Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #81
vitalker
Human being with feelings

I have 32-bit Reaper on my Windows 7 x64. I wanna to try it.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #82
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I have 32-bit Reaper on my Windows 7 x64. I wanna to try it.
I will post a 32 bit build too of the next version, then.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #83
Xenakios

I've still been working on the plugin. Preview volume has been added. (Also taking the volume from the item's track but making that optional needs some kind of GUI, I think...I would myself usually prefer to set the preview volume separately in the plugin.) Some other stuff might appear too...Hopefully a new build during this weekend.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #84
musicbynumbers

awesome! waiting patiently!

I like the idea of a volume control in the interface it's self (if that's what you mean.) If it gets it's initial setting from the track + the item gain then even better as in a lot of post production we often are working at low overall levels with a lot of headroom and as long as the don't play at full volume then all good!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #85
Xenakios

This might make an appearance in the next build or not...It's really not as awesome as it might seem at first sight...The bender plugin is still a modal dialog, so if you don't have that other window already open, you won't be able to open it while the pitch bender plugin is showing. The thing shown in the video would also need new GUI elements to allow doing it optionally...And adding new GUI elements is such a pain with the way I have to do this plugin now...So, I won't promise this makes it in.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #86
musicbynumbers

Looks pretty cool! if it could access parameters and you could create envelopes for them it would be amazing lol joking! although that would be really cool I know it would be a nightmare to do so no worries plus we have hourglass for this kind of good stuff!

One thing I would love (and a few people have always asked for that I know) would be an additional action called something like "apply last pitchbend settings to all selected items" which would allow us to do stuff like tape stops over all the items at once etc.

I know there are some corner cases for this like what if the items have different lengths etc but I guess (and hope) that since pitch bend opens with last settings that it adapts to length anyway and could be called up, called to render and then move to the next item? Most of the time people would only use this for items of the same length anyway but on different tracks so you could effect everything the same way.

No worries if not but this would be awesome indeed!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #87
Viente

I didn't realize it would take so far when i started this thread.

Hats off!
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #88
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Looks pretty cool! if it could access parameters and you could create envelopes for them it would be amazing
The bender plugin itself isn't hosting the VST plugins (so it can't really automate them etc), it's using the Reaper extension API to play back preview audio through the signal chain of existing tracks in the project. So it's kind of limited (the VST plugin processing can't be "burned" into the final offline rendering etc), but could still be useful to get a feel how the bender processing interacts with the existing processings on the tracks. Unfortunately I bumped into some (crashing ) problems now trying to further implement this...Will have to see how it goes...

edit : I think I solved the crashing issue...
Old 04-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #89
musicbynumbers

yep. on second watch I should have thought about the fact the vst window is the standard reaper one doh!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #90
Xenakios

Demoing some more stuffs...

-Preview can play either dry, through the item's source track, or through any other track in the project
-Envelope transformations mode added. By dragging inside the rectangles, the envelope is transformed. (The rotation is a weird one, but I like it... )
-Although not very well visible on the screen capture, preliminary support for snapping the envelope point values to a grid
-I didn't forget to dezipper the preview volume fader

Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #91
Viente

Damn! Can't wait!
Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 AM   #92
musicbynumbers

Excellent!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #93
musicbynumbers

one thing for the "future" of this excellent tool I would love to see (and would pay for along with my fellow sound designers) would be adding a version of this for proper crossfade looping. where you can take either/or the bit just before the loop (or the bit after) and crossfade this into the end of the loop for a smooth loop. (if that makes sense!) I think you know what mean though!

I know this is a totally different (and difficult) task and currently I bodge this with a custom action that kind of works but it would be amazing to get this in a tool like this for making engine loops, ambience loops or tone loops they are indispensable and awesome!

as a long term thing of course!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 04-26-2014 at 06:31 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #94
ValeryOrloff

Default HourGlass?

Is it VST version of HourGlass?
Where i can download last version and try it?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #95
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeryOrloff View Post
Is it VST version of HourGlass?
Where i can download last version and try it?
This plugin (not VST, by the way, it's a Reaper extension plugin) is a different thing from HourGlass, not nearly as rich in possibilities. (The plugin version of HourGlass just doesn't seem to be happening...The complexities involved are just too great...)

This plugin uses the available resampler and time stretch/pitch shift engines of Reaper and allows controlling them with envelopes. It doesn't really do anything you couldn't do in Reaper already, but allows doing those things maybe a bit easier and to get an offline rendered result as a new file out of it. (For example, you can already do automated varispeeding/resampling in Reaper, but only for the whole project, not for individual media items. Another thing is that using the formant shifting of the Elastique pitch engine with an automation envelope is only possible by putting Reapitch on a track and automating it with the track envelopes, as the Reaper items/takes don't have a formant shift envelope.)

edit : link to old build removed

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-26-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #96
Xenakios

Quote:
one thing for the "future" of this excellent tool I would love to see (and would pay for along with my fellow sound designers) would be adding a version of this for proper crossfade looping
Properly working crossfaded looping tends to always be a massive hassle to add to these things, but I might look into it at some point. (Especially if I add secondary processing modes where the envelopes control when the changes to the parameters happen at output time, as opposed to input time, like it currently works. Then the source files would really need to be played in a looped fashion and that's often quite useless without a working crossfade at the loop point...)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #97
Xenakios

New (pre8) builds, now also for 32 bit Windows/Reaper :

edit : links to old builds removed

Changes :

-Preview can be listened dry, via the item's current track or via any other track in the project. The latter are useful to hear how the pitch bender processing sounds on the tracks with the effects and other processing on the tracks. (The preview through the tracks appears to have occasional glitches if the anticipative fx processing on the track is turned on, I'll investigate if it's possible to improve that...)

-Preview volume control added (has linear gain scaling, I'll change it to use decibels later)

-Resampler mode now internally uses an independent smallish processing block size, to allow faster changes in the play rate and to produce a consistent result between the realtime preview and the offline render. (The pitch shifter mode has done that previously already.)

-Envelope shaping mode added. Right click on the envelope editing area to turn it on. (Another right click brings back the normal envelope editing mode.) Drag the mouse up and down inside the rectangles to shape the envelope points. (The N/A "not available" rectangles are not a bug, just missing functionality for now.) edit : Be very careful with the Repeat transformation in this build, it can easily generate even millions of envelope points at which point Reaper will surely hang.

-Pitch shifter mode processes files with a smallish tail (0.15 seconds), which works better for the elastique modes but not so well for the other modes. Hopefully I can get Justin to explain me how the needed tail amount can be properly determined.

-Preliminary snapping for the envelope points at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of the envelope Y axis. (I'll improve it later and add visual grid lines too...)

-Playcursor is now drawn directly by the plugin instead of relying on the rather 1990's hack of using a win32 control that is moved over the envelope control. (The win32 control didn't work that well anyway to optimize anything and looked rather ugly and seemed to be causing problems with mouse input...)

Already known issues :

-Previous settings will be cleared on first run of this new build. Sorry, the settings format changed enough to make parsing the old settings file a bit annoying to try
-Dirac LE mode is not available in 32 bit build, even though Reaper 32 bit would have the algorithm available. The reason I don't allow it in this plugin is that it can't be properly automated. (Due to an intentional limitation in the Dirac LE library.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #98
Viente

Thanks so much! Its better and better with every build!

One request. Is it possible to make menu for preview track a bit wider (since we still have a lot of free space there), so the longer track names could be visible.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #99
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Properly working crossfaded looping tends to always be a massive hassle to add to these things, but I might look into it at some point. (Especially if I add secondary processing modes where the envelopes control when the changes to the parameters happen at output time, as opposed to input time, like it currently works. Then the source files would really need to be played in a looped fashion and that's often quite useless without a working crossfade at the loop point...)
sounds potentially awesome! :
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #100
musicbynumbers

Tested pre 8 and so far so good!

Loving the crazy envelope processing, very creative stuff!

As for the glitching/stuck buffer sound on loops that have empty space in them or the none resampling with items not at a rate of 1. could it work if you got reaper to "render item as new take" first (so you're editing a "real" sample) and then when you press render in pitch bend tool, reaper would render over this same take destructively?

I'm not a programmer (obviously) but seems it would than allow you to work with samples that also have fx on the item too.

If someone cancels pitch bend without render though you would have to be able to delete the new rendered take.

just a crazy idea. probably stupid! lol
Old 04-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #101
Xenakios

Quote:
As for the glitching/stuck buffer sound on loops that have empty space in them or the none resampling with items not at a rate of 1. could it work if you got reaper to "render item as new take" first (so you're editing a "real" sample)
I will look into those issues at some point...I'd rather not use any complicated hacks involving running even more actions before and after the bender processing, but if doing it that way seems to be the most viable method, I'll do something like that then...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #102
vitalker

I have tried the plugin and WOW! It's very cool! Just one minus: can you add deleting points by right click.
P.S. The second minus is that when you try to change any of right-click parameter it returns to default position. It's showed in the video:
Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #103
Xenakios

Quote:
I have tried the plugin and WOW! It's very cool! Just one minus: can you add deleting points by right click.
P.S. The second minus is that when you try to change any of right-click parameter it returns to default position. It's showed in the video:
I think only the Repeat transformation is problematic like that? Or do you think the other transformations behave wrongly also? I knew the Repeat wasn't working optimally when I posted the new build, but I let it be there anyway in case it would do something useful for someone anyway... It's probably quite tricky to make that work as people would likely expect it to work...But I'll try to improve it.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #104
vitalker

Quote:
But I'll try to improve it.
Thank you, Xenakios! Yes, it's only Repeat transformation.
P.S. Just one moment before Reaper hanged up because of the plugin.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #105
Xenakios

Quote:
Thank you, Xenakios! Yes, it's only Repeat transformation.
P.S. Just one moment before Reaper hanged up because of the plugin.
You mean Reaper hanged because of the Repeat transformation or because of some other thing?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #106
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I will look into those issues at some point...I'd rather not use any complicated hacks involving running even more actions before and after the bender processing, but if doing it that way seems to be the most viable method, I'll do something like that then...
all good
Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #107
vitalker

Quote:
You mean Reaper hanged because of the Repeat transformation or because of some other thing?
Yes, I think of it.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #108
Xenakios

Quote:
Yes, I think of it.
Ok, I got Reaper to hang too. But since I was able to use the debugger and see what was going on, I noticed that the Repeat transformation had created over 2 million envelope points which is impossible to handle...So the Repeat transformation is definitely dangerous/buggy to use in the pre8 build.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #109
moljen

Default Thanks

This is great... just installed it and it works great. Just the thing I needed today on my birthday :-)
moljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #110
musicbynumbers

happy birthday! :}
Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #111
moljen

Default Just donate

Thanks Xenakios, just donated on your hourglass blog

Thanks musicbynumbers
moljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #112
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by moljen View Post
Thanks Xenakios, just donated on your hourglass blog
Thanks, and happy birthday from me too...

(The Repeat transform bug in the new build is terrible though...I will post a new build with some fixes within the next 24 hours...)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #113
Xenakios

New pre 9 build :

Windows 7/8 64 bit :

http://ge.tt/9P8V9Me1/v/0?c

Windows 7/8 32 bit :

http://ge.tt/2HV59Me1/v/0?c

Changes :

-Fixes/enhances the Repeat envelope transformation. It uses a copy of the current envelope points taken when :

A) There are no points yet in the buffer
or
B) The Repeat tile has been Shift+clicked (this allows to make repeats of repeats of the points but no more than 5000 points in total are allowed. If someone really thinks they need more, I suppose I can up to the limit...)

-The dropdown list of the available tracks for the real time preview was made a bit wider.

-Envelope time and value are shown in the info texts when moving over to them with the mouse (not only when dragging the points)
Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #114
vitalker

So, now it works pretty well. It will be cool to have a bypass button(or wet/dry slider) and, for example, pause and navigation through the item. And certainly deleting the points.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #115
Xenakios

Quote:
So, now it works pretty well. It will be cool to have a bypass button(or wet/dry slider) and, for example, pause and navigation through the item. And certainly deleting the points.
I am not sure if you've noticed Ctrl+clicking on a point allows deleting it...(This of course isn't so fast if you want to delete many points, but not all of them at once...)

I am not sure how much sense a wet/dry or bypass control would make, considering the playback rate of the audio may also be changed, so the dry sound would no longer be in sync with the processed sound...Can you come up with a plausible use case to have bypass or wet/dry mix?

Seeking into the middle of the sound as well as zooming/scrolling will certainly be implemented at some point.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #116
Xenakios

The bravest of souls may want to try using the plugin on PiP items I am not currently preventing the plugin from doing that. My own preliminary tests indicate it might even work to some degree...(The reason I disallow "section looped takes" is that the peaks display in the plugin would need additional work, since at least the last time I tried that (back in 2009), the peaks didn't come out looking right. Why the plugin doesn't allow opening MIDI takes should be obvious.)
Old 04-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #117
Viente

Quote:
The bravest of souls may want to try using the plugin on PiP items I am not currently preventing the plugin from doing that. My own preliminary tests indicate it might even work to some degree...(The reason I disallow "section looped takes" is that the peaks display in the plugin would need additional work, since at least the last time I tried that (back in 2009), the peaks didn't come out looking right. Why the plugin doesn't allow opening MIDI takes should be obvious.)
Wow! Its working! lol this is going ot be pure madness
Old 04-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #118
vitalker

Quote:
Ctrl+clicking

bypass or wet/dry mix?

Seeking into the middle of the sound as well as zooming/scrolling will certainly be implemented at some point.
Sorry, didn't notice.

I say not only about the playback rate, but also about pitch and formant. Yes, maybe dry/wet isn't needed, but bypass should exist for comparing original sound with morphed.

Can't wait!

And how about the pause button?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #119
musicbynumbers

tested and seems to be working awesomely on the changes stated love it!

One thing I noticed was that the last "highlighted" button was the render button. Is it possible to always have the highlighted button be the preview button so that as soon as the pitch bend is open I can use space bar to audition it?

If that makes sense?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #120
Xenakios

Quote:
Is it possible to always have the highlighted button be the preview button so that as soon as the pitch bend is open I can use space bar to audition it?

If that makes sense?
Sure, a simple wish. Not completely trivial to implement, however...If you'd see the stuff I have to use for making the GUI for this plugin...But I will try to change it to work that way.