Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
urbanbird
Human being with feelings

Default Tips for faster editing?

Hi there--

I have an ambition to be a sound editor (perhaps dialogue editing). I am not very advanced at all and I am kind of teaching myself stuff via YouTube and manuals and whatnot. Right now, I am just into the "mechanical phase" of editing (i.e. getting rid of bad takes, taking out clicks and pops, etc). I'm currently editing my boyfriend's audiobooks that he records out of our home studio. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for faster editing. Any suggestion is welcome! I would really appreciate it! Hopefully when I am more advanced, I will be able to share the tips you give me with another newbie. Thanks!
urbanbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Lokasenna

Binding a key to "split selected items at mouse cursor" or whatever it's called is REALLY useful, since you can just skim through item, tapping away every time you get to a pop, or a bad take, and then go back through afterward to cut them out by deleting or dragging item edges.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbird View Post
Hi there--

I have an ambition to be a sound editor (perhaps dialogue editing). I am not very advanced at all and I am kind of teaching myself stuff via YouTube and manuals and whatnot. Right now, I am just into the "mechanical phase" of editing (i.e. getting rid of bad takes, taking out clicks and pops, etc). I'm currently editing my boyfriend's audiobooks that he records out of our home studio. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for faster editing. Any suggestion is welcome! I would really appreciate it! Hopefully when I am more advanced, I will be able to share the tips you give me with another newbie. Thanks!
I think my first suggestion would be to make a filter for your microphone. You can easily make them out of Pantyhose and a coathanger. They are just as effective as the one's pay good money for and will save you a lot of editing, because they will eliminate 80% to 90% of your pops.

The other suggestion would be to learn to use item envelopes. I think properly adjusting item envelopes is much better than just cutting out the pops. Usually all it takes is a little adjustment to turn a P-pop or B-pop into a proper sounding P or B.

I further suggest that you get acquainted with all the actions and mouse modifiers associated with the item envelopes, and envelopes in general.

Editing audio books and other related implementations, is a pretty specific operation, and I think with all of Reaper's capabilities, you can easily come up with what you need.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Tod

Heh heh, this is basically what they look like made out of a coathanger and pantyhose. Really and truly you can make them look better than this. As ugly as it is, I can use this on any of my mics including one of my favorite vocal mics, an AKG 414.

I started using these back in the mid 70s and I've never had any clients complain.

Heh heh, the only questions I got were, "Is it clean"? I always assured them it had been thoroughly washed.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
DVDdoug

I agree that it's best to start with the best recording possible...

Audio (and video) editing is time consuming and that's the way it is... You could easily spend a half-day, or a day, or even more editing a one-hour program.

You're generally going to listen-through before editing, you play/listen while editing, and you listen to the final product when you're done. That's a minimum of 3 times real-time before you do any "work".
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote