Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #41
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Actually you are completely and totally wrong, an employee may buy a licence for you of course, much like he may buy you a car, however same as buying a car that licence has to be in your name, not the employees name, so no i am not libelous, the whole thing was a joke and he provided zero proof that he owned the licence/bought the licence or indeed even employs the person whose licence was shown.
If he did have a licence and it was in his name he would have showed said licence, not some reciept from some random person, again i reiterate, lets not get rosey eyed here, he got caught, thats that.

The ownership/licence of a car is a bit irrelevant here, as the ownership and licence for software is one and the same thing. The owner and the licenced keeper or user of a car do not have to be the same person.

Also, as your legal system was based on ours, I think you'll find he's innocent until proven guilty, even in the US, not the other way around. He doesn't have to prove anything to anybody until it goes to court, not least to yourself or the internet mob.

I'm still not sure that if title for the software is transferred, that complying with the software company's policies of changing names on the install, their website and database, etc, is actually a legal requirement.

Of course he may well be in the wrong on all counts. He definitely seemed to be using a cracked install (what a howler!) and he may be trying to pass off a buddy's receipt as his own -we just don't know on this count, and unless the synth vendor feels they need to persue this (and they might not as he's a big-named user) we may never know.

I just feel as someone who runs a business and subcontracts work, there may be legit reasons for the crew chief's name on licences.

>
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #42
Win Conway

1 I'm in the UK
2 The licenced keeper and owner of a car in the UK are the same thing, whoevers details are on the V5, are the rightful owners in a court of law (Yes i have experience of this)
3 Innocent until proven guilty, but as there is video evidence he is indeed proven guilty, like it or not he was running a crack and has if you care to read, admitted that he was running a crack "By mistake" again, terrible excuse, ignorance is no defence against the law
4 The legal requirement for software ownership in the EU is that the purchaser is the owner until they sell it on to the next person, again if this had happened then he would have shown a licence or receipt with his name on
5 The vendor wont do anything, he doesn't even sort out his paying customers why the hell would he bother with somebody using a crack
6 There is no reason legit or not to have somebody else name on YOUR licence for software, a business name yes, a corporate name, damn right, a personal name of an employee, hell no

As to if he is guilty or not, well it is very obvious he is guilty of running a crack in a promo video, which is total stupidity, then it is also very obvious that producing a receipt for somebody elses ownership (By law) of said software is just stupidity too

Morally is he in the wrong, that is not my call, the developer does not update the software but you buy the software for what it does, so in this case i have to say yes, he is totally out of order running a crack, no matter by mistake or not.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #43
airon

It is somewhat of an arrogant and emotional stance to judge a guy with with so little information and so much conjecture, and all too easy as well.

"Yeah, right." would cover that quite well too, don't you think ?

It could an innocent mistake, carelessness, stupidity, a day of losing the installer, a disgruntled employee, convenience or indeed being a complete cheapskate.

There's really no positive value to anyone but ones own ego in turning speculation in to certainty through conjecture.

You gotta relax, man. Make a tune instead.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #44
planetnine

Item 2 is not true. I own a car, it is on my books, yet my wife is the legal "keeper". You do need to check your facts here GP.

Apologies for thinking you were in the US. This situation will be under US law, though.

If he's not an employee, but a subcontractor, then his name and his trading name may be the same. If it's in his mandate to provide the laptops, especially if he retains title to them, then that's still legitimate use. If he's hired to provide completely configured laptops, then he'll probably do that in his or his company's name. You don't know the relationship between artiste and crew chief, so you can only speculate on it (as can I).

I'm not arguing the fact that he appeared in a video with a cracked plugin. That looks very bad and someone may be held to account (legally or otherwise) for it. The receipt just proves his guy bought it, not that he necessarily still owns it. Anything else is supposition.

I'm trying to give you a piece of advice that the things you have written in this thread could be libellous. Unless you have financial and logistical information about this situation that everyone else here doesn't, you seem to be stating your opinion here as fact.

...and as this could be a potentially flammable scenario where the artiste's reputation is at stake, I wouldn't put my name to that in writing on a public forum.

Are you this reactionary and argumentative in real life GP?

>
Old 09-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I suggest you keep one eye on recent events in the EU, if you want to know where the US and other countries are also heading.
LOL. If the US would be heading the way of EU copyright law, that would be absolutely AWESOME (for one, that would imply US copyright starts caring about author's rights rather than giving handouts to the publishing industry). But it's exactly the other way around, and that has been the case for decades. It's the US that is most corrupted by corporate lobbying for ever more draconian intellectual property laws and enforcement, pushing for treaty negotiations that are kept completely secret from citizens. So, I don't have a clue where you got that impression, but it's utter nonsense.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #46
ned

Not to help perpetuate this lounged-up thread... but here's Aoki's response addressing the issue...

http://steveaoki.com/blog/sylenth-response/
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #47
The Telenator
Banned

@Banned: If you are a musician with published works, that is, a composer, if you belong to a P.R.O., then YOU ARE part of the publishing industry and these 'handouts' you are complaining about in your remark 'giving handouts to the publishing industry' benefit you. I think some of you haven't thought all of this theft issue through. I don't know about your circumstances, but I am greatly helped by my publisher's clout and anything that is done to strengthen that. And in another sense, since I am fully vested and retain some of the rights, I am also a part of the publishing scheme.

As for the rest regarding governments in general, it is rather sad that they are slow to act, but at least they are indeed starting to get into gear. This slowness is simply a function of how governments work -- always late and well after the patient has become quite ill.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #48
Rodal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
2 The licenced keeper and owner of a car in the UK are the same thing, whoevers details are on the V5, are the rightful owners in a court of law (Yes i have experience of this)
Not true. https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q743.htm
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #49
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The watermark stuff is a myth.

Just tell the guy to buy his most valued stuff first. Once you start buying stuff, it gets easier to turn away from pirated stuff.
That's good advice.

By using pirated plugins you are exposed to copyright infringement lawsuits, but whether the rightful owners will pursue matter is a different issue. Trying to clean up the house shows good faith and will earn you respect from developers. Always stick to the high road.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #50
The Telenator
Banned

I, for one, would not gamble with whether you'll be arrested or sued for using stolen goods. Obviously, they often like to make an example by going after the bigger names -- I know we did. But I have to add to that the fact that ALL infractions were logged and aggressively pursued and documented, even the smallest of offenders. And, although it has been a few years since my own work in that area, the fines then in the States were a set standard: $175,000 per count. In other words, if you used the stolen tune or, in this topic -- software, you were charged once for every instance of your use. So, use it in ten places would be 10 X $175k, meaning your total fine would be $1,750,000. This is not an exaggeration. This is not a joke. Artists have had to pay out millions for theft. It can ruin them. It can ruin you, too, and I foresee a future in which more and more of the 'small fry' will be getting nailed.

So, enjoy your feeble self-assurances to the contrary, your lack of good research and lack of facts, and enjoy your childish attitudes. Some of them in this thread have been clearly disgraceful. Talk about reaffirming one's character! Ha! Threads like this ought to be fair warning.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #51
Banned

Quote:
@Banned: If you are a musician with published works, that is, a composer, if you belong to a P.R.O., then YOU ARE part of the publishing industry and these 'handouts' you are complaining about in your remark 'giving handouts to the publishing industry' benefit you. [...]
You never saw a lawsuit between an author and a publisher over copyright, I guess. Sure, the interests of authors and publishers are aligned and overlap to a large extent. But pretending that it's all the same thing is an oversimplification, and misses a lot of nuance - which, again, is very much a characteristic of US copyright. For example, categorically denying the existence of authors's moral rights favors publishers over authors, and so did the historical formal requirements to establish a copyright (registering at the Library of Congress and deposing 6 (!) physical copies).

Last edited by Banned; 09-03-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #52
plamuk

by conservative estimation, my music has been bootlegged tens of thousands of times. these are the people who have enabled me to achieve the modest level of international attention that i've received -- they jump started my career.

i'd be much wealthier if each person purchased my music, but i have the humility to acknowledge that this is NOT a reasonable expectation due to many reasons, including currency exchange rates. instead, i thank them for the kind messages of support they send me, and for their role in sharing my music with others.

you certainly won't see me blathering woefully about some perceived moral bankruptcy as if any point in human history was better

software is a different animal as it doesn't all have the same viral potential that music does. this is why i support independent developers as much as possible. plogue bidule, one small clue, cockos...(expert sleepers, soon).

coloring this whole picture in 2 shades does no good whatsoever to either the artists or the delinquents.

Last edited by plamuk; 09-03-2013 at 07:59 AM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #53
The Telenator
Banned

@Banned: most of the disputes between artist and publisher have nothing to do with theft. It's usually about the nature of the contract, and that's why we (should) hire good lawyers in the first place. That's what lawyers are for. No shortage of them, either!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #54
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
LOL. If the US would be heading the way of EU copyright law, that would be absolutely AWESOME (for one, that would imply US copyright starts caring about author's rights rather than giving handouts to the publishing industry). But it's exactly the other way around, and that has been the case for decades. It's the US that is most corrupted by corporate lobbying for ever more draconian intellectual property laws and enforcement, pushing for treaty negotiations that are kept completely secret from citizens. So, I don't have a clue where you got that impression, but it's utter nonsense.
That may be changing soon: https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp
Quote:
The TPP Will Rewrite Global Rules on Intellectual Property Enforcement

All signatory countries will be required to conform their domestic laws and policies to the provisions of the Agreement. In the US, this is likely to further entrench controversial aspects of US copyright law (such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [DMCA]) and restrict the ability of Congress to engage in domestic law reform to meet the evolving IP needs of American citizens and the innovative technology sector. The recently leaked US-proposed IP chapter also includes provisions that appear to go beyond current US law.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
That may be changing soon: https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp
Quote:
The recently leaked US-proposed IP chapter also includes provisions that appear to go beyond current US law.
You're just proving my point. That's the sort of thing that the US is pushing for, rather than the EU.
Quote:
The twelve nations currently negotiating the TPP are the US, Japan, Australia, Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Brunei Darussalam.
That doesn't mention any EU / European nations, does it?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
Banned

Quote:
@Banned: most of the disputes between artist and publisher have nothing to do with theft.
Not does copyright infringement, for that matter.

If you would mean that copyright infringement is about who gets what share of the pie, that's exactly what such disputes are about. But more importantly, conflicts of interest between authors and publishers go well beyond disputes over contracts.

Again, you're oversimplifying. When you blame others for lack of good research and lack of facts, that's the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #57
The Telenator
Banned

Yes, that's basically what I was posting about, and I don't want to go too deep -- after all, this is primarily about software. I've mentioned the other because it's the other big rip off in this industry. There are a few similarities, such as the suits and resulting fines, the policing of some of this and so on. I really feel for those who got raw deals with their publishing. Some went in trusting and no lawyer of course. The '60s was full of it. Even today artists don't understand just how much income can result from the publishing side. Sometimes it's the only thing that lasts.

[edit] Looking at my own post here, if there's one thing I always say to newer and upcoming artists, it's 'Who's doing your publishing? who's your lawyer? Is your deal straight? Tell me some about it? How come you don't know the details of your deal? I will pester until I send them off to learn more. It's worth the trouble. It might just be their retirement I'm helping them secure. It's no small thing.

Last edited by The Telenator; 09-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #58
The Telenator
Banned

The EU has been seen as the leader in much of the new. The other countries are just following that lead in their own way. It will likely take forever, but it will come of age. I'm optimistic overall.

+1 what LCipher said, also.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #59
faun2500

Funny how people are talking about a couple of myths in this thread: Audio watermarking and...

... oh never mind...

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #60
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by faun2500 View Post
Funny how people are talking about a couple of myths in this thread: Audio watermarking and...

... oh never mind...
The using of it may be a myth but the invention/ability isn't. I have no reason to suspect it is in use in commercial audio but steganography has been quite popular for a while now. Some printers use it to identify a source printer after the fact:

Quote:
Steganography is used by some modern printers, including HP and Xerox brand color laser printers. Tiny yellow dots are added to each page. The dots are barely visible and contain encoded printer serial numbers, as well as date and time stamps.[21]
If someone can get nasty virus into an MP3 and the user have no idea it's there....

On the second myth, +1
Old 09-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #61
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

If someone can get nasty virus into an MP3 and the user have no idea it's there....

On the second myth, +1
They can't. They can get the viruses in windows media files. mp3s don't allow for that ability.

I'm sure plugin companies can do that, but it would be too easy to make other plugins to find and remove that information if it is in inaudible frequency range, and it would be a lot of work for them. They'd have to spend a bunch of money making their software as impossible to crack as possible, and then spend a bunch more cracking it, and developing this watermark thing, in the hopes that they come across some music somebody with worthwhile money made, and this is popular enough that it made their radar, the radar they will have to invest money into using, and that the people that are popular enough to make decent enough money, didn't just buy their software they use.

I could maybe see a company doing this to one piece of software, and catch some at a loss, in order to make a statement, but I don't find the economics justify doing this as normal practice.

if there is profit in it, it gets done, if there isn't, then it doesn't.

If they did something like this that company would need to make their money back and then some from the piracy they reduce.

But like I said. less pirating doesn't necessarily mean more sales. if people could pirate Ferraris, probably quite a few would. Making pirating Ferraris impossible doesn't mean Ferrari sales would dramatically go up. It just means less people would have Ferraris.

Plus doing this might just make life easier for people that crack software. Removing the watermark could be easier than cracking the software. Not sure about that, because I don't program, but it might be.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 09-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #62
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
They can't. They can get the viruses in windows media files. mp3s don't allow for that ability.
Sure they do as far as carrying something other than audio, the meta data isn't compressed nor part of the audio such as the vast array of mp3 tags and cover art. But you are right, virus is a bad analogy though, steganography is the ability I was pointing out, not the ability to execute code. AKA being able to identify the copy but I have no concern or conspiracy theory that audio has anything like it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #63
reapercurious

Quote:

[edit] Looking at my own post here, if there's one thing I always say to newer and upcoming artists, it's 'Who's doing your publishing? who's your lawyer? Is your deal straight? Tell me some about it? How come you don't know the details of your deal? I will pester until I send them off to learn more. It's worth the trouble. It might just be their retirement I'm helping them secure. It's no small thing.
are you famous like metallica famous? (drools and wanks)

as you so succintly put it earlier (bedroom wanker remark)
not everyone comes to this forum is worthy of your brave new world.

btw, aphex twin is probably the best musician alive as far as im concerned, and i dont think he ever left the bedroom.

sorry to burst your bubble m8

[edit]

hope this abortion of a thread gets locked.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #64
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Sure they do as far as carrying something other than audio, the meta data isn't compressed nor part of the audio such as the vast array of mp3 tags and cover art. But you are right, virus is a bad analogy though, steganography is the ability I was pointing out, not the ability to execute code. AKA being able to identify the copy but I have no concern or conspiracy theory that audio has anything like it.
Ya, you could do something like that. Windows media files though, can actually run scripts, and can have viruses embedded in them, or maybe downloaded through them.

Back in the kazaa days there were such files with viruses, and dummy files that part way through would have white noise or a voice talking or something as forms of copy protection.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #65
Curvespace

Quote:
Few of you will ever end up in the position to have any of your music stolen, even fewer still have the skills to produce software that will be pirated. But if you ever did, and you saw others profiting from all your hard work, the same lot would be full of outcries of righteous indignation and demanding justice instead of the smug attitudes here.
As someone who makes a living doing exactly these two things, could you please endeavor to represent me a little better?

At no point would I be wasting my time, money, effort nor willpower on legal teams to hunt people down in a bid to publicly sacrifice their long term well being with disproportionate legal action.

I call it dignity.
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #66
The Telenator
Banned

Dear drools and wanks,

In this chapter of life I am more of a worker bee and old fart sage. I am happily taking the decades of sponged-up knowledge and trying to give it back whenever I can. Otherwise, I think knowledge not shared is wasted. I see everybody out trying to make a buck off every little bit of anything, and I really can't blame them if it's for putting food on the table to feed a family. But I don't have that need -- I'm blessed to be beyond all that as well now. Survived it all, did okay, now I can just hang around, do my own projects and contract out, and meanwhile alternate between enlightening some and being a pest to others. I hope all of you persevere and have such opportunities someday.

This Metallica -- they're famous? Famous as in about the worst metal album ever from a top act famous, produced by another famous chap, Lou Reed famous? Lulu? Or famous as is most squashed to death album ever, devoid of any dynamics famous? Death Magnetic? Sorry, I haven't risen to those levels of accomplishment yet. Rubin's production work on this Death Magnetic is of a level that is truly something to behold (choke, cough), and it's something (gasp) I doubt I could ever attain.

This brave new world you mentioned. It's already here, as we're discussing in this thread. I don't think it has anything to do with being 'worthy.' Seems to me it's more about setting ethical and artistic standards for yourselves and then refusing to compromise these. From this you earn integrity and respect, and this will help carry you through the thin and tough spots.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #67
fedexnman

I look at this thread and I think to myself , why can't they just shut down these crack sites , why can't the software companies artists etc get together and do class actions against these sites ? Why cant they build web browsers that block crack sites ? Sometimes people dont even know theyre using cracks or cracked samples etc etc . Its really a sad situation , I think in order to stop this problem you have to go after the crack sites 1st .
fedexnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #68
Rodal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
I look at this thread and I think to myself , why can't they just shut down these crack sites , why can't the software companies artists etc get together and do class actions against these sites ? Why cant they build web browsers that block crack sites ? Sometimes people dont even know theyre using cracks or cracked samples etc etc . Its really a sad situation , I think in order to stop this problem you have to go after the crack sites 1st .
Dont worry, i'm sure that the corporate whores who own america are doing all they can to bully the rest of the world into doing what hollywood and the record companies want. Just dont expect that the little people who actually create will benefit, thats not who its all for.

Chris Dodd for president, cant wait myself.
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #69
The Telenator
Banned

Rodal, I often say much the same as what you have here. It goes from that to something a bit more optimistic, then typically swings back to this again. I will say that if bands and musicians would kindly stop buying into or succumbing to all this corporate whoredom, it would help some. Refuse to do the next Pepsi Tour, the next Hanes Underwear Concert Series. Stop begging like a slut for LIKES on Facebook. I just saw an advert for a band called Brit, selling Brit cologne. I couldn't be sure if it was a cologne promoting a band or a band merching cologne with their logo on it. I mean, pleeeeaase, have a little dignity and self-respect. I daily see musicians whoring themselves every bit as much as the corporates you despise. Can't condemn the CEOs, then turn right around and be just as big a slut for your own success. Can't rip off people's software, then complain when someone rips off your tunes. Can't have it both ways. Integrity starts at home, right?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #70
GregHolmes

Where's the LIKE button on that post? +1
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #71
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
The crack sites are usually located out of arm reach, in countries with a government and/or legal system that doesn't enforce copyright law.

There is an easy way to put these sites out of business, however. They profit from serving ads. They are found using search engines. If the top ten search engines in the world stopped returning links to these sites, the average joe would have a hard time finding pirated content. If the ad servers, usually owned and operated by the same companies who run the search engines (surprise, surprise) stopped serving ads for the sites hosting pirate contents, they'd go out business. Why aren't they doing just that, you ask? Because they profit from piracy themselves, that's why.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #72
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Rodal, I often say much the same as what you have here. It goes from that to something a bit more optimistic, then typically swings back to this again. I will say that if bands and musicians would kindly stop buying into or succumbing to all this corporate whoredom, it would help some. Refuse to do the next Pepsi Tour, the next Hanes Underwear Concert Series. Stop begging like a slut for LIKES on Facebook. I just saw an advert for a band called Brit, selling Brit cologne. I couldn't be sure if it was a cologne promoting a band or a band merching cologne with their logo on it. I mean, pleeeeaase, have a little dignity and self-respect. I daily see musicians whoring themselves every bit as much as the corporates you despise. Can't condemn the CEOs, then turn right around and be just as big a slut for your own success. Can't rip off people's software, then complain when someone rips off your tunes. Can't have it both ways. Integrity starts at home, right?

Right!

I simply ignore it all. Not just the sad activities outlined in the quote above, but as much of modern "normality" as I can.

You name it, there's a good chance it'll make me cringe . Banks, phone companies, TV adverts, Facewhateveritis, commercial radio, the "news".......what a long list!

Most of the people I've given up bothering with over the past twenty years probably still don't know how to change a bearing on a bike wheel.

And travel, that great romantic pursuit of yore?

No thanks, am happy where I am, thank you.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #73
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
The crack sites are usually located out of arm reach, in countries with a government and/or legal system that doesn't enforce copyright law.

There is an easy way to put these sites out of business, however. They profit from serving ads. They are found using search engines. If the top ten search engines in the world stopped returning links to these sites, the average joe would have a hard time finding pirated content. If the ad servers, usually owned and operated by the same companies who run the search engines (surprise, surprise) stopped serving ads for the sites hosting pirate contents, they'd go out business. Why aren't they doing just that, you ask? Because they profit from piracy themselves, that's why.

There's a global video-sharing site we all know. It's a really great place to go for illegal music and video downloads.

Talk about hypocrisy and double standards and turning a blind eye if the money's good enough.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #74
atreidesheir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
If that kid is smart, he has now at least learned that adults make up all kinds of lies to scare their kids.
Not nearly enough lies scaring kids enough, apparently.
I am a teacher and this upcoming generation has never paid for video or music and only accept the hardware to be what they pay money for. They have a real disconnect between stealing software and files and consequences.

and all lies are not created equal. Muckraker. ;-)
Reaper 4/Lexicon iOnix22/Faderport/Behringer bcr2000/Fabfilter volcano,ProL,ProC,One,Twin/Stillwell/ART Pro VLA/Tube Preamp System/podfarm/ Reelbus /NI B4/Elektrik Piano/Akoustik Piano/MiniMonsta/Waves API/V-Series/
atreidesheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #75
atreidesheir

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
hey OP,

it's none of your business to police other people's computers. "mind your own business" is some really good advice. you are not your brother's keeper.

if he asks you for heroin though, do the right thing and don't give him any.

don't be a creepy spy ok? be righteous yourself, that's enough work to keep you busy. in short, i hope you are trolling.
This is really weird.
Reaper 4/Lexicon iOnix22/Faderport/Behringer bcr2000/Fabfilter volcano,ProL,ProC,One,Twin/Stillwell/ART Pro VLA/Tube Preamp System/podfarm/ Reelbus /NI B4/Elektrik Piano/Akoustik Piano/MiniMonsta/Waves API/V-Series/
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #76
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
by conservative estimation, my music has been bootlegged tens of thousands of times. these are the people who have enabled me to achieve the modest level of international attention that i've received -- they jump started my career.
You, as the owner of your music, have the right to do with it whatever you want. Just like the software developers do when they write a plugin. If you want to give it away, that's grand. Give it away. If you want to charge a dollar for it, then you should damn well get a dollar for it.

It's not even about economics. It's about respecting the creators of this stuff, and their desires about their work.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #77
atreidesheir

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
hey OP,

it's none of your business to police other people's computers. "mind your own business" is some really good advice. you are not your brother's keeper.

if he asks you for heroin though, do the right thing and don't give him any.

don't be a creepy spy ok? be righteous yourself, that's enough work to keep you busy. in short, i hope you are trolling.
This is rather weird. If helping a friend is trolling, whatever. That doesn't even make sense. I am ok and do not pirate or even steal music. I made a good living in the music industry in the 90's so I know these are not victimless crimes.
If a young man is doing underhanded things on his computer (bought by his father) under his father's roof, it is his father's business. If you disagree with my method or motive, ok. I will sleep sweetly thinking about it tonight.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #78
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodal View Post
I did say in a court of law, but nevermind
Very often the law as the police see it and governmental departments see it, is contradicted by the courts
This is one of those cases, like i said i have experience of this and paid a huge fine because of such (The DVLA was at fault and later admitted their fault, but i still had to pay the fine)
So do not always assume that what the police state on the website is what is going to be fact in a court of law.
There is a reason that police are not Sheriff/Judge/Executioner

Last edited by Win Conway; 09-03-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #79
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It is somewhat of an arrogant and emotional stance to judge a guy with with so little information and so much conjecture, and all too easy as well.

"Yeah, right." would cover that quite well too, don't you think ?

It could an innocent mistake, carelessness, stupidity, a day of losing the installer, a disgruntled employee, convenience or indeed being a complete cheapskate.

There's really no positive value to anyone but ones own ego in turning speculation in to certainty through conjecture.

You gotta relax, man. Make a tune instead.
Perhaps you should read his reply instead of calling people emotional and arrogant, he admitted he was using a crack and then shows a licence with somebody else name on that he uses in his studio, both of these things are not conjecture, they are facts and both make this illegal.

Oh i have innocently mistaken a cracked piece of software for the purchased one
Oh wow how careless was that, i downloaded and ran a cracked piece of software
I could go on but i think those first two cover enough of the silly excuse mongering
As for wanting to boost my own ego, not needed it is very large already, but thanks for worrying

Oh and lets be fair here, i actually stated that nobody gives a damn about pirate software, including me, but when people try to dance around reality, then we are in to the world of idol stupidity.

Last edited by Win Conway; 09-03-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #80
buggyboy

I used to walk the dark path of entitlement (living in a ex-communist poor country feeling righteous stealing from the capitalists) dling sw music and films left and right.

Now I try to walk the path of enlightenment using only free stuff and buying anything I like to use that brings me joy or revenue.

So hello to steam sale games, cheap vod subscription movies and bargain hunter DSP SW.

Once you understand the amount of work that goes into most plugins you can never feel at home by using them without being fair to the ones who made them.
buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote