Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
hux
Human being with feelings

Default plugins take cumulatively more CPU/RAM?

So dig it...often when I am mixing I will highlight a section of a song and enable the repeat so that it loops..I use amp modelling software, several different ones..Line 6, Amplitube, and Waves GTR..the first few passes everything is fine..but often on about the fifth loop, the thing appears to be CPU bound..playback begins to skip and stutter, GUI updates get slower and slower and slower, and the whole machine goes into a locked state until it's able to "catch up". If I close reaper and start it back up, everything is fine again.

My audio device is UX2/Asio, generally stable...it doesn't seem like it's a disk IO problem, but I guess I haven't tried too hard to eliminate that. I don't get the red bar that is present when there's an IO speed issue.

I should also mention that in general I have Jamstix running as a VSTi, and it's configured for 8 tracks of output. I tried changing a few of the flushing options in preferences, but that didn't seem to help.

Any ideas? It's a minor annoyance but one I'd like to get rid of.

XXXOOO
hux
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
hux

wow, not one reply? Nobody's seen this before?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
sdOK

Well yes plug ins do use ram/cpu.
How does it all look in the performance meter?
sdOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry hux, this is not the most popular kind of problem, generally giving one a tough time trying to help troubleshooting it from a distance and way over my head.

I experienced something similar only once and it had to do with a certain combination of plugins plus a SynthEdit based plugin. My remedy was removing the SE plugin.

- Does the project only have the plugins you mentioned or are there also some other plugins in there? Does it happen with other projects? Can you upload the .RPP project file?

- Another approach to the plugin question: Start the problem project in "recovery mode" (open your project from the 'File->Open' dialog and check the "Recovery mode" checkbox). Then play the loop and bring the plugins back online one by one and give each one enough time to make Reaper go bonkers.

- Did you try playing with the 'Track performance options' like "Prevent anticipative FX" e.g. for the tracks with the ampsims yet?

- If you monitor the memory usage while this happens, does it rise continually (memory leak)? Are your CPU cores showing a roughly equal load?

That's all I can think of atm.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
hux

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdOK View Post
Well yes plug ins do use ram/cpu.
How does it all look in the performance meter?
thanks, man. I appreciate that insight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Steindork:

I narrowed it down to Amplitube, and remedied the problem by automating a bypass after the guitar part was done and extending the time selection past that. Shrug, it works now. lol

thanks!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Bubbagump

Amplitube 2? That plug has miserable denormal problems that create exactly what you describe.... CPU goes nuts for no apparent reason caused by quiet sections.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
GreyBeard

Default Mine was doing something like that.

Mine was doing something like that until I unchecked "Run FX when stopped" from the Options->Preferences->Playback page. Try unchecking it and see if it makes any difference in your situation. VSTi's won't work when you are stopped so it can be a pain with plugin's like Ezdrummer etc.

Is your machine a duo processor or a single core? I've noticed that my Duo core laptop handles these situations much better than my older single.