COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
keyman_sam
Human being with feelings

Default Build Tools v141 cannot be found!

I went through the WDL-OL tutorial step-by-step, even installed the massive Visual Studio 2015 to get it working. When I build the solution it shows the following error:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error MSB8020 The build tools for v141 (Platform Toolset = 'v141') cannot be found. To build using the v141 build tools, please install v141 build tools. Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution". lice C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.Cp p.Platform.targets 57

Tried installing build tools as well as retargeting and no dice yet. Any hints? This is way more difficult than I imagined.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
random_id

I believe this error is because Visual Studio is looking for the v141 build tools (Visual Studio 2017), instead of v14 (Visual Studio 2015).

Right-click on 'pluginname-vst2' to get to the property page. Under 'General', you should see the Platform Toolset. Clicking that should show you a drop-down of the installed toolsets you have.

To build a plugin, lice, iplug, and your plugin all have to have the same toolset selected under properties. Just remember that in Visual Studio, you can select different toolsets for 64 and 32-bit builds, as well as release and debug. At the top of the properties, you can select these options.

It is a pain, especially when you are updating to a new version of Visual Studio or using someone's code who uses a different version. After you have it setup, you shouldn't have to touch it again (until the next VS version).
Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_id View Post
I believe this error is because Visual Studio is looking for the v141 build tools (Visual Studio 2017), instead of v14 (Visual Studio 2015).

Right-click on 'pluginname-vst2' to get to the property page. Under 'General', you should see the Platform Toolset. Clicking that should show you a drop-down of the installed toolsets you have.

To build a plugin, lice, iplug, and your plugin all have to have the same toolset selected under properties. Just remember that in Visual Studio, you can select different toolsets for 64 and 32-bit builds, as well as release and debug. At the top of the properties, you can select these options.

It is a pain, especially when you are updating to a new version of Visual Studio or using someone's code who uses a different version. After you have it setup, you shouldn't have to touch it again (until the next VS version).
The properties page shows that I only have v140 installed. Apparently it needs 141. When I open the props file for the project there's no mention of toolset. It only shows <Project ToolsVersion = 4.0> whatever that is.

I tried setting the project tools version to 140 for all the projects, still no luck. Same error. :-/ Really appreciate your help! I'd love to get this working asap so I can actually build the plugin.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
random_id

IF you right-click on the lice and IPlug projects, do they build successfully?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_id View Post
IF you right-click on the lice and IPlug projects, do they build successfully?
Nope. Same error. Also the lice and iplug show "Pending edits" as the status (if that helps).

This is a lot more trouble than it was last time where I built the sdk and my vst. Granted it didn't have multiple targets but atleast getting "AGain" to work was pretty simple. :-/
Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
random_id

Try closing you plugin in Visual Studio and loading the Lice project within the WDL/lice folder. Make sure you change the properties of the project to use the v14 build tools. Then you should be able to build lice.

If you are still getting the same errors regarding the v141 build tools, it means that the properties aren't set right. It is a pain, but Visual Studio (much in the same way XCode does), lets you specify different options for debug and release, as well as 32 bit and 64 bit builds.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
keyman_sam

Lice build works after changing the build/release to x64 instead of x86. How do I get the rest of the project to compile?
Old 04-23-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
random_id

Try doing the same thing with the IPlug porject within the WDL/IPlug folder. Then, try to load your plugin, confirm the settings, and build.