Old 05-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Default Good screencapture program with Reaper

Any recommendations for screen-cap programs? Ideally I'd like something light-weight / portable (I try to keep my software 'surface area' as small as possible, so a portable app / no installation is ideal.)

I'd like to make a couple video tutorial on Reaper notation, so it should be able to capture sound from Reaper as well.

Thanks!!
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas

have you tried licecap? http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

oh crap, not sure if this captures sound.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
hopi

I like and have used Faststone Capture for years...

can make just about any kind of screen capture and also video captures with sound...
Old 05-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
oh crap, not sure if this captures sound.
Of course not. It captures screen only and saves it as gif or lcp and both you can edit in Reaper.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
vitalker

There is a free tool for it: https://obsproject.com/
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
lucas_LCS

CamStudio
http://camstudio.org/
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
zookthespook

screencastomatic with Voicemeeter also seem like a good combo.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Outboarder

I Use Flashback ,give it a try:
https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/
Old 05-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #9
Win Conway

The absolute boss is Bandicam on the PC, you can record the audio from Reaper and the audio from your mic as separate audio files, the quality is superb (Check out some of my old Reaper tutorials for that) and it runs nice on fairly lowly hardware.

OSX you can always just use Quicktime Player.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
Ulf3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
There is a free tool for it: https://obsproject.com/
OBS hands down its the defacto standard for screenrecording in 2017 , its the best prog with the best options and performance by far
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
Outboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
OBS hands down its the defacto standard for screenrecording in 2017 , its the best prog with the best options and performance by far
Right , from now on I'm going to use it.
Thanks vitalker
Old 06-07-2017, 05:44 AM   #12
Mr. PC

Ok, thanks everyone.

I've got OBS; it seems I can only use Window Capture and not Game Capture for capturing Reaper, but Window Capture doesn't capture 1080p? Hmmm, anyhow, I'll likely figure it out eventually.

Last edited by Mr. PC; 06-07-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
galaxy_beef

Default OBS Issues

So, if anyone could chime in on this I would be thrilled. OBS Works great for capturing Video. I use a 1440p screen and it can even save the screen caps at 1440. My first problem was getting the audio captured, but after reading the following forum post, I switched to WASAPI.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181949

Using WASAPI, I get a few cracks and pops, but for the most part it works to get sound to OBS. The biggest problem here is that WASAPI causes my input latency to absolutely skyrocket. I'm talking a full second or so of latency. My specs are in my signature, has anybody overcome this issue?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #14
Mr. PC

Strange, audio works perfectly for me out of the box, evening using my DAC's ASIO drivers.

^^I'm assuming you tried every possible output driver? ASIO4ALL? What's your audio interface?

For me, video is working using 'window capture', but it's not capturing full screen. I have to 'drag and stretch' to make it full screen, which makes things a bit blurry (scaling).

Game capture has options for capture resolution, but it seems Window Capture doesn't.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Using WASAPI, I get a few cracks and pops, but for the most part it works to get sound to OBS. The biggest problem here is that WASAPI causes my input latency to absolutely skyrocket. I'm talking a full second or so of latency. My specs are in my signature, has anybody overcome this issue?
^No- delay is always seemingly going to happen using current systems..
I'm not liking how windows10 is in control of the stream before it hits the interface used here..slight annoyance about that being different from xp..

Quote:
For me, video is working using 'window capture', but it's not capturing full screen. I have to 'drag and stretch' to make it full screen, which makes things a bit blurry (scaling).

Game capture has options for capture resolution, but it seems Window Capture doesn't.
Try display capture->you can choose multiple monitors if in use,and stitch scenes etc etc.
Multiple monitors can be overlayed/reapositioned at any 1 time,on the fly.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #16
artao

Another huge vote for OBS.
Regarding it not recording audio ....
I'm assuming you're using ASIO4ALL then. The issue there is that ASIO4ALL completely takes over your soundcard. NOTHING else can use the sound while an app using ASIO4ALL is running. If you opened a browser and tried to play something with audio, you won't hear it.
WASAPI is inherently higher latency, which is why ASIO drivers exist. You can increase the buffer size to reduce the pops and crackles, but then you'll get higher latency.
Getting an audio interface with its own ASIO drivers is the only solution to this that I'm aware of. I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and its drivers are rock solid and VERY low latency, on the order of 3ms or so. And yes, I can simultaneously record audio in OBS while running Reaper, using Focusrite's ASIO driver.
Good luck!
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
Hellpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by artao View Post
Another huge vote for OBS.
Regarding it not recording audio ....
I'm assuming you're using ASIO4ALL then. The issue there is that ASIO4ALL completely takes over your soundcard. NOTHING else can use the sound while an app using ASIO4ALL is running. If you opened a browser and tried to play something with audio, you won't hear it.
WASAPI is inherently higher latency, which is why ASIO drivers exist. You can increase the buffer size to reduce the pops and crackles, but then you'll get higher latency.
Getting an audio interface with its own ASIO drivers is the only solution to this that I'm aware of. I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and its drivers are rock solid and VERY low latency, on the order of 3ms or so. And yes, I can simultaneously record audio in OBS while running Reaper, using Focusrite's ASIO driver.
Good luck!
Can I be so bold as to ask you to share your settings? I have just recently tried using OBS for capturing the screen in Reaper but I run into two problems:

1 The playback in Reaper sounds horrible w snaps and crackles while recording
2 No sound recorded

No 1 is worst as I could add in sound from another source but of course it would be nice if sound rec worked... tried some different setups but no luck! 🤔
Hellpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
artao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellpig View Post
Can I be so bold as to ask you to share your settings? I have just recently tried using OBS for capturing the screen in Reaper but I run into two problems:

1 The playback in Reaper sounds horrible w snaps and crackles while recording
2 No sound recorded

No 1 is worst as I could add in sound from another source but of course it would be nice if sound rec worked... tried some different setups but no luck! 🤔
First let me say that I was mistaken regarding recording audio in OBS using the Focusrite ASIO drivers. Doesn't work. OBS looks for sound coming through the computer's audio system, but when using Focusrite's ASIO drivers, Reaper talks directly to the soundcard, and as such no audio goes through the system such that OBS can hear it.
So I switch to WASAPI when I need to do that. The snaps and crackles are because your buffer size is too small. You need to increase that to get rid of those. IIRC I have mine set to around 128 or more when using WASAPI. Definitely increses the latency to a noticeable level, but not untenable.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #19
DuraMorte

Okay, maybe some of you experts can help me.
I want to do the following:
1) Capture/stream webcam video, and
2) Use Reaper to supply audio (which is being provided by a ReaStream from a second computer), to the video capture software.

I'm trying to use OBS, but it doesn't seem to be able to do this.
I have ASIO4All, Jack, and ReaRoute.

If that isn't enough info, here are more specifics:

My studio computer doesn't go online. Period.

I want to use my laptop's webcam to capture video, and merge that video with the audio from my studio computer. My studio computer is connected to my laptop with an Ethernet cable, on a separate, fixed IP with a different subnet, so that the studio computer can only talk to the laptop, and vice versa.

I am using ReaStream to pass a near-realtime audio stream from Reaper on my studio PC to Reaper on my laptop (flawless), but I can't seem to get OBS to detect any other input than the hardware one on the laptop.

Does OBS have this capability in the first place?
If not, what software does?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
artao

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraMorte View Post
Okay, maybe some of you experts can help me.
I want to do the following:
1) Capture/stream webcam video, and
2) Use Reaper to supply audio (which is being provided by a ReaStream from a second computer), to the video capture software.

I'm trying to use OBS, but it doesn't seem to be able to do this.
I have ASIO4All, Jack, and ReaRoute.

If that isn't enough info, here are more specifics:

My studio computer doesn't go online. Period.

I want to use my laptop's webcam to capture video, and merge that video with the audio from my studio computer. My studio computer is connected to my laptop with an Ethernet cable, on a separate, fixed IP with a different subnet, so that the studio computer can only talk to the laptop, and vice versa.

I am using ReaStream to pass a near-realtime audio stream from Reaper on my studio PC to Reaper on my laptop (flawless), but I can't seem to get OBS to detect any other input than the hardware one on the laptop.

Does OBS have this capability in the first place?
If not, what software does?
Wow. That sounds like a pretty complicated usage case. :O
I would go to the OBS forums to ask about that level of stuff. I bet it's possible, but I sure wouldn't know how LOL.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
DuraMorte

Quote:
Wow. That sounds like a pretty complicated usage case. :O
I would go to the OBS forums to ask about that level of stuff. I bet it's possible, but I sure wouldn't know how LOL.
It seems complicated, but it's actually pretty simple: I need the video capture software to accept a virtual audio input (WASAPI, Jack, doesn't matter).
That's pretty much it.
Thanks for the input; if no one here has any ideas, I may try their forum.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #22
Hellpig

Quote:
First let me say that I was mistaken regarding recording audio in OBS using the Focusrite ASIO drivers. Doesn't work. OBS looks for sound coming through the computer's audio system, but when using Focusrite's ASIO drivers, Reaper talks directly to the soundcard, and as such no audio goes through the system such that OBS can hear it.
So I switch to WASAPI when I need to do that. The snaps and crackles are because your buffer size is too small. You need to increase that to get rid of those. IIRC I have mine set to around 128 or more when using WASAPI. Definitely increses the latency to a noticeable level, but not untenable.
Hope that helps.
Yes, absolutely,thanks for your reply!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
I've been using Mirillis' Action! with Voicemeeter Banana. I'll have to check out OBS.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
Hellpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellpig View Post
Yes, absolutely,thanks for your reply!
By the way, I have tried Flashback Player Pro as well and sent this question to their support and this is their reply:

"At the moment FlashBack does not support capturing of audio from ASIO devices like the Focusrite Saffire 6i6.

However, we are currently working on adding support for these. We don't have a date when we expect this support to be ready but hopefully it should be soon."

So I will keep my eye open on that software and figured this might be of interest for you guys as well.