Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
pbattersby
Human being with feelings

Default (free) 2.2 Virtual Playing Orchestra

I've recently discovered that all the hard work I put into the .sfz scripts to fine tune the pitch, volume and panning of various samples, was undone by version 2.0 of Virtual Playing Orchestra. This occurred because I renamed many samples to indicate that I had changed them from the original by looping them, and the custom software that I wrote to help me manipulate the scripts, was now looking for the old samples names.

To fix this, I've provided a patch (.sfz scripts only) that can be downloaded and installed over the previous version 2.0 and 2.01 versions to correct this.

Virtual Playing Orchestra 2.2
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Goldreap

Thankyou sir.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
imagegod

What do you mean 'installed over'? Please be specific: Do I delete the existing files and simply install the new files? Do I put the new folders/files in the existing soundfont folder (such that there is now two 'Brass' folders...two 'Strings' folders...etc.). Do I put the new Brass files in the old 'Brass' folder; new 'Strings' files in the old 'Strings' folder (thereby overwriting any duplicate files).

Or perhaps some other (specific) configuration.

Thanks.

Last edited by imagegod; 04-21-2017 at 11:27 AM.
imagegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagegod View Post
What do you mean 'installed over'? Please be specific:
For "patch" downloads (when/if they exist), just unzip the patch in the same place and in the same way as the full version to upgrade to the new release.

The patch contains the exact same files (but updated versions) and directory structure as version 2.0 so unzipping this in the same place and the same way you unzipped version 2.0, will simply overwrite the old files with the new files. Everything else will remain untouched.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
sostenuto

THX !!!
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
THX !!!
Ditto!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
imagegod

I'm grateful for the free player...unfortunately I have no idea what you mean by the 'same place' or 'the same way'...I unzipped the update where all the individual soundfont folders exist (Brass/Strings etc)...now I have the 'patch' folder inside the 'parent' folder...

That is, there are now two complete (but separate) sets of soundfonts:
http://imgur.com/a/slQwT

Alternatively, if I unzip it outside of the soundfont folder, then there are two separate 'main' Virtural Playing Orch folders:
http://imgur.com/a/4HHye

They can't both be right.

Obviously, other people understand what you're saying: I'm sure you're making sense to someone. I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mean to be ungrateful, but you're not being specific. Maybe someone else on the forum can help me...thanks.

Last edited by imagegod; 04-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.
imagegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
pbattersby

Quote:
I'm grateful for the free player...unfortunately I have no idea what you mean by the 'same place' or 'the same way'
In the first image, you unzipped the patch inside the previous installation. Don't do that. In both images it looks like you renamed the original installation directory from "virtual-playing-orchestra2" to "virtual-playing-orchestra-v2-0"

Try this. Pretend the patch is the original .zip file and do what you did to unzip the original zip file but this time to it to the patch .zip file.

When I unzip the files, I select my vsti directory and tell winzip to unzip the files to the current directory. The directory "virtual-playing-orchestra2" is then created with all the other files inside that "virtual-playing-orchestra2" directory. If I repeat this exact same process with the patch file, the old files are overwritten by the new files.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
imagegod

When I did that, it either creates two folders (again) or if I unzip it inside the main folder, it asks me if I want to replace the existing files.

It's all right, I'll just use the old files...I'm disabled and I don't know how to do this.

It's not your fault. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
pbattersby

Quote:
if I unzip it inside the main folder, it asks me if I want to replace the existing files.
When asked if you want to replace the files, answer yes. That probably means you are doing it right ... BUT ... perhaps make a duplicate backup copy of the original just in case something goes wrong.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
imagegod

Ok...thanks, very much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
noise_construct

Thank you very much!
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
Goldreap

imagegod, I completely understand your frustration, these things are only obvious to those who already know how to do it.
The orig downloaded zip (not the update patch) on my desktop was Virtual-Playing-Orchestra-v2-0.zip
I had extracted this to my own 'location'.
Inside my location I have... Virtual-Playing-Orchestra-v2-0/ Virtual-Playing-Orchestra2/ then the subfolders (Brass etc). Is your directory like this?
Now, to do the update:
When you extract you will be asked for a destination..browse to and select 'Virtual-Playing-Orchestra-v2-0' (in your location).
You'll then be asked if you wish to merge...yes.
Then asked again to merge..yes (tick 'do this for all current items').
Then asked if want to replace files with same names...yes to all.
If you're worried about mucking up just copy your whole orig installation to somewhere else while you experiment.
The crucial thing is this: inside your patch zip is 'Virtual-Playing-Orchestra2'....so when you extract you must point to (select) the folder above that in your existing installation.
Hope this helps, it drove me nuts for ages.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #14
imagegod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
imagegod, I completely understand your frustration, these things are only obvious to those who already know how to do it.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Your explanation demonstrates that it's not obvious or self-evident...I'm in your debt for your post.

I'm grateful for the free library, and for your explanation...it really helps. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
pbattersby

The confusion over installing a patch is unfortunate and I would like to have avoided the need for any patches at all. I didn't want to make people download all the samples again, just to update the text file scripts so I provided updated scripts as a separate download. Eventually, I'll probably merge the patch with the main download to make things easier, but only after enough time has passed that I figure those that want to apply the patch have had time to do that.

It would also be easier if I could have provided an install program instead of a zip file but then I run into cross platform issues and if I need to have multiple install programs, that greatly increases my storage requirements.

So, I seem to be stuck with the need to provide a patch as an additional download.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #16
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
The confusion over installing a patch is unfortunate and I would like to have avoided the need for any patches at all. I didn't want to make people download all the samples again, just to update the text file scripts so I provided updated scripts as a separate download. Eventually, I'll probably merge the patch with the main download to make things easier, but only after enough time has passed that I figure those that want to apply the patch have had time to do that.

It would also be easier if I could have provided an install program instead of a zip file but then I run into cross platform issues and if I need to have multiple install programs, that greatly increases my storage requirements.

So, I seem to be stuck with the need to provide a patch as an additional download.
Paul, that's all perfectly sensible and understandable. The zip update thing is fine..it's just one of those silly things where to the novice "update over" or "install over" or "extract over" is not really understood immediately in terms of exact steps to take. There's a lot of dummies out there (me included)!
Seriously love your work and generosity.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Seriously love your work and generosity.
Thanks!

After the trouble imagegod had installing the patch, I updated the instructions on my web site to hopefully be more clear and more visible.

Thanks for helping clear up the confusion.