Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default questions about video display issue and current pre

posted about this in tips & tricks but no response so i'm wondering if others have seen this or if it's resolved in current pres.

after upgrade to w10pro/64 from w7pro/64 i have two video issues:

1. when i place a video file on the timeline the image does not appear in the video window until i click open the item properties window for the video item.

2. i run the video window on a dedicated hd (1920x1080p) tv as a monitor. i generally run lower resolution video files and size them up to full screen. an example might be a 960x540p native resolution file. in the video window i can select the option 'fullscreen' and the smaller file fills the screen and hides its menu bar or window borders. it did that under w7 anyway. not under w10. under the w10 upgrade the file seems to (i have no way of measuring) snap to about two-thirds of the monitor's height and width rather than filling the screen. it snaps to this size regardless of the file's resolution. it does hide the menu bar but displays the image at the wrong size.

is anyone else seeing this kind of thing? any ideas?

using reaper64 portable v5.21. windows sez display driver is up to date.

edit:
just updated display driver for gtx760. same thing. no improvement.

thanks,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 07-31-2016 at 09:08 PM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
babag

the issue seems to be with v5. i just went through some older portable installs and found that v4.721 and v4.74 pre7 both worked as expected. v5.01 forward exhibit this behavior.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
heda

strange.
have you tried checking the video settings in preferences?
Have you tried a new portable install of REAPER 5? If it works there, then see what settings are changed.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
babag

yes. checked settings. didn't see anything there that seemed like it would affect this. since it seems to have been consistent since v5 started i thought it best to ask others before trying yet more pres.

thanks for the reply,
BabaG
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
heda

I forgot more settings... in the project settings, in the video tab? There are some resizing options.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
babag

thanks heda. will look at that when i get back to the studio later today. really feels to me like an issue between w10 and v5, though, more than a setting.

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
heda

I think changing the resize options in project settings may fix the issue.
Preferred video size
and always resize options.
also preserve aspect ratio when resizing.

Let us know.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
babag

those options do appear in the video window's own options menu and i've tried them all. will look later in the project settings to see if they follow the video window or vice versa. maybe there's a conflict between these settings locations.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
heda

maybe it is really a bug
if the screens have different resolutions, the full screen command may not work? That's a big bug if that's the case. Because many times you want to use a projector that has lower resolution than the laptop screen for example. We always have to keep a REAPER v4 version and windows 7 installed just in case.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
babag

yeah. i tried running a film i've been mixing yesterday and it was torture. my room is black and the lights were down. having that blinding white menu bar across the top of the primary picture display made it pretty much impossible to watch. fortunately nobody else was there for that one and i now know v4 works in this context. not practical, though, to open a current v5.21 project in v4. only would work for a playback scenario in which i'm importing finished mixed tracks and finished picture.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 08-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

Have you installed the latest recommended ffmpeg and also VLC?

Airon has a post below that might help.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459

I recommend using VLC as your primary playback and this can be set by the order in video preferences in reaper.

Hope you get it sorted!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
babag

thanks musicbynumbers.

just updated to current vlc (which has been my decoder of choice all along). no difference.
ffmpeg seems current as best i can tell.

had a look at project settings as discussed earlier and, while they do make some changes in the image, fullscreen still behaves the same, reducing the frame. only option remains to drag the corner of the frame larger to fill the screen but that leaves the bright white menu bar blazing across the top of the monitor. in addition, it's much larger in w10 which makes it even more obnoxious. i'm really thinking this is a bug between v5 and w10 and how they draw the video screen.

thanks again,
BabaG