Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
extacee_productions
Human being with feelings

Default how to use reatune to get the t-pain voice

hi there every one, im new to this forum. i recently just got reaper (hooray)and decided that i wanted to add vacals to my beats! but the thing is i can't get reatune to work for me. i mean it works but idk how to use it properly, i have search all over the net trying to find out how to use it but no luck =[.

is there a way though how to get that t-pain effect on reatune? Also i downloaded gsnap but i cant find out how to make it work with reaper.

thanks
extacee_productions
extacee_productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas

i hate t-pain... what a joke.

but anyway, ill test some settings.

try and lower the "attack time" to 1 ms

-- also, you may want to choose chromatic scale, and then use the pitches that are in the song you are doing.

alternatively, you could use reavoice and control it via midi?

t-pain sucks and that sound should die immediately.

i dont even know why im helping.

btw, welcome to the forum
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
extacee_productions

well its not the t-pain voice really, i am trying to create one since i cant sing. is there a simple way of doing it like actually setting reatune up step by step? cuz i haven't gone in depth with reaper and just barely started to use it

Thanks, again
extacee productions
p.s i think every one hates t-pain now rofl
extacee_productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
kristen

The degradation of music is at an all time low, but the epidemic of t-pain makes me lose faith in humanity. I thought that t-pain would disappear after a day ot two, but still it persists. I don't believe that there is an innoculation vaccine for t-pain disease and i fear if this disease continues we are on a quick road to extinction.

(I should have realized this after people started actually LIKE mp3 recordings.)

Technology has given us the ability to repeat all our mistakes we have learned from history, …. but much faster, deadlier, and with greater accuracy!

KAB (superkristen)
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
jonespnice

Quote:
Originally Posted by extacee_productions View Post
hi there every one, im new to this forum. i recently just got reaper (hooray)and decided that i wanted to add vacals to my beats! but the thing is i can't get reatune to work for me. i mean it works but idk how to use it properly, i have search all over the net trying to find out how to use it but no luck =[.

is there a way though how to get that t-pain effect on reatune? Also i downloaded gsnap but i cant find out how to make it work with reaper.

thanks
extacee_productions
Autotune is the best program to use for this but to do it in reatune you have to draw it in. First of all in reatune select manual correction tab and check all the check boxes (manual pitch correction, ect.) then let the track play and figure out where you want to place the pitch correction lines, keep in mind that you do not have the ability to draw in vibrato but I think you can do that using reapers parameter modulation. I don't really use this so maybe someone can give you better information.

In autotune you simply set the key to whatever and then set the scale to major, then set your tracking to 100, finally adjust your towards zero (fast) until you get the desired effect. Now this will be applied in realtime so no need to draw anything in unless you only want to affect certain words. I hope this helps.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
d.bop

Well, you can't really get a good T-Pain/Cher effect with ReaTune (I've tried,) but if you're strapped for cash, I recommend the free GSnap plugin. It's actually pretty comparable to AutoTune and can do anything from heavy pitch-correction to some pretty transparent correction.

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm
Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
camerondye

The cheapest way to get the T-Pain effect is to get Autotune EFX. It's about $99 and you can run it while you are doing the vocals to get the T-Pain effect closest to what you want. There is an upgrade from that to the full version if you decide to do it later also.

Sometimes you can't help but give the artist what they want, if an artist comes to my place and asks for the T-Pain effect I give it to them. They are the ones paying and I want to keep them happy and coming back.
cam
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
shakey.oberon

please don't
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
shakey.oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
Well, you can't really get a good T-Pain/Cher effect with ReaTune

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

surely thats a contradiction in terms
Old 12-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
beatbybit

http://iamtpain.smule.com/

(its on iPhone now)

"T-Pain is a groundbreaking American hip-hop and R&B singer, songwriter, and producer. In addition to releasing three best-selling albums of his own and numerous hits for other rappers, T-Pain has had over ten top-10 singles chart on the Billboard Hot 100. T-Pain has received Grammy, BET and Vibe awards, and he was rated 34th of the most influential people in the world."

no comment on this.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
"T-Pain is a groundbreaking American hip-hop and R&B singer, songwriter, and producer. In addition to releasing three best-selling albums of his own and numerous hits for other rappers, T-Pain has had over ten top-10 singles chart on the Billboard Hot 100. T-Pain has received Grammy, BET and Vibe awards, and he was rated 34th of the most influential people in the world."
Hmph... can we possibly sink any lower? (Rhetorical question...)

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey.oberon View Post
please don't
This. Please don't do it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Lokasenna

Now now, be nice. Music is all about taste, and T-Pain's vocals are the fashionable thing right now. You may not like it, but plenty of people do. Hell, most of us enjoy music or specific instruments that other people hate - I know a couple of people who still can't deal with hearing any sort of OD/distortion on a guitar.

Remember that old saying about situations where you don't have anything nice to say?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
kristen

That was a great politically correct answer!

hey heres a youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBaXw...eature=related

Technology has given us the ability to repeat all our mistakes we have learned from history, …. but much faster, deadlier, and with greater accuracy!

KAB (superkristen)
Old 12-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
kristen

Thee is only ONE Cher! All others are copykats!

K

KAB (superkristen)
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
JMills

I knew as soon as I saw the title of this thread, J was going to be the first dude answering.

No, seriously - since this has migrated to a(nother) discussion about the artistic merits of the "T-Pain voice", I have to add my 2c: What's all the hate about? I mean, look - anyone who's using this for the reasons parodied in the video kristen posted, yeah, they should know that it's more used up than an old tube sock. But there are a million applications for this that don't have anything to do with Hip-Hop/R&B/Rap/whatever you want to call it.

Personally, I hate the sound of my own voice. I will do anything I can to mangle and twist it into being more of an instrument and less of a voice. Maybe I'm a bit of a Kid A-era Radiohead nerd, but I love vocal deconstruction. I love the way the "T-Pain voice" sounds when there's like 3 or 4 tracks of it in harmony, not all synced up together necessarily, with granular-filter delay, heavy reverb, and light overdrive. It sounds nothing like the "T-Pain voice" when I get done with it. But the building block of it is in fact the "T-pain voice", so I have to know how to start.

If I ignore a weapon in my creative arsenal just because it has some stigma attached to it or because it has some commonly used application, why am I laying down tracks at all? I mean, I get the disdain coming from the Metal/Hard-Rock community - this has very little if any application in that field. But I think that just about anyone else making any other kind of music should be thinking about how to bend this to your will rather than just saying "Don't do it". It'd be like me saying "Zappa used a talkbox, there will never again be any other application for a talkbox other than what Zappa did", and throwing my talkbox away. Just seems, I don't know, premature.

OK, rant over, I'll go back to my corner now
JMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
GregHolmes

Recently, I came across a monthly "best vocalist" competition held by an alleged industry veteran. That month's winner was very obviously using Autotune (and in a genre that would not normally feature it).

I wrote the industry veteran, and asked how could a "best vocalist" win go to an entry that used Autotune?

The veteran's answer was pretty short: "everybody's using it".

My respect for the veteran vanished completely.

In any case, I felt that Autotune was not needed at all by the winner, since the singer could clearly sing quite well. What a sad competition.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
beatbybit

i have no problem w/AutoTune (nor Melodyne) - IF its used as a make-up. precise and careful editing, etc. tbh, i love it. i love it on vocals, bass, strings, whatever. sometimes for 'creative correction', build up harmonies, etc.

but i hate the "T-Pain" (Cher?, Eiffel65?, tons of others..) settings.
i try to avoid of listening those productions - but damn, i hear them everywhere.

the "T-Pain" effect is overused, it is boring, its not funny, it makes everybody 'sing' the same. and the icing on the cake is the iPhone version. damn, maybe just i lost my sense of humour?

you can hate me now

(PS: i find Looney Island's "I'm On a Boat" funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yov4eft6Puc - featuring T-Pain..)

Old 12-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #19
kristen

Jmills answer was't politically correct ... it was totally true correct!

No arguments from the peanut gallery here.

I suppose as many of us seem to be creative musician types, we see this as "ok ... it was created and was cool ... but lets face it, its getting old".
And on top of this , we see the copykats making money on this totally unoriginal old concept.
Maybe i'm just jealous that I can't lower myself to the totally ignorant music status of the "top 10 music audience", the that of as I would like to call them , "a musical drone" (feel free to use if you like but remember superkristen)

Being creative does have its faults.
I for one , am done here.. i learned something from reading the enjoyable posts.

thanks
superkristen

KAB (superkristen)
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #20
toyhouse

The iphone T-pain app is one of apple I-store's "top grossing apps"???
I know. I was just looking for new apps and saw it pop-up near the top of the list!

Just thought I'd share that. lol.

I am rather supprised that the effect's popularity has lasted this long. Much like my supprise at clown-size pants that need to be held up and boxer shorts bulging out.
Where's that head-sratching emoticon?
Sorry.

Jim P.

toyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
JasonSpatola

I have nothing against T-Pain (or any musician, really), but I do prefer the Roger Troutman approach over just plain Auto-Tune.
JasonSpatola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #22
Driven1

The Printing Press > the Gramophone > AM Radio > Television > FM Radio > the Internet > Satellite > Cell > ?

Black and White TV > Color TV > Flat Screen TV > HD TV > 1080 HD > ?

Wax > Vinyl > Wire > Tape > Cassette > 8 Track > CD > MP3 > ?

Mono > Stereo > Hi-Fi Stereo > "Quad" Sound > 5.1 > 7.1 > ?

Tubes > Transistors > Tubes and transistors > Amp Plugins > ?

"Punch Card" Computers > Tape Drive Computers > Transistor Computers > Chip driven Computers > UNIX > DOS > Win 3.1 > Win 3.11 > Win 95 > Win NT > Win 98 > Win ME > Win 2K > Win XP > Win Vista > Win 7, Mac OS's 1-10 > Safari > Snow Leopard > (Linux,BeOS) > ?

Mic's "stacked" a few feet apart down the length of a hall > Spring Reverbs > Digital Reverbs > Reverb plugins > ?

"Chipmunks" > "Talkboxes" > Vocoders > "Lo-Fi" > T-Pain/Cher > ?

Catch my drift? When something new comes along, T-Pain will go away.

Get crackin'. You may just come up with the next "new big thing" and make a boatload of cash. It ain't gonna be easy though 'cause I think we're pretty near the end of the vocal effects advance chain. Really. What's left you can do to them and still be able to call them vocals?
Driven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #23
shakey.oberon

It's sad that the through the whole of the 20th century music quality has increased, but so far this century has seen a constant decline, with mp3, awful ipod docks, excessive limiting, autotune. I was just looking through the observer 100 best albums of the decade, it's been a terrible time for good music. Obviously there has still been some excellent music released since 2000, but it is eclipsed by the relentless churning bilge we are continually bombarded with. You would think that it would be a good thing because it should be easier to stand out by actually putting thought into your music, but judging by the success of people like akon and t-pain, people don't know what good is anymore.

Merry christmas ;-)
Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #24
TimOBrien

Yea, but if you dont dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator how are you going to let untalented mediocre people become rich celebrities???

;-)

PS- I don't sing because I >know< I cant sing....
Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #25
Lokasenna

I don't sing because my wife is often around and I would prefer to keep her.

Edit: I believe this post entitles me to a 1000 Post cake, or a pocketwatch, or something.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #26
Skamm Goodiez

10 years later and autotune is still alive lol
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #27
Fergler

Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #28
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
10 years later and autotune is still alive lol
Haha, true, I'm trying to figure out how to get it quickly, that and the 808 trap sound has lasted pretty long, maybe music evolution has stopped?
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote