Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default Automation FX question

I enjoyed Rocket's video on automoation and have Nicholas' reamix as well but one thing I can't find is simply how to turn an effect, let's say Chorus, on/off. I see there is wet and dry mix controls that can be accessed via the fader for automation and if that is the case, does some sort of cross fade between wet and dry need to be done? I tried this but I don't understand how the single fader can follow both during playback. I see there is a bypass control that can also be automated, is that the secret? How is this done?
Thanks!
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
bardo

Not sure about the by-pass but what I do is have the effect with the dry 100% off and use the wet Auto to add effects.(The dry signal comes thru the parent or home track)
I'm sure I botched this up.
Anyone have a better way????

Bardo
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I see there is a bypass control that can also be automated, is that the secret?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
How is this done?
Thanks!
Pretty much like the other envelopes, click on the checkbox to arm it on the automation page. Now you can see the envelope on the track your effect is sitting on. 2 things should be mentioned:

1. You have to assign a controller to record bypass automation or you have to draw the envelope by hand. It will not record the (shift-click) bypass on the insert slot itself. Creating a few envelope points to automate bypass is easy though.

2. The logic may appear a bit weird: If the envelope is up, bypass is "on" and so the effect is "off".

In phase 1 the effect is on (envelope down), in phase 2 the effect is off (bypass is on).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Lucian

Awesome! Thanks Steindork! This changes alot for me..for the better.

Something else, more just for info tho. I see pan can be automated and has it's own dedicated control. Everything else seems to be automated off the volume fader. Can more than one thing be automated off the fader? I could see it if the envelopes are written manually but am curious on playback, which envelope would the fader follow or is that settable as well? I would think you manually write everything but when you set all the envelopes to read on playback ... does the fader just not move at all?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Ollie

Not sure if I understood your questions well but...

... you can't control anything but channel volume from the volume fader and it will follow only the volume envelope. So all controls are "hardwired" to their corresponding envelope. Not so bad since every knob/fader/doohickey has its own envelope.

As to the other question, to see the automation reflected in fader /knob movements, you have to set the automation at least into read mode (they don't move in trim/read mode).

BTW, you'll find a cool automation tutorial video in this thread:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191936

Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Lucian

hmm Yes, I saw that video ... perhaps I need to rewatch it again hehe. Thanks for the quick response!

edit: Wow! I see, when the automation window is opened after an fx is added to the channel, all the fx controls show up in the automation window! This is really...reaSpectacular!

Last edited by Lucian; 06-05-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
DazGsy

Thanks Steindork, your explanation of automating Effect Bypass really helped me out.
DazGsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Ollie

Cool! You're welcome!