Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
grnt
Human being with feelings

Default Windows VSTs on OS X Bullshit-free

Just a quick heads-up for anyone who might care about getting some Windows-only VSTs to work on OS X (like excellent Variety of Sound plugins, or GSuite).

Recent version of WINE (1.7.25 to be precise) has vastly improved WASAPI support which interfaces with CoreAudio directly, which in turn means no need for WineASIO, JACK, CoreASIO or any other royal pain.

Grab it from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org, mount the downloaded package but don't install WINE Bottler: you don't need it. Drag Wine.app to /Applications, then open Terminal.app: we are going to do everything manually.

Create your personal directory for WINE prefixes:

Quote:
mkdir ~/.local
mkdir ~/.local/wine
cd ~/.local/wine
nano reaper.sh
Paste the following into the editor using mouse context menu (Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V won't work in the terminal):

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

export WINEDIR=/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources
export WINE=$WINEDIR/bin/wine

export PATH=$WINEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$WINEDIR/lib
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$WINEDIR/lib
export FONTCONFIG_FILE=$WINEDIR/etc/fonts/fonts.conf

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/wine/reaper
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEDEBUG=-all
This script will set up necessary environment variables for WINE in order to run Windows REAPER.

Ctrl+O, Enter, Ctrl+X.

Quote:
chmod 755 reaper.sh
source reaper.sh
winecfg
Make it executable and actually load it. Running winecfg will create clean REAPER WINE prefix ready for Windows REAPER installation. You may probably want to disable desktop integration in order to avoid conflicts with OS X REAPER. To do so open "Desktop Integration" tab and unlink all folders.

Download the 32-bit Windows REAPER installer and run it. You must run it while still being in the same terminal where you executed "source reaper.sh" and "winecfg" commands. Do not do it from another terminal window.

Quote:
wine "<path-to-downloaded-REAPER-installer.exe>"
You can just type wine "", move your cursor in between quotes and drag installer file from Finder, in case if you didn't know.

Install Windows REAPER, copy your license key to ~/.local/wine/reaper/drive_c/<path-to-installed-REAPER>:

Quote:
cp "<path-to-your-REAPER-license-key>" "reaper/drive_c/<path-to-installed-REAPER>/reaper-license.rk"
Run it finally:

Quote:
cd "reaper/drive_c/<path-to-installed-REAPER>"
wine reaper.exe
Go to preferences, choose WASAPI Exclusive in audio device section, select your your audio interface for Input/Output, 24-bit sample format, 48000 Hz samplerate, 128 block size.

You should get around 2ms latency this way.

That's it, both input and output should just work. Just tested it myself with GSuite and ThrillseekerLA on it and got no problems at all, latency was minimal.

P.s. You can probably connect OS X REAPER and WINE REAPER using Soundflower and some REAPER routing but I didn't try it myself yet.

P.p.s. To run it easily from now on you can do:

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

source "$HOME/.local/wine/reaper.sh"
cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/<path-to-REAPER>"
wine reaper.exe
Name it "REAPER", make it executable and put it on your desktop or somewhere else.

Hope that helps someone.
grnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
joelsampson

Very cool. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Nixon

Anyone else tested this? I checked it using soundflower and reainsert in the host application. Got a signal but had some dropouts and crackles. My wine reaper installation wasn't manually and most probably shit, besides it's a very old laptop too. I have to invest some time to understand the whole wine thing with OSX and soundflower routing. But I won't rest until I get that Density comp working....
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
jerome_oneil

That's pretty dang useful. Still looks like a massive PITA, but I guess if there is a Windows VST I absolutely gotta have, it would be worth the trouble.

I haven't found that VST yet, but it's good to know it can work.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote