Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
novaburst
Human being with feelings

Default Ozone 6 in action

Here is a little taste of ozone 6 in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKo_ZNcT68
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
The Telenator
Banned

Cf. any of the several now ongoing threads about the release of 6. I won't repeat all or even much, but as an owner of Ozone 5 Advanced, I certainly won't be upgrading to any 6.

It actually IS a downgrade. Things were left off and left out in the new 6. Even the regular 5-to-6 (non-Advanced) 'upgrade' is lacking. Read the fine print.

Really a sad thing, and I simply cannot understand.

Well, a few think that the GUI change to the more drab (modern?) chocolate gray skin is an improvement. Some didn't like the greenish nature of 5. But green is just fine with me.

The biggest real improvement 5 needed was that the quality of some of the reverbs was not quite up to par, considering that these plugins are touted/intended for mastering work. Since Ozone 4 and 5 there have been more than a couple new convo and other reverbs released that are indeed superior to some of what 5 can do. Ah, progress. I haven't discovered whether the verbs were improved because I won't be going for the new 6. Perhaps someone here can offer an opinion of the reverbs in 6?

If you look around, you might be better off if you can get your hands on any used or resale Ozone 5 (if that's a possibility ... don't recall their policy on reselling). Cheers!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
shodan5000

I don't think there is a reverb module in ozone 6. They got rid of it.
shodan5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
ronmac

I just purchased Ozone 5 and will be upgrading to 6 for free, as part of Izotope's latest promotion. Having RX4 advanced, I didn't,t feel the need to go with the advanced version of Ozone.

Ozone 6, in standalone mode, allows the use of external plugins. This is very attractive to me in that I can add some familiar tools, including reverb, into the chain. I was attracted to Ozone by the streamlined workflow, not by the quality of the individual plugins (I already own some of the best out there by UAD, Brainworks, etc.).

Recently I have been spending more time researching ways to facilitate a more efficient workflow. I have spent too much time in the past trying to find the perfect plug, when several are up to the task, and concentrating on finding ones that play nice together and don't detract from making the final product musically pleasing. Having a dedicate module for "mastering" allows me to easily slip into that mode, physically and mentally, when called upon.
ronmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
emmrecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodan5000 View Post
Indeed they have (not good!) But if you already have Ozone 5 and it's still installed (perhaps only the Advanced version?) all its modules are available as plug-ins in 6.

I have 5 Advanced (it's become, for me, almost a "staple go-to") and I'm running the demo of 6 Advanced (quite liking, especially the Dynamic Eq module). Am quite likely to purchase, at the Upgrade price, obviously!

@The Telenator, when I checked the website some days ago there definitely was a special upgrade price for those already owning any earlier version of Ozone; you may have to log in to your account to see your "personal coupon", as they now call them!
emmrecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodan5000 View Post
That's right. They did. Maybe the strangest news in all of this. It did need some improving. It wasn't horrible, though, at least not to my ears and liking. I still use it in much the same way as mild compression can 'glue' the mix together. Maybe they just could not bring it up to state of the art, so they removed it instead?

It should be noted for the prospective customer that the Dynamic EQ is ONLY available on the much more expensive Advanced and not on the regular Ozone 6.

Yes, I checked into upgrading, mindful that both 5 and 6 can be installed and used side by side. Adding 6 is still an expensive idea. From all the details and complaints I've read at Slutz and KVR about this odd fiasco, I'm sitting this one out.

Also odd that iZotope has been entirely silent in the forums during this release. They were chatting and talking their heads off for 5. There is some sort of write-in WTF compaign going on now to get answers and some kind of explanation.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Barksy

i didn't realise that. I can upgrade for free, so does 5 still remain and 6 is a separate plug? But with that, you can use elements of 5 in Ozone 6 as plugins?
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Hmmm... I haven't watched the video yet but as an O5 Adv owner, I got the emails about O6 and have been awaiting the full release details.

I've been using Ozone now since version four and it is one of my most used tools so naturally I'm quite curious about these negatives on O6. I've been seriously contemplating the upgrade and am interested in the dynamic EQ but if there are negatives to 'upgrading', perhaps it isn't worth the $300 (O5 Adv to O6 Adv). Hmmm...
Old 11-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
emmrecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksy View Post
i didn't realise that. I can upgrade for free, so does 5 still remain and 6 is a separate plug? But with that, you can use elements of 5 in Ozone 6 as plugins?
Yes, all the modules of 5 also appear in the plug-ins list for 6 standalone, along with any other VSTs you have installed.

(I have 5 Advanced and am trialling the demo of 6 Advanced. I assume the "standard" version behaves the same. I do seem to remember that the separate modules of 5 could only be accessed individually in Advanced version so you need to check this.)
emmrecs is offline   Reply With Quote