Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
fat_fleet
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper, ASIO4all, and Zoom H4n?

in driver Preferences, the software recognizes the H4 as an input device, and i'm getting the signal on it (the H4n) as well. i arm new track for recording and nothing... no sound, no signal. this does not happen when i use another driver (DirectSound, but DirectSound has other problems that make me not want to use it).
i know i'm probably missing something stupid.

i'm running windows 7 64-bit so i can't use the Zoom ASIO driver.
fat_fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
FeatheredSerpent

When you say you're getting signal do you mean only on the H4 meters?
If Reaper is seeing it as an ASIO device in prefs then it's not the driver shouldn't think, you must be in interface mode on the H4 right?

Check you're in the correct monitoring mode and that you have selected the H4 as the input source for that track (click the 'in' button on the track and go down and choose either mono or stereo input from the H4).

I have an H2 but am not using it as an interface because in interface mode it will only run at 16bit 44.1 so I really don't recommend using it, better to get yourself a modest interface that has proper asio drivers and supports 24bit operation to be honest.
Interfaces are so cheap nowadays that it seems pointless to use these workarounds.

I spoke to Zoom and they will definitely be releasing 64bit drivers for Windows 7 soon, but it won't change the fact that it can only be run at 16/44.1 in interface mode.

This is too restrictive, but the Zoom recorders operate at 'High Speed' not 'Full Speed' USB2 so that's why.

Hope you get it working!
FeatheredSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
fat_fleet

yeah, i'm definitely in interface mode with everything connected correctly, getting signals on the meters of the Zoom only. when i click the 'in' button on the track, a mono input from the Zoom (H4 1) is already selected as a default source. also i can't record (or play) anything because Reaper, despite recognizing the device, does not detect a signal coming from it so when i click to record in Reaper, the marker just blinks and sits in place at 00:00:00 and the record and play buttons appear "half-lit". also, when i go into ASIO4all preferences and look at devices, the H4 appears as "idle".
i set my project to 16-bit, still no dice.

i definitely don't plan on using the Zoom regularly as an interface, but i want to make sure this isn't going to happen with any interface i might buy down the line.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
fat_fleet

and while i'm on the subject, does anyone else out there run Reaper on 64-bit Windows? if so, what do you use for an interface?
i'm interested in one with at least 8 XLR ins with pres, etc. that will work smoothly with my system and have few as possible driver-related issues.
presonus firestudio or firepod maybe?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
FeatheredSerpent

I'm stumped on the interface thing, have never even tried my H2 after seeing it was 16bit only, makes more sense to record to SD @ 24/48 and then chuck the card in the laptop.

I'm running 64 bit windows 7 here, and Reaperx64.
I'm on a laptop only system now and am using a dinky little ESI UGM-96, very very small and very cool.
For you though, I would say go with a second hand RME 9652, that's what I had in my old desktop system and it was solid, there are people using it on here with no problems too, and it has dedicated 64bit asio drivers.
There's no analogue in/out though, which isn't bad as you get to choose from the millions of adat converters on the market.

Don't turn your nose up at the behringer ada8000, there was a (kind of) famous thread on GS where most of the poeple listening in a blind test preferred it to the Lynx Aurora.
The 9652 has 3 adat ports and s/pdif, so you can expand up to 26 i/o as and when you need to, 8 channels at a time.

There's a million other options but that combination comes highly recommended.
FeatheredSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Chris Ihao

Humm. Using windows 7 64-bit here and my H4n seems to like Asio4all quite well. Both input and output works fine, and I get good results at 11 ms output latency (256 buffers). I could go a bit lower, but only 2 ms or so, and I dont know if that would hold up very well during big projects.

I discovered that when I first connected and tried out my h4n, it didnt work properly. I got horrible stutters if the inputs were enabled in asio4all (a red exclamation mark were shown in the tray). However, when I disconnected and connected it again it worked fine.

PS: I use another card for everyday use. The H4n is just a bonus.

Last edited by Chris Ihao; 03-04-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: correction
Chris Ihao is offline   Reply With Quote