Old 10-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
LBan
Human being with feelings

Default Playback rate issue

I accidentally changed the playback rate of a VO project I'm doing on Reaper. In that project, I'm recording punch and roll.

So, to try and fix what I'd just accidentally done, I selected all items, and went into item properties to put the playback rate at "1" so it would be back to normal. But when I did that, it messed up all my punches - it made the mistakes all pop out and no longer be hidden.

Does anyone know why that would happen, when I just wanted to fix my playback rate? Thanks for your help.
LBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Playrate can be set per item or globally. Right click the transport bar to show the project playrate slider. If that doesn't help you might want to explain how you 'hid your mistakes' in the first place.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
LBan

By 'hid my mistakes' I meant that when I'm punch and roll recording, when I set a new punch, the old audio still exists, but it's hidden. What I normally see is all the audio, without the mistakes. But when I go into item properties to change the rate back to 1, it messes up these punches, making the mistakes now on the track. Does that make sense? Sorry if I'm not clear.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
foxAsteria

So you punch in takes? That has nothing to do with playrate, which is why I assumed that you accidentally altered the project playrate and tried to compensate by changing all the item playrates. Did you do that? In the future, I would recommend using undo to undo mistakes instead of performing further actions. Sorry, still not sure how that could have happened.

Did you ever actually change the item playrates during your process (by stretching or otherwise)? In any case, if your "hidden mistakes" are merely old takes, can you not just change the active take for the items?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
Goldreap

I think the problem might be that you need to adjust the playrate of all the takes in the item. Are you just adjusting the latest take and not the 'mistake' ones? When you open item properties you'll see where you can select each take...OR you can right click on the item> take> then choose the take you want to see on top then go into item properties and adjust....OR if you're happy with the latest take you could just delete all the 'mistake' ones by making sure the one you want is active (on top) then 'crop to active take'. Hope this helps.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
LBan

When I record with punch and roll, I don't have it set on so that that old takes appear on different tracks. I use tape mode.

And when this happened, it was because of something I accidentally did with the mouse wheel while listening back to some of what I'd recorded. And the result of what I did is that now each item says [.825 rate] above it. Whatever I did changed all the items in my project.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Goldreap

I think you accidently changed the tempo (BPM). Try this: Change all the item playrates back to .825, then increase the BPM until the rate change indications disappear from top of the items.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
LBan

I tried setting the BPM back to 120, and now when I change it, it doesn't do anything to the .825 rate. That just stays the same.

How would I go about returning to where the audio was on Friday Oct 27 in the afternoon? Is there a way to restore it to that?
Old 10-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBan View Post
How would I go about returning to where the audio was on Friday Oct 27 in the afternoon? Is there a way to restore it to that?
If you have backups set up in preferences>project, you should be able to go back to an older version. Search your computer for *.rpp-bak to see if there are backups.

If not, you should set it to store backups in additional directory. I recommend that because over time they will accumulate and eat up hard drive space, so it's convenient to just empty out a particular folder from time to time.

Also not sure what you mean by "tape mode," as that's just a monitoring mode in Reaper (only monitors input while recording) and doesn't affect takes. If you are punching takes on the same track, they should still be there in the items and you can select the active take by right clicking the item.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-31-2017 at 01:46 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Goldreap

Find your project file on your computer (with file extension .rpp)..next to it there should be some backup project files ending in .rpp-bak with dates...Reaper does this by default so if you haven't changed that behaviour in preferences they should be there.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Goldreap

Quote:
I tried setting the BPM back to 120, and now when I change it, it doesn't do anything to the .825 rate. That just stays the same.

At some point after noticing the rate change thing did you make changes to your timebase setting in either project settings or track settings or item properties? Try this: file> project settings> set timebase for items etc to Beats (position, length, rate). Now right click Track control panel> Track timebase> set to Project timebase. Now in media item properties set Item timebase to Track/Project default timebase. Now does changing BPM fix the rate change thing?
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
LBan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
At some point after noticing the rate change thing did you make changes to your timebase setting in either project settings or track settings or item properties? Try this: file> project settings> set timebase for items etc to Beats (position, length, rate). Now right click Track control panel> Track timebase> set to Project timebase. Now in media item properties set Item timebase to Track/Project default timebase. Now does changing BPM fix the rate change thing?
Yes! You are right. In getting advice from many fronts, I did change that. And when I set it like you told me to, I was able to adjust by changing the BPM. But to set the rate back to 1, or as close as I could get it, I had to set it to 145.52.

I was about halfway done recording this project. Do you think that these changes (including now have the BPM at 145.52) will affect the new recording that I do?

Thanks again to all who've replied. I'm relieved that I'm this much closer to having this all sorted out.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
Goldreap

Ok, but this could be tricky. Questions that come to mind are:

Was the original BPM of the project actually 120?
Do you remember exactly what timebase setting adjustment you made, or indeed was it more than one adjustment? And where...project, track, item?
Did you also adjust the master playrate..the one next to the BPM?
Is the recorded material still at the right pitch?

I think this could be solved, but tell me, did you find any backup projects?

And another possible solution is that all the audio you recorded should still be on your hard drive in it's original form and there are ways of getting it back (in its original position).

But yes, the easiest solution would be to open a backup if possible?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
LBan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Ok, but this could be tricky. Questions that come to mind are:

Was the original BPM of the project actually 120?
Do you remember exactly what timebase setting adjustment you made, or indeed was it more than one adjustment? And where...project, track, item?
Did you also adjust the master playrate..the one next to the BPM?
Is the recorded material still at the right pitch?

I think this could be solved, but tell me, did you find any backup projects?

And another possible solution is that all the audio you recorded should still be on your hard drive in it's original form and there are ways of getting it back (in its original position).

But yes, the easiest solution would be to open a backup if possible?
I think it was 120, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that in the middle trying to figure out what happened and fix it, I saw that it was down to 99. The pitch sounds fine currently, with the already recorded audio (I haven't tried recording any more yet). The master playrate is at 1.

I'm not sure how to access my backups, but I can look into it.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
Goldreap

View> ProjectMedia/FX Bay> click on the source media tab> will show you the path. That's where your project backups should be as well as the source media.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 AM   #16
foxAsteria

Quote:
I'm not sure how to access my backups, but I can look into it.
Or open up 'My Computer' and type "*.rpp-bak" into the search field. Assuming you're on Windows...