Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
maa
Human being with feelings

Default CUE / WAV output with CD Text

Hi all,
I check by now and then to see if Reaper can do Cue / Wav yet.
If Sam can . . . . then why not Reaper? Index 00 and 01 (pause) or Pregap depending what definitions you use. Edit all CdText like Songwriter / Performer in Reaper rather than afterwards in Notepad.
I need to play back the Cues in Foobar or whatever and be able to edit the CD Text. This is below the mighty DDP I know but this is for musicians that I record. The BIN format that Reaper offers is useless. I have to render a BIN - delete it and render the same thing as a Wave in order to use the CUE file - at least thats how its been.
Any hope on this in the future?

Cheers,
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
maa

Hmm . . . .?

My work flow can't be that unusual I'm sure.

I record local groups in my studio or live concerts after which at various stages of the production I send or make available via FTP CUE/WAV files for the musicains. They can burn them for use in the car but more thán not they just play them in Foobar or what have you. They have CD Text, Index Zero (pause) markers Etc. (Wave markers don't cut it)
I'd like to be able to do this directly in Reaper. It surely can't be that much work as the markers are there in the RPP anyway. Just the Editor is missing and the index types.
I'd also like to be able to output the CUE file without actually rendering anything. (Usefull for afterthoughts).

So - anyone doing similar stuff?

EDIT:
Just seen in the DDP thread that a user has writen a long way around this - but come on - the CUE form is the simplest most basic way of making CDs and should be part of the program itself.

Last edited by maa; 07-10-2013 at 03:08 AM.
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
The Byre

Any and every DAW is usually not really suited to producing finished CDs. Given that nearly every PC sold, will have some sort of CD burning software, such as Nero Wave Editor and Nero Essentials, which can do CD texts and all the other Rad Book tasks, as well as DVDs, I do not expect the DAW to duplicate this effort.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
planetnine

It would be nice for continuous CDs to have at least CD text.

Getting REAPER to produce the Cue file is a great shortcut where you are not outputting individual wavs, but a continuous programme (eg a live show) with track markers included. Saves going into Nero and finding those points again.

I don't know about the other features the OP was requesting, but the CD text marker from the REAPER marker (and titles taken from the render dialogue) would be a nice touch. Working smarter and the rest, you know?

>
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
The Byre

CD Wave Editor cuts up a continuous WAV file into tracks without gaps. REALLY useful for those live gigs!

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=buy.php
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
planetnine

So does Nero.

But I have to locate those points in Nero. After I've already selected them in REAPER.

I'm not arguing with the functionality of it Byre, but why do the job twice if it's not imperative to author the CD in Wave Editor or Nero?

It seems a minor feature request to save quite some mucking about. I know it won't benefit everybody, but I bet it'll improve some workflows.

>
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
WyattRice

In time, I think and hope that Reaper will have the ability not only to import/export cue/wav format, but also the ability to write it to CD's as well, including all CD Text support.

DDP is a step forward at this point, but it's still missing some features as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
hopi

why must reaper do 'everything'? LOL

check out HOFA CD DDP... add it into reaper as a vst
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
kkalnasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
The BIN format that Reaper offers is useless. I have to render a BIN - delete it and render the same thing as a Wave in order to use the CUE file - at least thats how its been.
I agree. I posted the same thing back in 2011, to the sound of crickets:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85771

It seems a waste to have to wait for a bin render when all you want is the cue. Like you, what I end up needing is a cue/wave render, which I then process with the free Max program to automatically convert to Apple Lossless and dump into iTunes. I don't want or need the bin file. It can't be that hard to render the cue without the bin.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Jeffsounds

CD Architect was pretty popular a few years ago. Wonder what happened to it?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
citizenkeith

I don't understand why CUE/BIN is there but CUE/WAV isn't an option. I don't necessarily want Reaper to burn the discs. There are plenty of better options for that. But a CUE/WAV, with the option of splitting the WAV into tracks, would be perfect. Then I could delete CD Wave from my computer and save a bunch of steps.
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote