Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Buttrey
Human being with feelings

Default Ext. keyboard doesn't work with some VSTis?

Greetings. I want to play notes in Reaper using an external keyboard. I'm running Reaper 4.75 (I have both 32- and 64-bit versions) under Windows 7. I have ASIO4All as my audio driver.

I have a track set to receive on All Midi Devices | All Channels. I click on the track's "Record Monitoring" and "Record Armed" buttons. I enable my external device in Options | Preferences | MIDI, add RealSynth as an effect, and everything works great. I hear sound when I press the keys on the external controller, and of course I hear sound when I click keys on the Virtual Keyboard as well.

Now I add another VSTi, like sfz or Proteus, and disable ReaSynth. At this point pressing keys on the external keyboard produces no sound, but the Virtual Keyboard still works (that is, produces sound from these instruments). I'm 100% sure I've used these VSTis before with the external keyboard. Meanwhile, the external keyboard does work with some other non-Reaper VSTs, e.g. Oatmeal.

I thought it might be a 32- vs 64-bit issue, but I see this behaviour with both Reaper executables. Can anyone think of a setting that might be interrupting my ability to control certain VSTis from an external keyboard?

Thanks,
Confused Guy
Buttrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
bluzkat

When you add another VSTi are you trying to add it to the same track that ReaSynth is on?

If yes, add the other VSTi on a new track by itself or remove ReaSynth before you add the VSTi.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
foxAsteria

yea i've noticed that certain plugins in the chain will "eat" the midi data instead of pass it along the chain. even certain fx. solution is to put the one you want to use at the top of the list, or remove the other plugs.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Buttrey

Thanks to both of you for your prompt and helpful replies. I'm sorry to say that even adding the troublesome VSTi on a new track (or moving it to the top) doesn't seem to get to it work with the external keyboard. I'm glad someone has seen this before, and I'll keep at it. Thanks again.

Confused Guy
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
foxAsteria

weird problem dude. maybe try setting your controller to a specific channel or try another controller to rule it out as the problem. i use midi-ox a lot to troubleshoot those "invisible" MIDI data problems...
Old 04-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Buttrey

Ha! Thanks for the tip. It turns out that I was sending my MIDI data on channel 3, even though the controller claims to be sending on channel 1. Furthermore, the "receive on all channels" setting in Reaper wasn't doing what I expected. There are still some things I need to figure out, but things are moving forward now. Thanks again!