Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
TonE
Human being with feelings

Default Midi editor with different behaviour: Midi Tapping!

First two links and programs.
http://www.musanim.com/tapper/
http://hpi.zentral.zone/miditapper

Can we get a similar behaviour directly inside Reaper? It would use midi items, but not playing them in the recorded timing, but whenever you trigger it, but it would use the 'recorded pitches from the midi items'. In short we want to use the pitches (and velocities) of the midi items, but not its midi time. It would jump from half-beat to half-beat would be my proposal, meaning having 1/8th note steps as smallest step resolution. Any finer note resolutions it would auto-calculate from the 1/8th step point.

This is a bit like live tempo mapping. Would it be possible with jsfx or other programming methods for Reaper?

As the Tapper in first link above is free anyway, we could use its output and record into Reaper, but was wondering if we can achieve this functinality directly inside Reaper? This is kind of a 'crazy arpeggiator', where the arpeggiator takes its next note from the midi item. Another option would be using velocities from live input, and not from the midi item. You could perform same 'recorded midi items notes' in different ways. The difference would be in timing precision, tempo and velocities. The problem of hitting the correct notes would be in the item already, you could hit any notes on the midi keyboard, those do not matter for this application, only the 'play feel' counts.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
Breeder

Let me see if I understood you correctly.

Would this feature allow you to record only velocity to an already recorded MIDI events? So for example, you would turn on this "mode" and press play. So when you would play, reaper would only change the velocity of already recorded events according to your playing?

Same goes for pitch/beat position etc...

If that's what you mean, it sounds super useful, especially when you use mouse to input MIDI notes and want to breath life into those notes without messing around with humanization and editing velocities of each note by hand.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Banned

Fwiw, I often use Numerology for this sort of stuff (hosted inside REAPER, if that's what I need). Sequencer modules contain information about notes (pitch, gate time, control values), which can then be individually triggered manually (e.g. keyboard input) or by other modules sending various signals (which can also be quantized using sample & hold modules).

Can something similar be done entirely in REAPER? Perhaps. But I really don't see how it could get any better (in terms of usability, modularity, and GUI) than this stuff already is out-of-the-box, so I'm not much interested in reinventing the wheel.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Fwiw, I often use Numerology for this sort of stuff (hosted inside REAPER, if that's what I need). Sequencer modules contain information about notes (pitch, gate time, control values), which can then be individually triggered manually (e.g. keyboard input) or by other modules sending various signals (which can also be quantized using sample & hold modules).

Can something similar be done entirely in REAPER? Perhaps. But I really don't see how it could get any better (in terms of usability, modularity, and GUI) than this stuff already is out-of-the-box, so I'm not much interested in reinventing the wheel.
Unfortunately, Numerology is OSX only

So wait, when you use it you don't even deal with REAPERs own MIDI editor? You do it all through Numerology?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Unfortunately, Numerology is OSX only
Correct.

But I would add that it was totally worth making a hackint0sh partition on my non-Apple system, back when I fell in love with it but didn't have an Apple system. And especially when used only for MIDI sequencing (i.e. not also for hosting instruments and effects), CPU load isn't much of an issue, so even a very modest system can give great results. If you would perhaps have some slightly outdated computer system hanging around that you can use for some experimentation, I'd say, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
So wait, when you use it you don't even deal with REAPERs own MIDI editor? You do it all through Numerology?
Well, there are quite a few different possibilities for using it. One can indeed use Numerology for all MIDI sequencing, with REAPER used only as plug-in host and audio mixer, but one can also use it in conjunction with REAPER's MIDI for input or output (i.e. recording), which is very useful since Numerology does not feature traditional linear tracks.

Perhaps if I have some time later on, I'll try and shoot a quick screencap of how to set up something like TonE described in Numerology; it may be useful for discussion and perhaps as inspiration for further hacking / development.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Another option would be using velocities from live input, and not from the midi item.
So I already do this for velocity Using parameter modulation from an analog source.

You have an audio source track (or you can play live) - send that signal into the sidechain of the MIDI track.

Insert two instances of JS:MIDI_Tool on the MIDI track.

the first instance just forces all notes to velocity 127. Set Output Velocity Min and Output Velocity max to 127.

On the second instance, use parameter modulation from your audio source to modulate only the Output Velocity Max Parameter.

You can tailor the output really well with the param mod Attack, release, min, max...

Good luck!
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
MikComposer

I'm trying to understand what is it? Is it some sort of step sequencer or enhanced quantization utility?