Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-16-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
CDH
Human being with feelings

Default Hello to all, can anyone help with OSC please...

Just recently moved to mixing all ITB after having to sell my old Soundcraft Ghost due to cost and lack of space, had it almost 20 years!

I'm taking too long mixing with the keyboard and mouse, so I've decided to use Touch OSC (iPad) as a touchscreen ChannelStrip controller with Reaper.

I've set up a ReaperOSC file and have my TouchOSC template working on the iPad fine, everything is working as I had hoped except I can't appear to get FX_PARAM_VALUE to send the parameter value from Reaper back to the iPad.

It reads like this in the ReaperOSC file

FX_PARAM_VALUE n/1/fx/@/fxparam/@/par s/1/fx/@/fxparam/@/value

I can send changes to the VST's no problem from the iPad (fx/3/fxparam/4/par) but can't seen to get the value back (fx/3/fxparm/4/value).

However using s/1/value@ in the ReaperOSC the values get sent back fine the first VST plugin (e.g. value2) but I can't get any values back from other plugs in the chain which is no good to me.

I know I'm missing a step or config somewhere, any help gratefully recieved!

Cheers,

CDH.
CDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #2
CDH

Default An update

Well after trying for a few hours yesterday I eventaully took a break getting the FX_PARAM_VALUE being sent from Reaper->iPad and finished a mixdown of an EP I had promised to finish for this week.

Good news was the OSC worked really well, all faders and rotary controls worked perfectly iPad->Reaper and also Reaper->iPad; if I changed or selected anything on the PC the iPad was updating as well - bi-directional communication - sweet!

All the track info, previous and next selction buttons and automation buttons worked without issue and I completed the mix in record time, for me anyway.

The real revelation for me was without the parameter feedback on the FX I was making changes 'blind' just going for what sounded right. I had a saturation plug, an EQ and a compressor all mirrored on the same FX inserts on every track and mapped to the Channel Strip I had setup on TouchOSC. Having everything I wanted on the same page, even without any values being sent back from Reaper, I definately worked faster and ended up being really pleased with the mix.

If you are thinking about going this route I can highly recommened it.

I'll continue trying to get the FX parameter value feedback to work from Reaper to the iPad as it still bugs me as to why it doesn't work, and there are times it will definately come in handy.

Any updates and solutions (if I get one sorted) will be posted here in case anyone else out there has the same issue.

I'm stil after help with it though, I've started to exhaust my limited knowledge and I'm finding any documention a bit sparse and difficult to fully understand, please if you have any tips let me know!

Cheers,

CDH.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 AM   #3
EricM

Check the LogicPad layout code in Channel Strip tab,
hope you'll find the answer there - I'm no expert
on OSC, just basic tweaking of my own interface atm.

e
Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
CDH

Thanks EricM!

I've actually tried that and have had limited sucess with it...

FX_PARAM_VALUE s/1/value@

It works with the value of whichever parameter (eg value1 set on the label on TouchOSC) showing on the iPad but only for the first FX in the insert chain.

I really need to get the values from the different effects I have eg /fx/4/value1 (FX_PARAM_VALUE s/1/fx/@/value@) but it doesn't work no matter how I try and format it!

Cheers,

CDH.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
CDH

A bit of progress...

After saying the bi-direction communication with Reaper and OSC is working it appears as if this is only for track items (volume, pan etc), not the FX. Changing the plugin parameter in Reaper does not change the parameter in TouchOSC at all.

Obviously, changing the FX fader/rotary in TouchOSC still changes the plugin in Reaper.

Not sure what that means but it might mean something to somebody!

I'm thinking as Track Selection is done on both Reaper and TouchOSC (and replicating changes on both) it could be that the value feedback on track items works as the track is selected in both. The FX stuff is not using selection but OSC parameters (n/1/fx/@/fxparam/@/par) works iPad to Reaper but not Reaper to iPad. the Track stuff reads the automation from Reaper and updates the iPad but not the FX stuff.

Don't know if DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS or DEVICE_FX_SELECT will make a difference I haven't got them in my ReaperOSC file a the moment. I'll try and update with any info. I've attached my ReaperOSC file in the hope someone night look at it and spot a fatal error!

Someone throw me a bone here, I'm pulling what's left of my hair out!

Cheers,

CDH.
Attached Files
File Type: reaperosc StripOSC.ReaperOSC (1.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 09-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Banned

Fwiw, I would recommend to NOT use the templates included with TouchOSC, they use a retarded namespace which will only confuse you (as it already seems to have done...). Better set up ALL the OSC message formats for the controls in the TouchOSC layout yourself, following the definitions in the Default.ReaperOSC file as closely as possible, and things will hopefully start to make much more sense.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
CDH

Banned,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've been thinking about starting from scratch after wasting another 5 hours today trying to make this work.

I've actually just bought a cheap android tablet to try to see if I can get osc commander TO work with the fx parameters I've been trying with touch osc without any joy. I just don't see why they don't work as intended.

I know I can still work with 1 way communication, and it might be even some benefit as I've previously mentioned, but when something doesn't work and I can't figure out why it's like a red rag to a bull....maybe I should just drop it and try out the new IK Multimrdia API emus I've just seen. I used to love a 560 on drums.

Thanks again,

CDH.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
MikeHukins

Default Struggling with forums and reaperOSC

Hi Guys, this could well be the wrong place to post this though I have no idea how to start a new thread so please forgive me for this seeming like a non-sequitor.
I'm having some trouble understanding the instructions in default.reaperOSC

I'm using touchOSC to try to control some basic features and I've managed to change things where there is only a single instance of them i.e master volume, play and stop.

I don't understand how to deal with TRACK_VOLUME.
do i need to change two parameters?
Can I set up several so that each track has a different corresponding slider on a touchOSC page?

I'm so very baffled by this.
any help would be enormously appreciated, even if you can just point me in the right direction for a relevant thread.

Mike
MikeHukins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Anton9

I know that touchOSC is cool with it's Star Trek like UI and all but.., just thought I'd mention this.., http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=78268

It can be used with any browser and the UI can take on any look you want with a little html/javascript/ajax programming. It was programmed by Justin, creator of our beloved REAPER.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 AM   #10
CDH

Default SORTED!

Thanks for that Anton9, I denfinately hadn't seen that before. If I had any experience with html/javascript/ajax programming it looks as if it would do well!

However I had had some more success with OSC since I last posted. I started from scratch again and got myself a layout I can certainly work with now.

I used seperate pages in TouchOSC to control the seperate plugins within Reaper, each plugin was always on the same FX# on each track in Reaper.

I absolutely could not get the OSC feedback to the device from different plugins on the same page. It looks as if Reaper and TouchOSC must be told which plugin is active for the feedback to work. So the workouround was to setup each plugin (comp,eq,sat etc) on its own page and select it as active, then everything works as it should!

Hope this helps somebody if they are stuck trying to do the same thing...took a lot of time over the last week setting it up but now it works and I'm mixing faster (and I think even better) than ever

Cheers,

CDH