Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #1641
danboid
Human being with feelings

Default good sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Wowsers...feels like
I'm watching the Masters 18th green leaderboard at Augusta National,
and the birdies and eagles keep on dazzling the crowd.
Sportscasters would say, 'They're putting on a clinic, now.'
Time to fit Justin for a champions Green Jacket.
That is my fave non-Justin-fixing-stuff post in this thread yet. Where's Will Ferrell when you need him?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #1642
Justin
Administrator

Aha, duplicated that docking crash. Looks like it's some non-trivial memory corruption, installing valgrind now...

Edit: valgrind is awesome! Fix is in this patch:

http://1014.org/_/menu-fix.txt

(coming soon to git)

Last edited by Justin; 04-27-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #1643
Veto

It's totally fixed, great work!

This bug seems to be fixed too!
(alas that old Gtk3.10 bug not. Anyway..)

Need to check out valgrind someday too (played a bit with it on codeblocks right now).
Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #1644
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Not quite sure what click-to-front is, but the behaviour of reaper ought to be configurable no matter what the window manager does by configuring gdk_options=x (bitmap) found in the [.swell] section in ~/.REAPER/reaper.ini.
Open reaper, load a plugin with a large gui, click reaper gui,
it moves to the front, click the plugin gui, and that moves to the front.

That works in windows reaper 5.40, it works with linux reaper
when using E17 window manager, but not with cinnamon or lxde
window managers.

I'm not seeing anything in the .ini that relates to that.
Setting the flag=2 (2=raise owned windows) didn't change that.
If there are some config options available, but not listed,
it would be nice to have them listed, but commented out.
Cheers

(A side effect of testing, is to concoct useful ways of using
native linux reaper with the wine version)
I'm gonna install a newer E21 in Mint18 for more testing,
as the E17 is on Mint17.
Cheers
Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #1645
Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Aha, duplicated that docking crash. Looks like it's some non-trivial memory corruption, installing valgrind now...

Edit: valgrind is awesome! Fix is in this patch:

http://1014.org/_/menu-fix.txt

(coming soon to git)
Does libSwell qualify for coverity scans?

https://scan.coverity.com/
Old 04-28-2017, 12:58 AM   #1646
4duhwinnn

Installed the E21 window manager, with great satisfaction,
if not elation, at using the most configurable DAW
in the most configurable linux environment, it is hard to express
the effect that has. What a joy to work where the tools and workspace
are not in conflict, not subverting one's productivity,
and are even an artwork to enjoy, when at leisure.

Add to that using the great linux effects apps/plugins with
a wide range of fine windows vsts working via Airwave,
or Lin-Vst, and even a blind squirrel will be in harvest mode,
filberts and pecans and walnuts just begging to be discovered.

There is a pre-configured Enlightenment based audio/video
distribution, I haven't tried it yet, but it's had a few new releases,
and it should be great fun, and has several useful boot options
to cover a variety of needs/wishes:

http://io.gnu.linux.free.fr/

Bodhi Linux also uses Enlightenment, but is a barebones distro,
for people who like to add only what they use.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

Cheers
Old 04-28-2017, 03:59 AM   #1647
David Else

Quick question for osxmidi, how 'experimental' is the LinVst-Embed version? Is it likely to crash more or cause any problems? I have not tried it yet as I am so happy with the normal LinVst.

I assume the embed version will let me keep the focus on the Reaper application rather than Wine, then I can keep using the spacebar for start/stop without having to click back onto the main Reaper application window from the Wine processes running the VST?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #1648
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Quick question for osxmidi, how 'experimental' is the LinVst-Embed version? Is it likely to crash more or cause any problems? I have not tried it yet as I am so happy with the normal LinVst.

I assume the embed version will let me keep the focus on the Reaper application rather than Wine, then I can keep using the spacebar for start/stop without having to click back onto the main Reaper application window from the Wine processes running the VST?
The Embed version is named experimental because of Wines strange embedding ways, that hardly anyone documents.

The embedding version actually works pretty well, it's just that I'm not totally sure it's foolproof and it generates a Wine fixme printout warning but that doesn't seem to matter, so I'm just not totally sure of it due to Wines strange embedding support and the lack of info about it, but it does work ok as far as I know in my tests at least.

I think you mentioned latency some post back.

I've been playing around with LinVst on the Mac and I'm getting very low latency even on one of my very old 32 bit only Macs (Snow Leopard dual core MacBook).

It surprised me how low latency LinVst was on the Mac, easy to get less than 5ms latency and I couldn't pick up on any latency difference between the native OSX Podolski and the Windows Podolski running with LinVst.

Macs and OSX/MacOS are known for pretty low latency.

On Linux I'm using a low latency kernel on Ubuntu Studio but that's not a real time kernel and the latency is pretty average for something like the Windows Podolski running under LinVst.

So I switched to a real time kernel to compare and now I'm getting latency similar to the Mac, so a real time RT kernel is the way to go for audio in general I think.

Last edited by osxmidi; 04-28-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #1649
Finnish

How hard it is to install SWS extensions in linux reaper? Mixer snapshots would've saved me 1-2 hours this morning..
Old 04-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #1650
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
On Linux I'm using a low latency kernel on Ubuntu Studio but that's not a real time kernel and the latency is pretty average for something like the Windows Podolski running under LinVst.

So I switched to a real time kernel to compare and now I'm getting latency similar to the Mac, so a real time RT kernel is the way to go for audio in general I think.
I don't see that it hurts at all to use a RT kernel, but IMO if you can't get one easily and you're happy with larger buffer sizes then the so called low latency one is ok. But if you want really low latencies without any audio dropouts, then RT is more or less required, and maybe some trouble shooting as wifi, bluetooth or other devices with badly written drivers can mess it up
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #1651
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
How hard it is to install SWS extensions in linux reaper? Mixer snapshots would've saved me 1-2 hours this morning..
Not all that hard. You have to get the source code, copy some header files into it, run "make" and finally copy (or symlink) the shared library. Instructions are in a readme file.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #1652
Thuneau

I got my Raspberry Pi and Audio Injector Octo ( http://audioinjector.net/ ) today and with very little effort I got it to pass audio to all 8 outputs and do ReaEQ and ReaDelay on all outputs. All it took was installing Jack and the drivers for the Octo Card. CPU use under 30%.

This will be my DSP crossover for my party speakers. Just about $100.00 all included- Raspberry Pi, SD Card, power supply and the 6-in 8-out sound card.

Can Reaper be installed in Raspbian OS like other apps, to appear in the programs menu? Right now I'm running it from the unzipped folder.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #1653
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuneau View Post
I got my Raspberry Pi and Audio Injector Octo ( http://audioinjector.net/ ) today and with very little effort I got it to pass audio to all 8 outputs and do ReaEQ and ReaDelay on all outputs. All it took was installing Jack and the drivers for the Octo Card. CPU use under 30%.

This will be my DSP crossover for my party speakers. Just about $100.00 all included- Raspberry Pi, SD Card, power supply and the 6-in 8-out sound card.

Can Reaper be installed in Raspbian OS like other apps, to appear in the programs menu? Right now I'm running it from the unzipped folder.
That's really cool! Yesterday I started working on writing definitions to give reaper a sub menu entry for itself (similar to the windows one) and to create mime types so that clicking on a related file would start reaper.

Give me a day or two and I think it will be decent. Biggest problem is how to install it so that's it's painless for the user..

Maybe the js:eventhorizon would be a good addition to your chain.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #1654
Thuneau

Quote:
That's really cool! Yesterday I started working on writing definitions to give reaper a sub menu entry for itself (similar to the windows one) and to create mime types so that clicking on a related file would start reaper.

Give me a day or two and I think it will be decent. Biggest problem is how to install it so that's it's painless for the user..

Maybe the js:eventhorizon would be a good addition to your chain.
Yes, I will add limiters to the outputs to protect the drivers. Event Horizon might be overkill, but if it doesn't use more CPU than the ReaComp why not?

The one thing I need to set up is auto starting Reaper on reboot and making sure the inputs are record enabled and in monitoring mode.

Also, I would like to use the GPIO pins to whip up a master volume control on a 10k pot. I know they need to be scripted to send continuous controls to software, but I don't know how to hook into individual faders in Reaper. Some sort of GPIO to MIDI control bridge will be needed.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #1655
magicchord

I notice when running ReaperLinux on Mint 18.1/64 and my mobo's internal sound, when I try to change the project sample rate, Reaper's sample rate doesn't change. It's 48K and that's that. Something I need to go to the command line and change?
Old 04-29-2017, 06:18 AM   #1656
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicchord View Post
I notice when running ReaperLinux on Mint 18.1/64 and my mobo's internal sound, when I try to change the project sample rate, Reaper's sample rate doesn't change. It's 48K and that's that. Something I need to go to the command line and change?
I think you need to change samplerate for jackd
Old 04-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #1657
David Else

Are .eel scripts meant to work yet? This one seems to open with an empty black window:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/EU...%20Deesser.eel

I also got another full system crash on starting Reaper (5.407, all as downloaded, with SWS I compiled myself). The only way I could regain control of the computer was ctrl-alt-f3 to open another system terminal and type 'shutdown'.

It just froze when I tried to open a recent project from the opening screen, not sure I was doing anything different to normal, and no idea how to send any crash data?
Old 04-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #1658
4duhwinnn

While testing Airwave modded plugins, I notice sometimes when I remove
a plugin, if I leave the plugin panel as-is, the replacement
plugin is not drawn correctly, and hangs the system.
It's better if I dismiss that panel, and reopen by clicking
the FX button. Even then sometimes the new plugin also draws incorrectly,
and I have to remove the track itself, before loading a new plugin.
That's in Mint 17, with crummy Intel 2nd gen video chip
and wine 1.8 (not exactly the Ruth, Gehrig and DiMaggio of DAW displays!)
Certainly not the highest priority, but maybe coincides with other issues later.

For those interested, these airwave mods are working in 5.407

Abakos (from Hercs)
Absynth 5
Alchemy player
Angelina (from BigTick)
Augur
BarChimes (by quikquak)
CMFuzz (great distortion/compressor/filter combo)
CumulusVST
Curve2CM
Firebird
Massive
Oatmeal 3.8 (with alternate skin)
Poulin Solo_C_Fullstack (great soldano ampsim)
RG-Muted_CM
Reaktor 5
SQ8L
Synth1
Voyager (with Asseca skin setup)
Wusikstation 5
z3ta+ 1.5

Some serious preset, randomization, and creation tonage among them!
Add in the tonage from the vast U-he collection, discoDSP, and a few dozen
other native linux vsts...well, how that effects your day-job,
is strictly up to you!
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 04-29-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clearness
Old 04-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #1659
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Are .eel scripts meant to work yet? This one seems to open with an empty black window:

Hmm it works here, maybe some font issue or something... try the latest swell from today?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #1660
avoca

Drag 'n' drop is working now (from Media Explorer to timeline).
Xubuntu 17.04 (Xfce)

And <tab> to cycle through yes/no/cancel on the 'Save project before closing' is a nice addition.

Ta!!

avoca
Old 04-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #1661
avoca

Quote:

The same happens here: just an empty black window.

avoca
Old 04-30-2017, 02:57 AM   #1662
David Else

Quote:
Hmm it works here, maybe some font issue or something... try the latest swell from today?
I compiled today's swell (Apr 30, 2017) and it is still blank.

I saw there is some update in git that talks about choosing fonts, but i can't find it... is that working yet? Cheers!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 AM   #1663
David Else

(5.407 with downloaded swell file)

I don't know if this is a bug, but there are large delays when clicking on help > about reaper > changelog

It might take a few seconds to open the about dialog, then a few seconds 'freeze' before displaying the changelog. If you click around between the dialogs there is a noticeable delay.

With all the crazy power of Reaper I can't believe it is meant to take that amount of time to open a text file
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #1664
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
(5.407 with downloaded swell file)

I don't know if this is a bug, but there are large delays when clicking on help > about reaper > changelog

It might take a few seconds to open the about dialog, then a few seconds 'freeze' before displaying the changelog. If you click around between the dialogs there is a noticeable delay.

With all the crazy power of Reaper I can't believe it is meant to take that amount of time to open a text file
Word-wrapping code is slow, fixing!

Re: the de-esser .eel, fixing too (seems gfx_clear messes things up for some reason).
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #1665
David Else

Quote:
Word-wrapping code is slow, fixing!

Re: the de-esser .eel, fixing too (seems gfx_clear messes things up for some reason).
Awesome!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #1666
osxmidi

Real Time kernels for Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Debian (maybe for Ubuntu based systems like Mint etc as well).

These are somewhat hard to find especially for Ubuntu, so I thought I'd post the links.

Rolling your own real time kernel is not that easy for everyone.

Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio http://simosnet.com/debian/packages/...ubuntu/kernel/

Debian http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/?cat=l

Look for -rt headers and matching -rt kernels (amd64, i386)

Do a uname -a in the Terminal and get the current kernel version and try to get a near matching real time headers and matching real time kernel version.

Install the real time kernel headers first and then the matching real time kernel image ( I think the Debian real time kernel also needs the matching common headers package as well).

I'm running the real time kernel with no conflicts on Nvidia based quad core systems and my latency has gone way down very near to my Macs I'd say.

10ms latency using a low latency kernel wasn't happening in a steady way on my old Dell, but it's all steady with a real time kernel and maybe I can go lower than 10ms but I don't care too much because it's just a test system.

Last edited by osxmidi; 04-30-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #1667
4duhwinnn

Thanks to the many tips from osxmidi and Jack Winter,
and PhantomOne for airwaves .deb, I now have the great
BlueCat Destructor ampsim environment
working in linux reaper by airwave, and also in wine
with the windows reaper version.

Destructor is great, both in the sound quality,
and simplicity for use. It takes a different approach
that focuses more on the tone, than accurate gear gui's.
Amplitube also has good sound, including the nice gui's,
but lacks the immediacy of Destructors interface.

------------------------------------------------
Sitting in my permanent seat in a peanut gallery,
three kernel devs that come to mind in the 'great' category,
are Fernando from CCRMA, Texstar from pclinuxos,
and lowtech from Studio 1337. All have RT experience,
and lengthy track records.
Cheers
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #1668
avoca

The gui windows for scripts are showing up now, thanks
Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #1669
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Thanks to the many tips from osxmidi and Jack Winter,
and PhantomOne for airwaves .deb, I now have the great
BlueCat Destructor ampsim environment
working in linux reaper by airwave, and also in wine
with the windows reaper version.

Destructor is great, both in the sound quality,
and simplicity for use. It takes a different approach
that focuses more on the tone, than accurate gear gui's.
Amplitube also has good sound, including the nice gui's,
but lacks the immediacy of Destructors interface.

------------------------------------------------
Sitting in my permanent seat in a peanut gallery,
three kernel devs that come to mind in the 'great' category,
are Fernando from CCRMA, Texstar from pclinuxos,
and lowtech from Studio 1337. All have RT experience,
and lengthy track records.
Cheers
Interesting! I really need a good amp sim in linux reaper, could you explain your procedures a bit more? What and how to install etc
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #1670
Finnish

Quote:
Not all that hard. You have to get the source code, copy some header files into it, run "make" and finally copy (or symlink) the shared library. Instructions are in a readme file.
I did it!!! Thanks!!!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #1671
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Interesting! I really need a good amp sim in linux reaper, could you explain your procedures a bit more? What and how to install etc
On a fresh Mint 18, I installed wine staging 2.4
I copied the System32 folder from my ever-more-dusty win 7 drive,
to a usb drive, for easy/safe access, and future mining,
and copied the files below to .wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

I renamed any existing files, like .dllWINE so they'd be easily found
in a file manager, should reverting be needed.

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
concrt140.dll
Msvbm60.dll
msvcp140.dll
ucrtbase.dll
d2d1.dll
d3d9.dll
d3d10.dll
d3d10core.dll
d3dx9_35.dll
d3dx9_41

A few of these I downloaded, before copying my System32 folder

(Hat tips to Jack Winter and osxmidi for the list and how-to's)

For those that were replacements, I opened winecfg,
and in the library tab, clicked the widget for
'New override for library:'
and from the little list that opens, selected each item,
and clicked the add button.

After installing Destructor, I start airwave-manager
from a terminal

(.deb package from https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave )

Click the widget at the upper-right,
and in the panel that opens, select a vst path.
(I chose non-standard path, so it would be easy
to deal with, in case of bugfests, while still keeping
the native linux plugins at the ready)

Then click the upper left corner widget to choose a plugin,
a panel opens, click the folder icon on the VST line, to browse,
click OK when done, then click the whirling-arrows widget,
which updates the collection listing/folder.

Reaper has a list of plugins, reaper-vstplugins64.ini
When a plugin fails to scan, you can remove it from airwave use,
by clicking the X icon on airwave-manager, and rescan.

I found that sometimes the reaper list,
and the .config/airwave/airwave.conf list did not
uniformly comply, and had to hand-edit a few stragglers.

I run reaper from a terminal, so launch-scanning the new plugins
can be terminated when things grind to a halt, but usually
after a few restart attempts, the scan completes, and testing the
plugins can be done. Some will freeze reaper, but I'm happy
with the ratio of keepers. Most of the others will still run in
wine with the windows version of reaper,
now the second best linux daw!
The free sims from LePou, TSE, and Ignite sould work.
SoloC_Fullstack from LePou is a nice Soldano.
Even Amplitube 4 is OK.
Good luck!
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 AM   #1672
Jack Winter

Quote:
I did it!!! Thanks!!!
Congratulations!
Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 AM   #1673
Jack Winter

Quote:
I saw there is some update in git that talks about choosing fonts, but i can't find it... is that working yet? Cheers!
It's in the "show theme tweak/configuration window" action.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #1674
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
Drag 'n' drop is working now (from Media Explorer to timeline).
Xubuntu 17.04 (Xfce)
SmajjL can not do this on linuxmint-18.1-mate-64bit with REAPER media explorer.

Ps: just rebuild also

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-01-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:43 AM   #1675
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
SmajjL can not do this on linuxmint-18.1-mate-64bit with REAPER media explorer.
I can't either on KDE5. I can however drag and drop files from an external file browser to the reaper window.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 AM   #1676
SmajjL

Thanks Jack, but from the media explorer is life of importance for me and hope that will work now or later.
I just noticed I am one build behind, will try it now and update my statement, hopefully it will work.
Aii will be rajjt back-Jack.

One moment later in time:

Nope, don't work and since the built'in swell works on Mint, I tried that also, nope, no working, yet..

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-01-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #1677
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Thanks Jack, but from the media explorer is life of importance for me and hope that will work now or later.
I just noticed I am one build behind, will try it now and update my statement, hopefully it will work.
Aii will be rajjt back-Jack.

One moment later in time:

Nope, don't work and since the built'in swell works on Mint, I tried that also, nope, no working, yet..
Hmm, just tested on debian squeeze, and drag and drop from the media explorer works (both to reaper and to the shell) on xfce, gnome, and plasma/kwin. It will not currently give you a nice drag and drop cursor (that part is TBD), but it should transfer the file.

also -- I just pushed some potential small tweak fixes to libSwell that might help
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #1678
SmajjL

I am always open to it could be SmajjL-error though.
But nope, I can't do it from the REAPER media explorer to the arrange.
Then I tryed to copy samples to the download folder I figured maby the thing does not like the linked thing only fysical direct'ness, nope.
And then, I tryed to do a selection on the wav peek preview thing window below and drag that, and what the..? that worked..

Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #1679
avoca

Hi,

Drag 'n' drop from the Media Explorer file browser is working here only when the Media Explorer is undocked.
If it is undocked, nothing happens.

Drag 'n' drop from the Media Explorer preview window (i.e. with part of the file selected) works when both undocked and docked.

Hope this helps
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #1680
SmajjL

Ha! and together we shall rule the world! the docking was the problem, thanks! un-docked works in the way Justin said.

Closed Thread