Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default so many plugins

How do you choose which compressor to use? From all the available compressors?

do you test 4-5 and then decide, oh this sounds great?

whats your process

thank you
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
slipstick

Recommendations, read reviews, try a few...then in my case usually go back to ReaComp for most things. But it's relatively easy for me, I'm cheap so I only use free plugins which limits choice quite a bit.

As a general case for most effects I'd suggest using the ones that come with the DAW. Learn how to get the best out of them. Then work out if there's anything you're missing and try a few more to see if you can find any improvements.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
ivansc

I get to test a lot of plugins so I generally have a cull at least once a year.

Depending on how much recording mixing and mastering you are doing, your own experience will soon tell you what works for you.
Admittedly it does help if you have had some experience of what the "real thing" does in order to evaluate what a particular plug is capable of, but again let your ear be the judge.
As time goes by I am seeing more and more plug that dont try to emulate hardware units and as a result end up offering more functionality and flexibility than the hardware version.
BUT, like I said, its all about what works for you.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Judders

The truth is, you won't really know what you need until you have a few years of mixing under your belt. By which time you will probably have wasted a load of money on plugins you'll never use again after you've worked out what suits you
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
jerome_oneil

Pick one and learn to use it well. Reaper's default compressors are very nice and transparent. Use them and train your ears to listen when they are in use.

Once you've done that you will have something to compare against. You might find you like one better. You might find one that colors the sound differently.

Right now you have no point of reference for that, though, and that is what you need.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Fergler

https://theproaudiofiles.com/compression-techniques/

https://theproaudiofiles.com/dynamics-processing/

Two great articles. Entire site is a gold-mine, really. Also, very low amount of high-end plugin sheep-herding going on which is a nice thing.

Then there's this great article helping you understand the difference between the various types of hardware compressor, which have been emulated countless times. After reading the two previous articles, you will see that the emulations are done in order to mimic the shape and tonal characteristics of a hardware compressor, often with emphasis on what occurs when you drive it too hard.

http://quantum-music.ca/wordpress/in...-to-use-which/

In the free world, I really recommend, besides ReaComp, TDR Kotelnikov. It's an extremely powerful compressor with a good UI. Read the manual, though. The Peak/trough thing can be a bit confusing. There is also MCompressor which has an excellent, very visual UI and you can set your own response curve with the Custom Shape tickbox.

For compression in the long term, I use TriLeveler by Stige T which is a 3-stage look-ahead compressor, and Vola 2 which is a "Compander" optomized for voice but with a relatively short look-ahead.

I don't use any 'coloring' compressors as imo, I hear the sound I want in my head and can get there with EQ and harmonic saturation myself. But a lot of people rave about plugin compressors that really 'drive', you can certainly find many both free and paid to tickle your fancy.

About my process, I pick a compressor based on the length of time I'm looking to compress. Short, sound-shaping compression gets ReaComp usually, if it's a simple task. I use Kotelnikov particularly for stereo instruments because it has control over the stereo sensitivity. I also tend to use it for mix bus purposes, I like the way it responds in busy sub-mixes (and again, because it's stereo).

But for smoother tracks like vocals or synth pads or for processing spoken word like spoken word, I may use ReaComp with high RMS and pre-comp but I usually go for TriLeveler first. This includes vocals in any rock or pop mix. I do this first, then I automate the track pre-FX volume and push into the compressor any words which I want to pop out more or need to rescue because they weren't sung loud enough or close enough to the microphone.

Last edited by Fergler; 05-03-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
About my process, I pick a compressor based on the length of time I'm looking to compress.
Same here, as well as some considerations of tone.

@read:

The main thing for me is how I want to shape the waveform by compressing it. I have 3 basic duties:

Adding transient attack

Bringing up low level ambience

smoothing off and slamming down on stray peaks; i.e. general levelling

I've used my plugin compressors so much that I know which ones I want to reach for, and only occasionally end up swapping one out these days. It was a slow process getting to that stage though

Another thing to note is that it's not uncommon to use more than one compressor on a source, partly because a number of stages of gentle compression can sound more transparent than one stage of crushing compression. Also to get different qualities of different compressors on the same source, which is again largely about attack and release characteristics.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:59 AM   #8
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
https://theproaudiofiles.com/compression-techniques/

https://theproaudiofiles.com/dynamics-processing/

Two great articles. Entire site is a gold-mine, really. Also, very low amount of high-end plugin sheep-herding going on which is a nice thing.
Very helpful links indeed , thanks.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #9
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by read View Post
How do you choose which compressor to use? From all the available compressors?

do you test 4-5 and then decide, oh this sounds great?

whats your process

thank you
If you're just starting out,
just jump on a few recommended ones that is free or cheap.
Then learn to use those.
After that, you can look more closely if something should suit you better.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote