so I can't yet contribute anything helpful to these excellent forums. But I would like to be a useful member of the Reaper community, if I can call it that. One skill I have is copy-editing, and I thought I might be able to make myself useful going over the Wiki pages to see if any help is needed there.

But it seems to me that the forums are much deeper and fuller than the Wiki -- not that the latter isn't great, because it is, but the forums are everywhere and all things, if you catch my drift.

Is the general thinking that the Wiki continues to be useful, and that it would be helpful if people like me tried to expand, clarify, correct them and so on? Or is it true that, realistically, the forums have, for better or worse, left the Wiki behind?

Thanks for any input,
Dr. Von Newbiewitz
Buttrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
soul&folk

I think the manuals are so good that there's no need for anything else. When something rare comes up, you ask on the forum and get 5 helpful people within an hour showing you 5 ways to solve your problem. Most of the time you discover that the answer was in the manual!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/25/
soul&folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Buttrey

Thanks, Soul&Folk. I certainly have seen lots of great stuff in the forums.

I'll figure out some other way to make the world of Reaper better. Maybe by making great music with it -- maybe.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
soul&folk

Or maybe by using it so creatively that your questions spur some creative answers teaching us some new new ways to use Reaper!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Fabian

Personally, I think the wiki is seriously underused. The same questions get answered again and again here in the forum, with only small changes in the replies, and this could definitely be managed better in the wiki. I have on a few occasions taken answers from this forum and put them in the wiki (with links to the forum threads). Then answers to already asked questions can simply be given in the form of a wiki link. I think that is one way to go.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Hartley Mays

Default Better Forum search?

Related to this discussion, I think that one reason that questions are repeated frequently on the forum is that the forum search option is so limited. As far as I know, you can only use one keyword, with no advanced search options to specify exact strings, include or exclude multiple keywords, etc. Also, when the search results include a post with multiple pages on it, it doesn't show which page(s) the keyword was found on. I don't know if Cockos maintains the code for the forum or uses a canned package, but it would be really helpful to beef up its capabilities.

I've tried using Google insterad of the forum search including Cockos Reaper forum in the keywords, but get a bunch of superfluous garbage in the results.

To get better use of the Wiki, maybe the "power" Reaper users that are so helpful on the forum could include links to relevant wiki pages in their replies for a while to get people used to looking at it. But my own experience with the wiki is that there's an awful lot of gaps in it; I haven't so far found it to be of much consistent use beyond the User Guide.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

I use Google advanced search restricted to search only forum.cockos.com. Works quite well.

This is my bookmark:

http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_sea...=50&lr=lang_en

As of the Wiki, it would be very cool if a bunch of people could try and bring it into the shape it deserves.

To shine some positive light on it: The Wiki is currently the best available resource concerning the use of ReaScript, thanks to a tremendous effort made by MikeLacey. I do link there in posts when it seems fit .

But other linkage would imply that one knows by heart what is available (reasonably up to date) on the Wiki and where it is...

...hehe, Buttrey maybe that's a job for you?

(Ouch, my tongue and cheek are hurting now. Welcome to the forums, get yourself a comfy chair and just let it happen. Reaperworld is getting better all the time, just like so.)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Mays View Post
As far as I know, you can only use one keyword, with no advanced search options to specify exact strings, include or exclude multiple keywords, etc.
The forum is powered by vBulletin, which is pretty standard and it has quite ok search facility. You can include more than one keyword in your search, and "not" will exclude the following word. There are lots of (more or less obvious) search tricks: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...in-Search-Tips

But yes, searching could be more intuitive... and many threads could be named better...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
soul&folk

thanks for that, gofer. It's now one of my bookmarks too.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Buttrey

Thanks to all for the input. Gofer, you're 100% right about using Google with "site:forum..." etc. Very handy and thanks, also, to Fabian.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot on the Reaper forums.

Thanks again,
Buttrey (Dr. Von Newbiewitz)