Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #641
wibem
Human being with feelings

Default Continuing playback

When I start Playtime, Reaper is starting too. But when I stop playing Playtime, the playback of Reaper is still going on and never stops again. Is this the normal behavior?
wibem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #642
Thor

Default Multichannel recording with Playtime

Hi all.

I have a 10 channel track that I would like to record into using playtime. I have set the input to 10 channel so if I record in the normal fashion I get a 10 channel file.

I would like to create a live recorded loop with a 10 channel file and would expect the file to be generated when recording using playtime to be 10 channels, however when I record using playtime the file is only two channels.

Is it possible to get a 10 channel file recorded using playtime?

(Sidenote, I am looking at playtime because of abletons lack of surround capabilities.)

Thank you!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #643
brummbear

Default Write Mode Problem with MIDI toggle off - Playtime as an Instrument

Hi Ben,

At times I am using Playtime slots to act like an instrument / sampler. I have audio clips with MIDI toggle mode set to off and - typically - play start time and play stop time set to immediately (note: I can reproduce the problem whenever MIDI toggle is off regardless of start/top times, however it is more pronounced when start/stop times are set to immediately).

While I am just triggering the clips via MIDI everything works as expected. Even very short triggers like stuttering a vocal clip or finger drumming style play work. I use a Launchpad Pro as MIDI controller to Playtime. Of course I can also record the MIDI input and play everything afterwards, still no problem.

When using Playtime's Write Mode to actually "stamp" the clips on the corresponding tracks I get timing problems: Sometimes clips from the same slot overlap in time which creates multiple takes. Since I have just one pad to trigger one clip that should of course never happen (I cannot logically have one pad on and off at the same time or on "multiple times"). Also, sometimes Playtime accidentally writes the entire clip although I released the pad already. All of this happens only if I very rapidly tap on the pad. It seems that Write Mode causes Playtime to become quite inaccurate in terms of sensing MIDI events in time and writing them onto the track at exactly those times. This is weird because without Write it is perfectly precise. Possibly also linked to Reaper's API you are using for writing clips...

I had the suspicion that maybe the sluggishness tolerance had something to do with this behavior but even setting it to 0 did not help.

Do you have any idea what the cause could be and if there is any remedy?

As always - thank you for your consideration and creating this fabulous tool!

Playtime version 1.12.1
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #644
vanhaze

I use Playtime in exactly the same way as you and i experience the very same issue.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #645
Ozman

Hmm... I'm thinking its from the fact that the whole clips/items are repeated when they play, instead of their lengths being elongated and thus looped overtime.

I think that changing that could maybe fix that problem.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #646
Nystagmus

Default Thanks

Hey, thanks so much for developing this item.
I am really eager to try it out this weekend.
I hope it takes off well. It's a good feature idea.

Peace
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #647
themixtape

Apologize if this has been covered already but... can Playtime "midi-learn" scroll up/down and left/right? I have a Launchpad and want the up/down arrows, and left/right arrows (top left of the Launchpad) to scroll through the clips/scenes (rows and columns) and have all the lights match wherever I am, much in the same way Ableton does.

I am running the latest version of Playtime, and Reaper... bought Playtime a few years ago (at version 1.0 I think)... just got around to messing with it again.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #648
MCCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Apologize if this has been covered already but... can Playtime "midi-learn" scroll up/down and left/right? I have a Launchpad and want the up/down arrows, and left/right arrows (top left of the Launchpad) to scroll through the clips/scenes (rows and columns) and have all the lights match wherever I am, much in the same way Ableton does.

I am running the latest version of Playtime, and Reaper... bought Playtime a few years ago (at version 1.0 I think)... just got around to messing with it again.

Thanks everyone!

This is exactly what I want too (except, that I'm using other footswitches & don't need lights)!!!

I'm so curious, if my new prototype footswitch will work with playtime. I decided to do it chromatically not the ableton way, because I like the Idea of a MIDI bass pedal too :-)

https://youtu.be/scnitlZloL8
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #649
MCCY

I tried to set up Playtime again, now using my chromatical Footswitch, which seemed to work nice, until I found, that presets are messed up randomly so I can't save my settings for MIDI controlling :-(
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #650
gwok

Hi,

I've was running 1.12.- and now 1.12.1, and in both the "Play clips with arrangement" does not seem to be working. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am on

Reaper 5.4 64bit
osx 10.9.5

cheers

edit: found it, was the preference VST>Don't flush plugins on stop/reset

Last edited by gwok; 04-09-2017 at 09:59 PM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #651
essessell

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Dear REAPER users,

for those of you who want a Session View à la Ableton Live in REAPER: Now there is one. It's called Playtime. Technically, it's a VST instrument that makes heavy use of REAPER's awesome extension API.

Playtime is available here. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Would appreciate any feedback

Cheers
Ben

what does this do
essessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #652
woelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by essessell View Post
what does this do
as stated in the main post it is a very handy overview of certain sections of all of your tracks. They can be immediately played and thus randomly combined to grant a vast variety of your songs. The structure is not necessarily fixed with your arrangement anymore and so gives you a great opportunity for eg. live performing - streching / remixing your songs.

@helgoboss
You sir are going to be my hero for ages!! This is what I always waited for in Reaper! Thanks so much!!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #653
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibem View Post
When I start Playtime, Reaper is starting too. But when I stop playing Playtime, the playback of Reaper is still going on and never stops again. Is this the normal behavior?
This is normal behavior (Playtime needs a continuously running transport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Hi all.

I have a 10 channel track that I would like to record into using playtime. I have set the input to 10 channel so if I record in the normal fashion I get a 10 channel file.

I would like to create a live recorded loop with a 10 channel file and would expect the file to be generated when recording using playtime to be 10 channels, however when I record using playtime the file is only two channels.

Is it possible to get a 10 channel file recorded using playtime?

(Sidenote, I am looking at playtime because of abletons lack of surround capabilities.)

Thank you!
Right now, recording from inputs offer up to 2 channels. Recording from track offers up to 8 channels. I created a ticket for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Hi Ben,

At times I am using Playtime slots to act like an instrument / sampler. I have audio clips with MIDI toggle mode set to off and - typically - play start time and play stop time set to immediately (note: I can reproduce the problem whenever MIDI toggle is off regardless of start/top times, however it is more pronounced when start/stop times are set to immediately).

While I am just triggering the clips via MIDI everything works as expected. Even very short triggers like stuttering a vocal clip or finger drumming style play work. I use a Launchpad Pro as MIDI controller to Playtime. Of course I can also record the MIDI input and play everything afterwards, still no problem.

When using Playtime's Write Mode to actually "stamp" the clips on the corresponding tracks I get timing problems: Sometimes clips from the same slot overlap in time which creates multiple takes. Since I have just one pad to trigger one clip that should of course never happen (I cannot logically have one pad on and off at the same time or on "multiple times"). Also, sometimes Playtime accidentally writes the entire clip although I released the pad already. All of this happens only if I very rapidly tap on the pad. It seems that Write Mode causes Playtime to become quite inaccurate in terms of sensing MIDI events in time and writing them onto the track at exactly those times. This is weird because without Write it is perfectly precise. Possibly also linked to Reaper's API you are using for writing clips...

I had the suspicion that maybe the sluggishness tolerance had something to do with this behavior but even setting it to 0 did not help.

Do you have any idea what the cause could be and if there is any remedy?
Actually I would have also suspected the sluggishness tolerance. But yes, it must be something else then. I'll have a look. Ticket 269.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post

Thanks everyone!
Should be already possible with the normal Launchpad and more than 8x8 slots by selecting "Launchpad" as controller. Doesn't this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
I tried to set up Playtime again, now using my chromatical Footswitch, which seemed to work nice, until I found, that presets are messed up randomly so I can't save my settings for MIDI controlling :-(
Do you use Playtime in combination with ReaLearn? Or normal REAPER automation? How and when does it get messed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
Hi,

I've was running 1.12.- and now 1.12.1, and in both the "Play clips with arrangement" does not seem to be working. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am on

Reaper 5.4 64bit
osx 10.9.5

cheers

edit: found it, was the preference VST>Don't flush plugins on stop/reset
Oh, interesting find! I'll try to automatically enable this whenever Playtime is active.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #654
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi brummbear. I know what causes this: Whenever Playtime stops an audio clip immediately, it actually doesn't stop it immediately but adds 100ms more so the item fade-out can be applied by REAPER. Without this fade-out, you would most likely hear a click in live-playing. This fade-out is applied no matter if write mode is on or off.

So yes, this can definitely cause multiple overlapping items on several lanes! But it should not create multiple takes of one item. And it should not affect timing - the clip start and end times should be exactly the same as without write mode.

Now some questions:

1. In your case, was it really creating multiple takes? Or just overlapping items?
2. Does this really cause timing issues or were you just surprised by the fact that things overlap?

What I could do in case of such a quick repetition within the 100ms phase: Just writing the items side-by-side without any gap inbetween. But I don't want to invest time into that unless I know the current solution causes issues.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:16 AM   #655
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Hi brummbear. I know what causes this: Whenever Playtime stops an audio clip immediately, it actually doesn't stop it immediately but adds 100ms more so the item fade-out can be applied by REAPER. Without this fade-out, you would most likely hear a click in live-playing. This fade-out is applied no matter if write mode is on or off.

So yes, this can definitely cause multiple overlapping items on several lanes! But it should not create multiple takes of one item. And it should not affect timing - the clip start and end times should be exactly the same as without write mode.

Now some questions:

1. In your case, was it really creating multiple takes? Or just overlapping items?
2. Does this really cause timing issues or were you just surprised by the fact that things overlap?

What I could do in case of such a quick repetition within the 100ms phase: Just writing the items side-by-side without any gap inbetween. But I don't want to invest time into that unless I know the current solution causes issues.
Hi Ben,
Thanks for looking deeper into this!
1. You are right: It's overlapping items, not takes.
2. It does create timing issues because Playtime writes items that should not be there. I did a quick test to reconfirm this. As you can see in the attached screenshot multiple overlapping items were written. The full loops (upper 3 long items) should not be there since I released the pad. The "stairs" of short items are OK. The overlap between the last two short items can be explained by the 100ms rule that you described above.

I also confirmed that this ONLY happens if using Playtime's Write mode. Without Write there is no issue, i.e realtime play works just fine. Same if just recording the MIDI events and then letting Playtime create the items on the fly during playback or rendering does not cause problems. The issue is with writing items.

In a subsequent test I also recorded the MIDI input coming from Launchapd. Just to be safe I also set the sluggishness tolerance to 0ms in Playtime. My observations for Write mode were as follows:

a) MIDI events were correctly recorded, no overlapping issues here.
b) The lag between MIDI event (Note ON) and Playtime writing the item on the timeline was constantly 20ms. Seems pretty long, but acceptable.
c) The length of the item written by Playtime is always = length(MIDI note) + 200ms. E.g. MIDI note = 50ms => item written = 250ms, MIDI note = 500ms => item written = 700ms etc.

I found the last point interesting as I was expecting from your description the item to be just 100ms longer than the MIDI event.

Finally I also did a render from the MIDI events. The lag of 20ms and length +200ms were just like with items in write mode. No issue with overlaps as in write mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (42.2 KB, 482 views)
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #656
mrdan

Default Change slot dimensions ?

Hi Ben, I use your Playtime by some months and it works good.

I have a question, it's possible to change the slots dimensions ? I just started to use reaper on a touchscreen laptop, so i use all the features by pressing the screen without interfaces like launchpad,push,ecc

I think it's a awesome improvement if i could change the measures of the slots (
height and width), and to hide the trigger button on the right of the slots.

Moreover, i guess if it's a difficult improvement to insert some button on the interface for the basic operation about slots, ex. UNDO, REDO, RECORD MODE, ecc..
to avoid the necessity of open the menu on slots by right-clicking

Thanks
mrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #657
zookthespook

I am not sure if i know how to do this ..
1. I am keen on using PTime for MIDI clips. Is there an way to input quantize
while recording midi ?
2.Is there a way to drop Vsti for a certain group row right from the helgoboss UI ?
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #658
Piszpan

I think it would be great it the Playtime website contained a separate, easy to find section with "certified" (verified) controllers. It is not clear now if e.g. Launchpad MkII, Pro, Behringer CMD Touch TC64 and some Akai models would work properly.
Piszpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #659
todd_r

Hi,

Just tied this out again and bought it. Very nice

My only FR would be to be able to assign multiple files at once, and it would give you the options to fill across a scene or fill a group
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #660
Win Conway

Quote:
Hi Ben,
Thanks for looking deeper into this!
1. You are right: It's overlapping items, not takes.
2. It does create timing issues because Playtime writes items that should not be there. I did a quick test to reconfirm this. As you can see in the attached screenshot multiple overlapping items were written. The full loops (upper 3 long items) should not be there since I released the pad. The "stairs" of short items are OK. The overlap between the last two short items can be explained by the 100ms rule that you described above.

I also confirmed that this ONLY happens if using Playtime's Write mode. Without Write there is no issue, i.e realtime play works just fine. Same if just recording the MIDI events and then letting Playtime create the items on the fly during playback or rendering does not cause problems. The issue is with writing items.

In a subsequent test I also recorded the MIDI input coming from Launchapd. Just to be safe I also set the sluggishness tolerance to 0ms in Playtime. My observations for Write mode were as follows:

a) MIDI events were correctly recorded, no overlapping issues here.
b) The lag between MIDI event (Note ON) and Playtime writing the item on the timeline was constantly 20ms. Seems pretty long, but acceptable.
c) The length of the item written by Playtime is always = length(MIDI note) + 200ms. E.g. MIDI note = 50ms => item written = 250ms, MIDI note = 500ms => item written = 700ms etc.

I found the last point interesting as I was expecting from your description the item to be just 100ms longer than the MIDI event.

Finally I also did a render from the MIDI events. The lag of 20ms and length +200ms were just like with items in write mode. No issue with overlaps as in write mode.
Man i reported this a long time ago, glad you have been able to post it better than i could, because everybody just said that "It never happens to me" when i posted it hahaha, hope this gets fixed, finger drumming in to a track is terrible in playtime for me.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:43 AM   #661
todd_r

I'm sure you've figured this or something like it out, but thought I'd share cos it made me happy.

Set up a screenset for an equivalent(ish) of Live's session view, so I can easily switch between that and timeline view

todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 AM   #662
zvukofor

I do not know where to post bug report, as i did it on bitbucket and no answer for 3 months.

Basically, latest versions of Playtime (and ReaLearn!) is not loading at all... Just getting the same message as on a screenshot in attachment.
Made a "portable" clean install of Reaper to check if something wrong with my installation - same stuff, same message. I use OS X 10.9.5, latest Reaper version and latest SWS.

Version 1.11 works, but i cannot have it docked, Reaper crashes...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 13.21.53 .png (47.0 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by zvukofor; 05-30-2017 at 05:22 AM.
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:11 AM   #663
Medway

Looks very interesting, can't believe I just came across this.
Medway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #664
regrant

Default APC Mini

I found an issue with the APC Mini - presumably this would be the same issue with the APC 40.

What's happening is that whenever a clip is deleted or when a clip is moved from one cell to another the light for the button is not turning off.

I put a MIDI monitor on it and saw this:

0: 80 1B 00 [Note Off] chan 1 note 27

It looks like what is happening is that a Note Off is being used instead of a Note On with a velocity of zero. I realize by convention they are treated the same butfor the APC Mini it has to be an actual Note On message.

I wrote a JS script to be able to turn off all the lights (then essentially Playtime resets), but it would nice to not have to do this step.

Also clicking the broom does the same thing, sending out a bunch of Note Off messages instead of Note Ons
regrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #665
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by regrant View Post
I found an issue with the APC Mini - presumably this would be the same issue with the APC 40.
This vid explains the problem and how to fix it with Bome's MIDI translator.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #666
ThrashJazzAssassin

This seems to work for APC mini,
  • select APC40 in Playtime's settings
  • Relearn the cells to the APC mini buttons
  • Put the following JSFX after Playtime

Code:
desc: NoteOff to NoteOn vel 0

in_pin:none
out_pin:none

@block
while (
  midirecv(offset,msg1,msg2,msg3) ? ( //Receive MIDI message

msg1 == 0x80 ? ( //Is it a NoteOff?
      msg1 = 0x90; //Change to NoteOn
      msg3 = 0; //With vel 0

midisend(offset,msg1,msg2,msg3); //Send modified

): //Else
      midisend(offset,msg1,msg2,msg3); //Return unmodified
    );
);

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 06-09-2017 at 05:37 AM.
ThrashJazzAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #667
regrant

Awesome, thanks!!!! I haven't even tried it yet but that should work perfectly, I'm doing something similar in the JSFX I wrote to manually set light colors. Not sure why I didn't think of doing it this way, but I am very very appreciative that you did, this is gonna be great!

EDIT: Works perfectly, thanks again.

Last edited by regrant; 06-10-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #668
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by regrant View Post
Awesome, thanks!!!! I haven't even tried it yet but that should work perfectly, I'm doing something similar in the JSFX I wrote to manually set light colors. Not sure why I didn't think of doing it this way, but I am very very appreciative that you did, this is gonna be great!

EDIT: Works perfectly, thanks again.
You're welcome.

I've attached the APC mini config. Put the json file in

Mac OS X: /Users/USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/Playtime/controllers

Windows: C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Playtime\contro llers

apcmini.zip
Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #669
regrant

Great, thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #670
ThrashJazzAssassin

If you attempt to use playtime as a looper, turn off Smooth Seeking (Options/Smooth Seeking) as it causes glitches. It may cause problems elsewhere but I've only had Playtime for a couple of days.

Thought I should report this as I couldn't find it in the docs or this thread.

How to reproduce:
  • Turn on Smooth Seeking
  • Auto-play recorded clips = On
  • Select clip
  • Detect tempo from recording
  • record a couple of bars
  • There's a glitch before the clip loops as it should

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 06-12-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 AM   #671
skowi

WOW! It looks not only promising but also useful! Will definitely check it during my weekend!
skowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:09 AM   #672
bigallium

Hi, if using Playtime with the default Launchpad control settings, using the arrow keys navigates the grid beyong the 8x8 but do the light on the launchpad correspond to the new grid position in Playtime please?
Also, I see on the bitbucket there are plans for Launchpad pro support - any idea of a timeframe and will this include corresponding clip colour feedback on LPP?
Thx in advance.
bigallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #673
ThrashJazzAssassin

Unfortunately not. And no session overview mode unfortunately. The lights on my APCmini don't update. They're hard wired to the 8x8 grid. I assume it's the same for a launchpad.

LPP might work out the box, and if it doesn't, it's quite easy to make your own controller map, with feedback.

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 07-08-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #674
bigallium

Thanks TJA, that's what I thought.
bigallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #675
ThrashJazzAssassin

However, I have found that you can switch between playtime instances (on separate tracks - they seem to conflict if they're on the same track) and update control surfaces by clicking on the sweeping brush icon. Though I don't think that's possible without using a mouse.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #676
funkcity

Default Playtime Question

What I'm looking for is an all-in-one-box editor and play-on play-off button-actuated clip player. I may have as many as 40 play-on/off live cues for live awards presentations. A hardware box that works is called Instant Replay.
But the editing in no way rivals a DAW like Reaper.

Function would be simply: import audio to the reaper track, edit, eq and level adjust. Then assign this clip to a button on the screen. (Also, assigning to hardware buttons for live is always better if possible.)

Any Thoughts?
Thanks
Jay
funkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #677
themixtape

VID clips question....

How to trigger them so they lock and loop? When I trigger a 20 second clip, unless i hold the midi key, it stops to the beat.... any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #678
RustyP

Default Help for visually impaired Reapers

Hi Ben,
First of all, thanks so much for your hard work on this project!
As a blind creator, I would love to be able to use Playtime.
I use Reaper with the addition of an extension called Osara and it gives blind users access with a screen reader, and the ability to use most functions in Reaper.
I know that there are many of us who would like the ability to launch clips ETC.
I would personally love to use reaper and PlayTime as a live looper and play clips and loops along with my live playing.

anyway, I just wanted to mention that there are a few of us interested, and exploring PlayTime to see what suggestions we can make to make it possible for us to use PlayTime.

thanks so much!
Rusty
RustyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #679
RustyP

Default interacting with PlayTime from outside the playtime window

Hi folks,
@PitchSlap and @Helgoboss,

@PitchSlap, I would really love to use Playtime as a live looper. How are you efforts coming on this front?

I happen to be blind. I can use Reaper just fine with my screen reader, but the Playtime window is unaccessible with the extention that makes Reaper accessible.
However, since so many aspects of PT are able to be controlled by midi, I think it could be possible to use without interacting with the interface at this point.

Pitchslap, have you been able to improve the midi learn functions for Playtime from outside of Playtime? How is this done? Can i set up a button to select and activate a slot, record in to that slot, play and stop that slot?

I am really excited about using Playtime because I love using Reaper.

thanks all!
Rusty
RustyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #680
jesussaddle

Wow, I didn't know this plugin existed. Once I learn Reaper better I would like to try it; thanks for your work!
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote