Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor: CC editing very buggy in multi-channel situations (FIXED)

Now that REAPER's multi-channel CC display bugs have been improved (but not yet completely solved), users will venture to use the CC drawing and editing mouse modifiers in such multi-channel situations. In particular, users will often need to draw CC curves in multiple channels in overlapping time ranges.

Unfortunately, there appear to be many bugs and inconsistencies when drawing CC events in more than one channel on the same PPQ position. It is difficult to describe everything in words, so here are GIFs instead:

Draw/edit CC events ignoring selection
At the left edge of the item, something strange is going on. At the other positions it seems that, when inserting a new CC in channel X at a position where there is already CCs in other channels (the default channel for new events is set to X), a new CC is inserted in channel X, but one of the other CCs is also edited to the same value. The mouse modifier therefore affects CCs in two channels, inserting a CC as well as editing another.

Edit CC events
Both channel are edited when the mouse moves over the CC, but only the active channel is edited when the mouse moves in the grid space.

Move CC event on one axis only
Somehow the leftmost CC in channel 1 becomes selected and then changes value.

I suggest that the devs should play around with all the mouse modifiers in multi-channel situations. The bugs will quickly crawl out of hiding, and I expect that there are more bugs than what I listed here.

In general, I suggest that all CC editing actions should affect only the active channel.

Alternatively, a more fancy solution would be to let the channel dropdown menu determine the effect (as also proposed in the thread Multi-channel CCs disappear and/or display with incorrect channel color):
* If the menu is set to "All channels", the editing actions affect all channels simultaneously (and no new CCs are inserted by the Draw/edit action if there are already CCs in any channel at the PPQ position).
* If the menu is set to a specific active channel, the editing functions affect only that active channel.

Last edited by juliansader; 10-30-2016 at 12:16 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #2
juliansader

Speed of drawing has effect on whether "Draw/edit CC events ignoring selection" inserts new event or edits event in other channel.

juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
ivansc

julian - havent said anything before, but your tireless efforts on the MIDI implementation are greatly appreciated. We have all tried to get the message across for a long time, but your efforts and those of others recently seem to be bearing fruit.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
MikComposer

"In general, I suggest that all CC editing actions should affect only the active channel"

yeah, just have a toggle button.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

These behaviors should be improved for the next build. Thanks for the detailed report.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote