Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Default Fighting Fantasy Legends

WIP's of my latest game soundtrack (around 95% finished) are now up on Soundcloud.

Fighting Fantasy Legends from Nomad Games, based on the iconic gamebooks by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, will be released this summer.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Tod

Well done as usual cerendir.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
cerendir

Thanks Tod
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
msundh

Great job indeed!
Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Tod

Hi again Mattias, may I ask which libraries you're using now?

Just wondering if you've had a chance to upgrade your samples?

Not that it matters that much, it sounds great with what ever you're using.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
cerendir

Tod: for this soundtrack it's pretty much the same old stuff that I've used for years, as the music is based on an orchestral template that is now well over six years old (long story, but I reused some old unpublished music and just going with this ageing template was faster and easier). I am, however, working on a new template for future projects which will be done when it's done. It'll feature a lot of the same libraries -- EWQLSO, SONiVOX, Advanced Orchestra, and others -- but less of the truly ancient ones like Roland and Miroslav. Plus that the old template was originally created when I was still on an x86 OS with only 4GB RAM, so I was forced to thin everything out in terms of multisampling, RR's and velocity layers. The new template will have no corners cut like that. But the most modern thing in it aside from some freebies is still EWQLSO. I like my oldies
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
But the most modern thing in it aside from some freebies is still EWQLSO. I like my oldies
Okay thanks Mattias, you tend to do good with what ever you have at hand and my hats off to you.

I used to do quite a bit of orchestra writing back when I was writing and producing music for wild life videos, throughout the 1990s into the earlier 2000s. But I'm totally retired from that now. If you click on "Elk Opening Vid" in my signature, you'll see one of the video scenes I did back in the later 90s.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Fantastic as always!
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I used to do quite a bit of orchestra writing back when I was writing and producing music for wild life videos, throughout the 1990s into the earlier 2000s. But I'm totally retired from that now. If you click on "Elk Opening Vid" in my signature, you'll see one of the video scenes I did back in the later 90s.
Wow, that's some great stuff Tod! What did you use for this? I'm guessing hardware samplers and/or synths with orchestral expansion boards?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
Wow, that's some great stuff Tod! What did you use for this? I'm guessing hardware samplers and/or synths with orchestral expansion boards?
Hi Mattias, and thank you for the kind words.

Right, I had a Kurzweil K2000, Korg M1, Yamaha piano (88 keys), along with some smaller outboard midi modules.

At that time I think I was running digidesign Session 8 for hard disk recording, and Cakewalk for my sequencer.

It was a lot different then, mostly I mixed my midi down in real time as I mixed. It took a lot of Sysex and program changes to make it work, but fortunately I had a programmable JBCooper MSB+ midi mixer that could manage all that.

Getting back to your "Fighting Fantasy Legends", you put a lot of effort into this, with some good writing and imagination. There's a lot of material there, and each one is unique. What did you have to go on, visuals, stories, other videos, or just plain imagination?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #11
cerendir

Quote:
Right, I had a Kurzweil K2000, Korg M1, Yamaha piano (88 keys), along with some smaller outboard midi modules.
The strings in that piece are lovely, I'm fairly sure they're not from the M1 so is this K2000 strings or something from those outboard modules you mention? Stuff like this is intriguing; modern sample libraries have all this crazy detail but sometimes you hear things from the synth hardware era that sounds just spot-on despite being far less advanced in terms of sampling and it makes you wonder what equipment was used.

Quote:
Getting back to your "Fighting Fantasy Legends", you put a lot of effort into this, with some good writing and imagination. There's a lot of material there, and each one is unique. What did you have to go on, visuals, stories, other videos, or just plain imagination?
Well, for the game itself I had virtually nothing to go on to begin with except for a bare handful of screenshots from a very crude alpha version. But I actually played the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks in my youth so I had at least some idea of the game world and the general style and atmosphere. So I just took it from there, trying to capture what I remembered from the books (after all it's been like 30 years).
Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
cerendir

The game is now released!

And the finished soundtrack can be found on Souncloud, complete and free of charge.