Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #121
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Yes, SSD4 uses 1.1 - 1.6 GB on my system.
Are you using Kontakt? If so, this sounds like you've got Kontakt set to Sampler Mode, if you can set it to DFD mode.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #122
jalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
JALAN:

Are you loading all 100 kits in at startup or something?
I don't have SSD4 yet. I heard it was a hog, so I'm trying to find out how much RAM it uses before I drop the cash since my system is far from top-of-the-line.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #123
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan View Post
I don't have SSD4 yet. I heard it was a hog, so I'm trying to find out how much RAM it uses before I drop the cash since my system is far from top-of-the-line.
I thought SSD4 came with a Kontakt player, is that not right? If it does, do you not have the ability to set all the samples to DFD mode?

I don't have SSD but I do have my own drums library and it's well over a Gig of samples. However, in DFD mode Reaper only shows about 300meg with all the parts loaded.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #124
mabian

SSD4 doesn't use Kontakt at all, it a brand new plugin completely.

I heard it uses a lot of RAM, so I thought it doesn't stream samples from disk.

Only Steven can say the final word on this though...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #125
mykrobinson

I just bought it today. I am downloading all that stuff at the moment, but I'd be glad to run whatever kind of tests you guys would like. I currently use Addictive Drums, which I LOVE, but i figured for $150 (upgrade/crossgrade discount) it was worth a shot just to get some more MIDI samples to play with since I dont have an e-drumset at home.

On a sidenote, for any of you who buy it, when you're filling out the form and it asks where you heard about it, be sure to reference Reaper
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #126
mykrobinson

For anyone who cares, here's my brief review of Steven Slate Drums 4, and I do address the question of memory usage:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95673

Hope to hear some banter over on that thread.

thanks for listening
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #127
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
For anyone who cares, here's my brief review of Steven Slate Drums 4, and I do address the question of memory usage:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95673

Hope to hear some banter over on that thread.

thanks for listening
Shame you didnt read MY comment earlier about actual hands on experience with SSD4 and a few of the many other drum romplers I own.

at least you OWN it, rather than all the chancers posting on here who are regurgitating a bunch hearsay from other people, who no doubt also haven't actually bought or even used SSD4.

This place is in danger of becoming gearslutz! (grin)

Seriously, the only difference I can see between your experience and mine is that I bought the cheapie and you bought platinum, so maybe the answer lies somewhere there?

Have you emailed Steven Slate or been on the Slate Drums forum?

Since I had planned on upgrading to platinum, based on how well LE is working for me, I would really like an answer to this one before I spend the extra, but in the meantime El Cheapo is working great for me.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #128
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Shame you didnt read MY comment earlier about actual hands on experience with SSD4 and a few of the many other drum romplers I own.

at least you OWN it, rather than all the chancers posting on here who are regurgitating a bunch hearsay from other people, who no doubt also haven't actually bought or even used SSD4.

This place is in danger of becoming gearslutz! (grin)

Seriously, the only difference I can see between your experience and mine is that I bought the cheapie and you bought platinum, so maybe the answer lies somewhere there?

Have you emailed Steven Slate or been on the Slate Drums forum?

Since I had planned on upgrading to platinum, based on how well LE is working for me, I would really like an answer to this one before I spend the extra, but in the meantime El Cheapo is working great for me.
The difference between them should just be the license for the library. The plugin should be the same (I think that was posted here earlier by slate)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #129
Steven Slate

Hi Folks, I'm back from NAMM.. I'll try to browse the recent posts regarding SSD4 and answer any questions and absorb any comments that will help us make SSD4 even better.

Thanks,
Steven
Steven Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #130
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
The difference between them should just be the license for the library. The plugin should be the same (I think that was posted here earlier by slate)
Yeah my post was my diffident english way of suggesting that something else was at play here.

I was already about 90% sure the app was all that loaded at initialisation and that is the main reason I am puzzled by the huge difference in ram use between us.
Hopefully Steven will come to the rescue with an answer.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #131
Steven Slate

Hi folks, as this thread has a lot of stuff going on, I'd be happy to answer any questions and take any suggestions if you can post them in bullet points.

I will also say that we've been listening and are already working on various optimizations and fixes, including making the MIDI map load/save very slick.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #132
gkurtenbach

Hi Steven,

First, SSD4 is a great release, thanks for doing it!

A suggestion, paraphrased from Jason Merrill in a different thread:

"you set up your output configuration in SSD, then set it up in reaper and then you're good to go! But only with that specific kit. Once you start switching out kit pieces, the output assignments reset, and you have to re-assign at least that part of the equation. What if we had smart mixer channels, that, for instance, if they have "snare" in the name, they automatically route to the previous outputs that snare was routed to, or the bus the snare was routed to?"

This would really help quickly audition the multitude of killer snares, etc in SSD4 through the effect chains I set up on a particular output.

thanks,
Gord
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #133
jalan

* What is the minimum/recommended RAM for SSD4?
* Are there optimizations planned to reduce RAM usage?
* If so, do you have an ETA for them and to what level would that reduce the minimum/recommended RAM?

I'm currently stuck on a Win XP machine which is maxed out at 3GB RAM -- just wanna know if SSD4 would work for me, either currently or in a future update. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond (and for the killer drum software)!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #134
The Buddha Rats

I've been watching this thread for a bit, and checked out the crossgrade prices, etc.. While I don't expect to purchase this sample set (I've got too many drum choices as it stands- AR 60's drums, AD, EPIK, and Wavesfactory) I wanted to take the time to say that I like how Steven seems responsive to the needs of his customers: He's courteous, and not stand-offish like some other owners of bigtime companies I've seen in certain threads. I wish him luck.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #135
politcat

^^^^

yeah, Steven has his feet firmly planted
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #136
Jae.Thomas

I would like to see more activity at his forum. That, of course, is something I am spoiled with here, and is not just steve's issue but the entire user community...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #137
Steven Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkurtenbach View Post
Hi Steven,

First, SSD4 is a great release, thanks for doing it!

A suggestion, paraphrased from Jason Merrill in a different thread:

"you set up your output configuration in SSD, then set it up in reaper and then you're good to go! But only with that specific kit. Once you start switching out kit pieces, the output assignments reset, and you have to re-assign at least that part of the equation. What if we had smart mixer channels, that, for instance, if they have "snare" in the name, they automatically route to the previous outputs that snare was routed to, or the bus the snare was routed to?"

This would really help quickly audition the multitude of killer snares, etc in SSD4 through the effect chains I set up on a particular output.

thanks,
Gord
Yup, we got a solution for this and you'll see it in an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan View Post
* What is the minimum/recommended RAM for SSD4?
* Are there optimizations planned to reduce RAM usage?
* If so, do you have an ETA for them and to what level would that reduce the minimum/recommended RAM?

I'm currently stuck on a Win XP machine which is maxed out at 3GB RAM -- just wanna know if SSD4 would work for me, either currently or in a future update. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond (and for the killer drum software)!
I think that SSD4 requires more RAM than that, and will post official system requirements at the product pages this weekend. I'll talk to my devs first before i give any wrong info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
I've been watching this thread for a bit, and checked out the crossgrade prices, etc.. While I don't expect to purchase this sample set (I've got too many drum choices as it stands- AR 60's drums, AD, EPIK, and Wavesfactory) I wanted to take the time to say that I like how Steven seems responsive to the needs of his customers: He's courteous, and not stand-offish like some other owners of bigtime companies I've seen in certain threads. I wish him luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I would like to see more activity at his forum. That, of course, is something I am spoiled with here, and is not just steve's issue but the entire user community...
I agree. It's been tough with the holiday and then with NAMM, but now things have settled down.. a little bit.. so I'm gonna get more rocking on the forum. We could use a USER mod to help us out. If anyone is interested slate@stevenslate.com

Steven