Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Your way of working with mute envelopes

Do you have a quick way of muting sections of items? Maybe a custom action to control mute automation? I was hoping to find maybe something to do a bottom half waveform time selection and hit a button and have the mute envelope toggle state. Or is there a much smarter way?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
hopi
Human being with feelings

not sure of your specific needs but why not use the volume envelope and just use a time selection to set four points and then bring the bar between them down to zero...? zero then IS mute for just that section...
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Philbo King

If you open the automation, select the mute envelope, set the automation mode to latch, then play through the track, it'll record your clicks on the track mute as an automation envelope.

I generally do it a little differently: select each section I want muted, use shift-s to split it out into a separate item, then just turn that section down by using the item volume. (You hover near the top of the item ato get the double-arrow cursor, then click & drag down to turn the item down.)
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Sometimes, I dont want to split because it is part of a grouped set of items.

Is there a command to set selected area of selected volume envelope to zero?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
hopi

pipe as ever many cats to skin

how many of these do you need to do? If it is zillions then this may not help, but if not so many.. then

make a time selection on a vol env ...use action to insert four points at time selection

drag the connecting bar between the inside points to the bottom... so effectively that is 'mute'...

ok now assuming you have a recent pre release of reaper, you now have AI's... automation items... so rt clk near the bottom of that time selection on the env and choose insert automation item...

OK no you can hold control and copy by dragging that AI along your track and you can adjust wth width of each one as desired...
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

zillions, so I'm looking for kind of a toggle mute envelope in time selection sort of thing I think
Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
serr

When it's the kind of thing where you probably want the audio muted but you might change your mind later so you don't want to commit to just deleting the items...

I use item mute. Enable the item mute button in preferences if it isn't by default (I can't remember). All selected items will mute/unmute together with a click.

If it's a fiddly section requiring automation rides, I'll use volume envelopes as mentioned. A volume envelope can be a mute envelope but not vice verse, so more bang for the buck. ie. Less work to modify if that mute turns into a more complex volume automation along the way.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Sound asleep

I don't have anything exactly like that. You might already do something like this, but I have a setting so that time selection will automatically create points at loop handles, and pulling down or pushing up the envelope, will push the whole section inside the time selection.

This can sometimes be an accident, or less desirable functionality, so I have TAB key bound to removing the time selection, but saving its position, and then shift+TAB brings it back. This is also useful whenever you are using a loop section you want to keep, but would like to do another one for a short bit for something, and then go back to what you had earlier with one key press.

I also write points in by double clicking. Holding shift and draging a segment between points won't drag it all down creating diagonals with the next points on either side, wherever they may be, it creates a second set of points where the ones on either side of mouse pointer were, and dragging down drags down that segment.

So, for what you want to do, the fastest way for my setup would be either draw time selection where I want to mute, and then drag, or double click two points where I want the mute to start/end and shift+drag up/down.

But what I really wish I could get would be a toolbar toggle that would put me in a mode where dragging up or down on envelope would create points and the next and previous grid segment, and then function like Shift drag does for me.

This way, you can quickly mute unmute sections of given sizes, which can be great for stutter effects and stuff like that, or also the sort of thing you are doing perhaps. I mean, even if you need to drag down 4 1/4 grids in a row, that's pretty fast and easy.

But I think that's just wishful thinking at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
When it's the kind of thing where you probably want the audio muted but you might change your mind later so you don't want to commit to just deleting the items...

I use item mute. Enable the item mute button in preferences if it isn't by default (I can't remember). All selected items will mute/unmute together with a click.

If it's a fiddly section requiring automation rides, I'll use volume envelopes as mentioned. A volume envelope can be a mute envelope but not vice verse, so more bang for the buck. ie. Less work to modify if that mute turns into a more complex volume automation along the way.
It's also useful for muting sends, if you want to have delays only on last words of sections or something like that.

Actually, usually what I would do for just muting an item section, would be to split it and them mute the item. I have a button on my item for that (maybe everyone does?). I don't mind doing that, unless I have item envelopes, the I might not do that, depending. The reason for that, is without item envelopes, I can always just delete two of the items, and re-drag the left-most one, and they are back good as new with no split. If I have an item envelope, I can't do that. So, maybe I don't care because of where the splits are, or maybe I would mute with an envelope of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post

Is there a command to set selected area of selected volume envelope to zero?
Maybe, but I don't know it. There is a pretty good chance you could do that with a macro though. all you need to do is be able to select envelope points at loop points, and set their value to zero, one at a time.

Not sure that would speed things up much compared to just dragging down though. But if you could place your time selection with a key press, then that would be very nifty.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 06-22-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I havent quite got it figured but so far:

Envelope: Insert 4 points at time selection
SWS/BR: Select next envelope point
Envelope: Invert selected points
Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
It's also useful for muting sends, if you want to have delays only on last words of sections or something like that.
You know, I often just put those bits on a new track for that kind of thing. Makes it simple to just "grab" them and keep moving at the speed of thought.

There are usually 6 different ways to do the same thing depending on where you are in motion at any moment. I don't have any hard rules for this. Today it might seem quick to make a new "delay send" track and slice out bits of items. Tomorrow it might seem quicker for a different project to automate a send envelope.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You know, I often just put those bits on a new track for that kind of thing. Makes it simple to just "grab" them and keep moving at the speed of thought.

There are usually 6 different ways to do the same thing depending on where you are in motion at any moment. I don't have any hard rules for this. Today it might seem quick to make a new "delay send" track and slice out bits of items. Tomorrow it might seem quicker for a different project to automate a send envelope.
Ya. IK don't usually like that approach because it clutters up my tcp, uses more processing power, clutters up sends, and I need to wait for the FX to load on the duplicate track.

But I sometimes prefer something like that also.

Quote:

I think you would be better off doing something like inserting 2 points at loops, moving edit cursor to loop point A, move edit cursor a 16th increment over, insert envelope point, move it all the way down, then move it to the left a 16th, and do the same with the other side.

I think there will be everything you need for that. But honestly, especially if you include the time to work it out, I think just drawing your loop point, and dragging the envelope down, is basically just as fast.

Unless you have a way to automate your loop points.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
hopi

Quote:

I don't see how this does what you wanted... especially for 'zillions' of instances... what don't I understand pipe?

but I may have what I think you want:

Make a custom action like this:

Insert 4 points in time selection
move selected points down a little bit <----[odd name for an action but it is for real]

OK so put in 80 or more copies of that move selected points down ...

that will take the area in the time selection of a vol env down to zero... [essentially muted]

NOTE: do remember to chk the box to consolidate undo points so you can undo the whole thing if you want to

Also with a bit of experimentation to get the exact number "little bit" moves... you could make the
antidote custom action to move the points back up to the original volume

Last edited by hopi; 06-22-2017 at 10:36 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #13
hopi

so hey pipe... did you give that a try? works nicely here so wondering if it solved your question???
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm working on it,with a counter command to set those points to zero, I'll post up the macro if I ever get super happy with it
Old 06-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
hopi

not sure what you are saying... look back a few posts I did put up a custom action method that works just great...

make a time selection and run the custom action... on a vol env and ya gots a mute.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
turntable

Default Mute automation

I have found a way to do this using a custom action
1: insert envelope points at time selection
2: envelope move selected envelope points up a bit ( I had to put multiples of this action in for it to work as each one gives you 1db gain)

Lea
turntable is offline   Reply With Quote