Old 07-07-2015, 01:01 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default common memory

Hi experts,

I know that there is a common memory array that all loaded EEL2 JSFXes can use and transfer data via same.

Here I have two questions:

1) Can EEL2 ReaScript instances access the same memory (e.g. to transfer Data from a JSFX to a ReaScript ?

2) I suppose JSFXes (and ReaScript instances) can run in multiple threads. Is it appropriate to install a sophisticated mutual access management (semaphores etc) when using the shared memory ?

A related question regarding just Reascript: is there a way to have a code snipped in my script be called at a predefined regular time schedule, unrelated to the sample Rate etc. ?

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-07-2015 at 01:19 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Hi experts,

I know that there is a common memory array that all loaded EEL2 JSFXes can use and transfer data via same.

Here I have two questions:

1) Can EEL2 ReaScript instances access the same memory (e.g. to transfer Data from a JSFX to a ReaScript ?

2) I suppose JSFXes (and ReaScript instances) can run in multiple threads. Is it appropriate to install a sophisticated mutual access management (semaphores etc) when using the shared memory ?

A related question regarding just Reascript: is there a way to have a code snipped in my script be called at a predefined regular time schedule, unrelated to the sample Rate etc. ?

Thanks,
-Michael
No, I don't think the JSFX and ReaScript have a shared memory region.

The JSFX audio processing code sections may be run in multiple threads. ReaScript only runs in the main/GUI thread. EEL has some support for mutex protecting variables but as far as I know that is very expensive to use.

ReaScript has the defer-mechanism which is run by a GUI timer, so is not guaranteed to run your function at exact time intervals.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
mschnell

Thanks a lot for your answers !
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote