Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default Who is still on XP and what are your plans?

Another thread working out how to run win7 installers on XP made me wonder how many of us are still on XP and why. MY main reason is I have a Delta-66 sound card and M-audio drivers in the past have been troublesome. I know there are new Win7 drivers and I will upgrade eventually but right now on a Q6600 quad core with 4 gig RAM I can run at 2.4 ms latency. Also, there are some free VSTIs like EastWest Free that are XP only. And then the list of other instruments to reinstall is big. I went through this once after installing a new Mobo. So I am not looking forward to it.

So, who else is on XP and what are your plans? I may just stay.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
nofish

Me.

And funny, I have a quite similar setup like yours.
Intel quad with Delta Audiophile 24/96.

I run the Dux XP nlited version (link somewhere in the forum) and it also runs super-smooth for me.

But I also realize there are more and more installers that don't support XP anymore, so I'm thinking about upgrading to 7 or 8 at some point (but not now yet).

PS:
Dux, if you read this, pretty please make a Dux Win 7 or 8.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
msore

I tried really hard. But applications and utilities and harassment from the Microsoft cabal finally got their way, and I am on Windows 7 now.

I would love it if some kind of imaginary free market could give me more alternatives. But alas.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
KevinW

I just went from xp to 8 two weeks ago. So far, so good, but I have drivers for my interface (maudio c600).
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Bob Headroom

Still on XP here and no plans to change for me. I too have a similar set up; Q6600 and 4gb ram. EMU 1820m interface.

Unless something forces my hand, I think the only thing that would make me change would be a need for more than 4gb.

Oh, and a thumbs up from me to to the might DuX and his great lite installer.
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Swamp Ape

I was on XP until my machine croaked a couple of months ago, and probably still would be. Reaper purrs like a kitten in Windows 8, but lots of other aspects are a pain in the ass and clearly unfinished.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Jeffsounds

I'm still on XP and plan to stay until something forces me to upgrade, i.e., computer dies, etc. I've been running an M-Audio 2496 for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. Reaper runs great here with very low latency so I see no reason to change it.

What is this "DuX and his great lite installer?"
Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
seagull

ASUS A8V motherboard
Opteron 165 1.8 GHz dual core cpu
Corsair XMS 2GB memory
Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB video card
WD 40GB 8MB cache hard drive (partitioned off my main drive)
WD 80GB 8MB cache hard drive (music)
WD 250GB 8MB cache hard drive (samples)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 ATX case
Seasonic S12-430W power supply
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED cpu cooler
Nexus 120mm case fan
SIIG firewire card
Digidesign 002r

I'm still using this set up from when I was running Pro Tools in 2006. I don't do any big sessions so it's fine for me and I haven't run into anything that doesn't use XP that I wanted. I'll have to upgrade at some point but this computer has been running strong for over 6 years and I've got no complaints. I do get the itch every once in a while to start from scratch and build my own again, but right now I've got more important things to spend my money on.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Lucian

Dux's XP alchemy:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30162

Also, here is an easy way to get Win7 installers to run on XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=20028

I just used this to install Kontakt 5
Right click on Image Name in the left panel, choose Add Application.

The dialog opens in the Sys32 Directory but ignore it and just paste/type in the full name of the installer. In my case, Kontakt 5 Setup PC.exe which will run off DVD.

Select the installer on the left and in the right pane, deselect Basics, expand Compatibility and check HighVersionLie.
Then click Save and run your installer.

This also worked for installing the NI Compressor Freebie SuperCharger available till the end of the year.

I was thinking perhaps we can build a list of things to see what works on Win7?
Here is what I wonder runs on Win7:

Yellow Tools Independance Free
East West Free - This won't install natively but maybe Virtual XP mode will work for the installer?
Harrison Mixbus
Creative Professional Proteux VX Free

Last edited by Lucian; 12-21-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
So, who else is on XP and what are your plans? I may just stay.[/IMG]
Mee too. Very simple reason:
'Never change the running system' and why should I buy a new laptop - though it is seven years + old - as long as it is doing the job when on the move. (I do have a Win7 desktop for the studio) And there is nothing to complain for my needs.
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
MIAmbition

I'm on XP for audio. The memory limits are starting to get annoying, mainly because I never know when it's going to barf (it barfs well below 3 Gig, don't know why). I just purchased Windows 7 64-bit (I have a firewire interface, N12) before they quit selling it. You may want to consider doing this if you have a firewire interface you wish to keep using (assuming that there are solid drivers for your interface under Windows 7). I've read that Windows 8 firewire support is not as good as 7.

I use BootItNG (now called BootIt Bare Metal) for boot management, partition management, and partition backup. I like using it on a new computer, where it's the first software installed on the hard drive. It's pretty nerdy software, so use with care, and read the instructions carefully before using...

I intend to install Windows 7 on a new partition, keeping my old XP installation.

For everything except audio production, I use Ubuntu 64-bit with Gnome.

And thanks to Dux. XP has been running like a champ for years.
MIAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
Unless something forces my hand, I think the only thing that would make me change would be a need for more than 4gb.

Well SD2 will soon change that

>
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Stu

I'm on XP still, my interface has problems on windows 7 so I have to budget for a new one which I can't afford at the moment. I'm also somewhat dreading having to install and authorise all my plugins and instruments again, I'll probably leave it all until I afford a new pc at the same time.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
beatbybit

im on XP, and i plan to stay.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
fwd0120

If it isn't broke, don't fix. I'll move to 7 when the time comes to get a new system.
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Hmmmm... very cool and kinda scary as well... BUT... it's a dead link to the download...
Old 12-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
nofish

This one is still up

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=357
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Bob Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Well SD2 will soon change that
Hmmm yes, that has been in the back of my mind.

I wonder if any/how many people have stuck with XP and 4gb RAM and are running SD2.0 with no problems....?

If you don't mind me asking, how much RAM do you have and which OS?
Old 12-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Bob Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAmbition View Post
I'm on XP for audio. The memory limits are starting to get annoying, mainly because I never know when it's going to barf (it barfs well below 3 Gig, don't know why).
How much RAM is your graphics card?

And have you looked into enabling the 3gb switch?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
James HE

Im still on XP.

My plans?

To take over the World!!!!!!!!
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
nfpotter

For me, even though I'm a big XP fan, Win7 has been better on every single level. AND, for right now I'm only running it 32 bit bootcamped, haven't even done my 64 bit setup yet.

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
Stu

Quote:
Hmmm yes, that has been in the back of my mind.

I wonder if any/how many people have stuck with XP and 4gb RAM and are running SD2.0 with no problems....?

If you don't mind me asking, how much RAM do you have and which OS?
I'm running SD2.0 on XP without any real problems. If I start enabling bleed on every mic channel I quickly run out of RAM but given SD2.0s excellent built in rendering (which works regardless off RAM) in practice it's never an issue. Slate expansions like CLA and Terry date are much more RAM hungry and if not for the recent addition of disk streaming would be off limits for XP users unless you started lowering the detail a lot.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
Andy Hamm

I have a few PC's, but my mix racks and my main PC are still happily purring along with XP.

Nothing terrible is going to happen when Microsoft stops supporting XP - it will still work, there will just be no further patches for it and no support for vendors who would like to make software for it. Newer Microsoft Technologies like the latest versions of Direct X and .NET are already more advanced on other Microsoft OS's.

So XP will stay for the life of the computers that are running it for me. When I replace those PC's, they will be replaced with Windows 7 pc's or something later depending on how long they last. For me there is no dire need to change the OS just because there is a newer version available no more so then I need to buy a new car simply because new models have been released.

I've tried Windows 8 and 8.1 and I don't like the way it is laid out and I don't see it as a step forward or in the right direction in any case. I guess I like Gates' vision of what an OS should be moreso than whoever took over after XP.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #24
bob

I´m on XP. No plans to change.We are not alone

China says it wants Microsoft to extend support for Windows XP because that will help it in its fight to stop proliferation of pirated Microsoft software. A report from TechWeb written in Chinese says the release of Windows 8 means a substantial increase in the selling price of a Windows operating system, especially in light of the upcoming end-of-life of Windows XP, which is still used by a large percentage of Chinese. http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...na-276547.html
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

China says it wants Microsoft to extend support for Windows XP because that will help it in its fight to stop proliferation of pirated Microsoft software.
How? XP is by far easier for them pirate than Win8.

Quote:
A report from TechWeb written in Chinese says the release of Windows 8 means a substantial increase in the selling price of a Windows operating system, especially in light of the upcoming end-of-life of Windows XP, which is still used by a large percentage of Chinese.
Again, how? Windows 8 is less expensive than XP was even before we factor in dollar value differences between 2001/2013

I'm calling complete bubkis on that one.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
How? XP is by far easier for them pirate than Win8.

Again, how? Windows 8 is less expensive than XP was even before we factor in dollar value differences between 2001/2013

I'm calling complete bubkis on that one.
more on it here.

While the rest of the world probably is coming to terms with the fact that Windows XP is no more, the Chinese government is taking a stand. Call it the last stand, if you wish, but China is certainly putting pressure on the software giant to continue support for what could very well be the best Microsoft operating system to have been created. http://techbeat.com/2013/12/microsof...ep-windows-xp/
Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
Andy Hamm

Quote:
more on it here.

While the rest of the world probably is coming to terms with the fact that Windows XP is no more, the Chinese government is taking a stand. Call it the last stand, if you wish, but China is certainly putting pressure on the software giant to continue support for what could very well be the best Microsoft operating system to have been created. http://techbeat.com/2013/12/microsof...ep-windows-xp/
It's the end of an era. The last OS with Bill Gates calling the shots. Starting with Vista, there was someone else steering the ship.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
more on it here.

They are just saying, "we want to keep using the same one because we don't wanna buy the new one" so you are dead on topic as to this thread but the claims made (that I asked about above) are again, bubkis. Gotta love the interwebz.

I went to the dealership today, and they were completely out of 57 Chevy's, bastards.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #29
karbomusic

Quote:
best Microsoft operating system to have been created.
It absolutely was..... over a decade ago. If that were true now, they wouldn't be begging to keep updating it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
TMA

I'm still using it, windows 7 & 8 use that much ram i cant see the point unless it's the 64bit version and at least 8 gigs of ram. IF someone wants to buy me a new machine/OS though i won't grumble.

With me it's simply money stopping me, it's not just a new OS to buy but a machine that will make it feel like a worthy upgrade and that's not cheap.
TMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #31
hopi

I was only on XP -"forever"- and still have a couple machines that run it...

had no reason to change them since they both are limited to be 32 bit machines

But when I built the new monster, it is 64 bit and I went to Win7-64 and have been very happy with it..

all the power and ram, etc., ... makes a HUGE diff...
Old 12-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
dobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
I was on XP until my machine croaked a couple of months ago, and probably still would be. Reaper purrs like a kitten in Windows 8, but lots of other aspects are a pain in the ass and clearly unfinished.
What don't you like about 8?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #33
XITE-1/4LIVE

I stayed with XP and the PAE switch for years until 2011 when I found Windows 7 32bit and even more PAE Lovliness.
My DSP app already uses certain lines of code from Windows much like Pyramix from Merging Technologies does, so in a sense it makes it's own audio optimizations to Windows 98/XP and now 7 in 32bit.
Another live performance rig I have uses x64 Windows 7 and has been tweaked to run really well at .07 msec/64 samples/@96k but I have lost my beloved VDAT and STS5000 Sampler. Since these are just plain fun and used only for gigs where I play along to automated BGVx and Lighting Cues, etc. I enjoy both ways of using.
But my bigger question is to developers. When will they make their own Operating System meant for audio only, like old hardware sequencers and synths have done for decades.
The benefits are realtime parameter modulation and avoiding the millions of wasted IPS using a one size fits all OS.
Imagine the extra millions of wasted cycles being used for new Filters with precise and higher calculations.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro View Post
What don't you like about 8?
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but a lot of the simplicity of XP is just gone, for no good reason I can figure. For starters my new machine came with 8.1 instead of 8 as advertised, so I can't really speak to 8 specifically. But: I am unable to do simple things like running programs or moving folders around and copying files without clicking through multiple extra screens (yes, I'm sure I want to copy it, yes, I'm sure I want to move it, yes I want to open that program); I have to run many programs as administrator just to create presets (not Reaper thankfully); the metro interface, which is a nightmare for non-touchscreen users, pops up arbitrarily from time to time; Skydrive doesn't work for shit; my keyboard and mouse will lock up or spazz out randomly and I have to press ctrl+alt+shift to reset them; many driver updates were wonky and had to be rolled back and turned off; windows updates sometimes require multiple restarts; I have less customizing options than in XP for no real reason, etc etc. It's mostly a litany of small complaints that add up to one big pain in the ass.

As I said I had no plans to update from XP until entropy forced my hand. I might have gone Windows 7 and saved a little grief but I took the plunge. Thankfully Reaper runs like butter even with a cartoonishly huge project.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #35
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
But my bigger question is to developers. When will they make their own Operating System meant for audio only, like old hardware sequencers and synths have done for decades.
The benefits are realtime parameter modulation and avoiding the millions of wasted IPS using a one size fits all OS.
Imagine the extra millions of wasted cycles being used for new Filters with precise and higher calculations.
I can't see that ever happening. Writing an operating system is a gargantuan task, involving a significant investment of time and money. The target audience would be so small that the investment cost would have to be spread among a very small group, making it prohibitively expensive.

Add to that the fact that device manufacturers would need to create drivers for this new operating system. I'm not just talking about audio interfaces, but printers, monitors, disk drives, etc., etc., etc. There are tons of devices today that work on Windows but not Mac - let alone Linux, which does have a fairly large user base. Toss in a new O/S that counts it users in the thousands rather than millions and there's pretty much no hope of getting support.

DAW developers are constantly working to update their software to add new features and to exploit new technology. If they have to create the O/S themselves, the amount of developer resources would have to be increased dramatically. It's bad enough that users complain about developers not keeping up with things like VST3 - now you're going to have them chasing support of every possible hardware combination out there. Of course, you could limit it to only certain devices, but then you're even further limiting the potential user base, increasing the per-user price accordingly.

Nope - can't see it happening.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
MIAmbition

Quote:
How much RAM is your graphics card?

And have you looked into enabling the 3gb switch?
I know about the 3gb switch. I have 8gb in my system and I want to start using it.

My graphic card is a pretty wimpy fanless. Probably has 512mb.

SD can stream from disk. This will save you RAM.
MIAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but a lot of the simplicity of XP is just gone, for no good reason I can figure.
I'm the exact opposite, occasionally I have to touch XP and it is the slowest obsolete experience I can possibly think of beyond Windows 98; it literally makes me want to shoot myself in the face. There is nothing I can do in XP that I can't do 10 times faster and better in Win8. IMHO all the simplicity is still there yet more efficient, one just has to learn the few changes.

For those who love the start menu, and only as an FYI, you can add the start menu shortcuts folder to the task bar which makes it expandable and it is almost exactly the same thing except it is on the right side of the screen. Otherwise the functionality is almost identical if one likes taking all day to browse through the menus that way that is.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #38
DigiDis

Quote:
...For those who love the start menu, and only as an FYI, you can add the start menu shortcuts folder to the task bar which makes it expandable and it is almost exactly the same thing except it is on the right side of the screen. Otherwise the functionality is almost identical if one likes taking all day to browse through the menus that way that is.
I use Pokki with Win8 and love it. It is like the Win7 start menu on steroids and makes Win8 a no brainer to me. People want to try to make Windows 8 out to be another Vista but it actually performs better and is more robust and feature rich than Windows 7. And it is absolutely rock solid. Add a start menu software like Pokki, Classic Shell or StartIsBack and few will ever miss Windows 7.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post
I use Pokki with Win8 and love it. It is like the Win7 start menu on steroids and makes Win8 a no brainer to me. People want to try to make Windows 8 out to be another Vista but it actually performs better and is more robust and feature rich than Windows 7. And it is absolutely rock solid. Add a start menu software like Pokki, Classic Shell or StartIsBack and few will ever miss Windows 7.
Agreed except I don't miss the old start menu one iota, its monumentally too slow for me in comparison but have no quam if someone else likes it.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
Swamp Ape

Quote:
I'm the exact opposite, occasionally I have to touch XP and it is the slowest obsolete experience I can possibly think of beyond Windows 98; it literally makes me want to shoot myself in the face. There is nothing I can do in XP that I can't do 10 times faster and better in Win8. IMHO all the simplicity is still there yet more efficient, one just has to learn the few changes.

For those who love the start menu, and only as an FYI, you can add the start menu shortcuts folder to the task bar which makes it expandable and it is almost exactly the same thing except it is on the right side of the screen. Otherwise the functionality is almost identical if one likes taking all day to browse through the menus that way that is.
I was referring more to the other things I described in my post, copying and moving and starting programs etc. All of these things suddenly require pointless double-confirmation, or specific permissions - "Are you sure you want to run GIMP, even though you just right clicked on it and picked 'run as administrator (so you can save actions)'?" "Windows is about to move the folder you just tried to move. Allow?" This is not "ten times faster". The start menu/taskbar stuff is not what I'm complaining about.

I also miss having flat folder icons with pictures of the album covers, or photos, or whatever images on them, rather than the weird angled 3/4 ones in 8. Apparently this has been the case since Vista, but there should be an option to just keep it simple. I do a lot of photography and painting and navigating these folder has become much more tiresome. This is a workflow issue for me, not just an aesthetic one. Although with all the flat eyesore tiles in Metro view you figure there'd be some version of it in explorer...