Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
gepomuk
Human being with feelings

Default reaper + wineasio latency error

Hi all,

after lots of trouble I got jackd and wineasio working in kubuntu, but now I still can't use it:

While jackd reports a certain latency (e.g. 186 ms) reaper always shows 46 ms no matter what jackd does or what I set in device preferences. If I set the jackd options so that the real latency is 46.4 ms, reaper shows 23 ms instead. The result is that the recorded tracks have an offset, which is something between 30 ms and 300 ms for some reason. Audio Hardware is a Boss GT10, which allows to re-amp guitar tracks via USB by sending audio to the device and at the same time recording from the device. The offset can be easily seen when I send a click track with the device set to "through", which should return the unprocessed signal identical with the input. In windows, this works. Why not in Linux?

Last edited by gepomuk; 12-18-2010 at 06:55 AM.
gepomuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
richie43

Quote:
In windows, this works. Why not in Linux?
Because if you really want to use Reaper, wineasio will never perform as well as native. And if you are really set on using linux for your audio, start learning Ardour, Jack, and Jamin. Do a search here and you will see many posts about Reaper and linux. A few people have got it up and running, but probably not as seamless as in a native application. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
gepomuk

well maybe some of the mentioned software works as efficiently (in terms of hardware consumption and user interface) as reaper. I would give it a try, if any of them was cross-platform, which is not the case as far as I know. It must run especially an a mac (I have to exchange projects with a mac user), but as well on windows machines because even if my main pc is a linux machine, I will probably never get rid of windows. Meanwhile I hardly use any application generating data which is not portable to the other systems.
gepomuk is offline   Reply With Quote