Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
frethand101
Human being with feelings

Default A Recreational Curiosity..

About 3 years ago I stumbled across a website that offered a catalogue of free "backing tracks" & there were a lot of these backing tracks that were made using the original studio recordings.. I would love to be able to do this very same "re-mixing" of my favorite songs to jam along with but I'm not quite sure how it's being done.. Some heavy use of EQ maybe!???..

For the sake of expedience I've linked a song title that I'm sure everybody here is at least familiar with..

Example Link: https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/p...jungle_(2).htm
Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
insub

They have really talented studio musicians replay the songs. These types of backing tracks can be quite convincing. Additionally, they can sell the same recordings as Karaoke tracks.

There's actually quite a market for studios and studio musicians who can create convincing replicas of hit recordings. Especially, in the Hip Hop/DJ remixing genres. Top artists and producers/remixers pay top dollar to these recording studios/musicians to replay tracks when the original multi-tracks are unavailable or they can't get the licensing to use the original recordings.

About the only track you can extract with plugins is the lead vocal, but you will probably lose the kick, bass, and snare too. You can use mid/side processing to extract the center channel. That usually pulls out the lead vocal (mostly), and anything else panning directly in the center, and leaves the rest be. Or, on the flip side, removes the sides and leaves only the center channel, primarily, the lead vocal. This is an age-old DJ trick for remixing songs.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #3
frethand101

Yeah I have ran into the versions that have been re-recorded by sessions musicians & there are some that are really good, but you can immediately confirm that these particular BT's are "covers" of the original version.. The songs that I'm curious about are "clearly the original versions" & when compared to the original versions there's zero doubt that they're coming from any other audio source..

I linked another good example that is without a doubt coming from the original recorded version.. I've heard this song literally thousands of times over the years & after a very close comparison I can say without any doubt that it's definitely coming from the original recorded audio.. During the intro, as well as a few other key points of the song, the original guitar parts surface as a guide during the intro & lead guitar parts.. Every instrument is a perfect audio match to both the vinyl & CD versions of this particular song.. https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/p...oting_star.htm

I just can't see how they're doing this outside of having access to the original masters, which would require a lot of "$$$" for the license of each & every song they converted to a BT.. Being that they're openly taking requests & just giving it all away for free it's clearly a rogue service so I can't see them paying for legit licensing.. LOL
Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
DVDdoug

I've heard that some original music was used for Guitar Hero, so possibly some of the "in-mixed" recordings were stolen from the game.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
lowerbout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I've heard that some original music was used for Guitar Hero, so possibly some of the "in-mixed" recordings were stolen from the game.
It definitely was. They used stems from the original recordings usually drums, bass, guitars and/or keys, vocals and/or keys, and effects. But there were also stems that were more detailed for some of the games.

A lot of the stems were floating around the internet 5-10 years ago and there are probably some still out there in deep dark places.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote