Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Reason
Human being with feelings

Default Any free or very cheap softsynths with tempo syncable ADSR?

Pretty much what the title says - anyone aware of a softsynth with this feature?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
lolilol1975

Maybe you could explain what "tempo syncable ADSR" means ?
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
Maybe you could explain what "tempo syncable ADSR" means ?
ADSR stands for Attack Decay Sustain Release, common features in synths. So I'm pretty sure he's looking for synths with a bpm or time sync button, like the ones you find on delays
Old 06-24-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
slipstick

Sure ADSR is an envelope generator but what exactly is synced to the tempo? I wonder if the OP just means one with retriggering based on tempo? I'm not convinced about setting the Attack or Release in terms of beats rather than time, but who knows?

Probably best to give us an example of one or perhaps the name of any synth that does deliver whatever it is.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Reason

Thanks for the replies. DaveKeehl is on the right track.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
setting the Attack or Release in terms of beats rather than time, but who knows?
This is exactly it.

Take a filter envelope. I'm envisioning the ability to set the attack to 1/16, decay to 1/8, and release to 1/16, for example.

This would allow for rhythmic envelopes that would not need to be set manually and could easily be preserved through tempo changes.

As a noncoder it seems like it would be relatively easy to implement, although I could be completely wrong. I can also see the desire/request to set or draw different curves following close behind.

Haven't found any examples.

Last edited by Reason; 06-24-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Take a filter envelope. I'm envisioning the ability to set the attack to 1/16, decay to 1/8, and release to 1/16, for example.
Kinda hard to imagine it for me. Some synths have tempo synced LFO with switchable slope/wave shapes, but I guess it's not exactly what you want.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
slipstick

The only synth I can spot that does anything like that is Thor which as far as I know is only available in Reason. And it only has tempo synch in the modulation envelopes not the main volume and filter envelopes.

There is also an IPad version of Thor but I'm not sure that has the same modulation features.

This tends to suggest that either it's not easy to implement or there's simply very little call for it. Your best bet may be to try over in KVR where a lot of developers hang out and ask if anyone over there knows of one or has done anything like it. BTW if your opening gambit is "It looks relatively easy to implement" you're likely to get a load of rude answers. They're not quite as easy-going over there as we are .

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
viscofisy

It's ages since I used it - but can't this be done with Plugin Parameter Modulation?
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Robbie Hogg

Check out Synthmaster 2.8
I use it and never even noticed there is a sync option on the ADSR envelopes until just now.
https://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster.aspx
Download the demo and see if this is what you are after.
At the moment it's at $99 but the have specials on pretty regularly. Think i payed $60 or $70 for it.

Just had a good look at Synthmaster 2 ADSR sync settings. Pretty sure it can do exactly what you are after.
Just select the sync option in the ADSR envelope (Brings up a grid overlay on the envelope) then select the snap option in the envelope and it brings up a list of setting for the snap values 1/16, 1/8 ,1/4 ,1/2 and 1/1

Last edited by Robbie Hogg; 06-24-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Update post.
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Hogg View Post
Check out Synthmaster 2.8
I use it and never even noticed there is a sync option on the ADSR envelopes until just now.
https://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster.aspx
Download the demo and see if this is what you are after.
At the moment it's at $99 but the have specials on pretty regularly. Think i payed $60 or $70 for it.
I got that when it was on a stupid cheap special earlier this year, and apparently I completely missed this response from uksnowy:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=16

so thanks for that! Looks like I need to spend more time with it. It's pretty dang complex for what I'm used to, took me a solid 15 minutes to make a reese bass with it when I got it, but time spent learning is rarely time wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
It's ages since I used it - but can't this be done with Plugin Parameter Modulation?
That might be a good option for other synths, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
This tends to suggest that either it's not easy to implement or there's simply very little call for it. Your best bet may be to try over in KVR where a lot of developers hang out and ask if anyone over there knows of one or has done anything like it. BTW if your opening gambit is "It looks relatively easy to implement" you're likely to get a load of rude answers. They're not quite as easy-going over there as we are .

Steve
I'm guessing there's less call for it - couldn't you just check the DAW tempo and subdivide accordingly instead of using ms or ticks or something? Anyway, you may remember the old joke about how to learn in linux: complain in a linux forum that there's no way to do something, and you'll quickly be provided with several (probably angrily worded) methods.

I should probably sign up for KVR anyway. i'll post over there if the other two suggestions don't work. Thanks everybody!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Robbie Hogg

"I got that when it was on a stupid cheap special earlier this year"

Same. I have spent a bit of time getting to know it but mainly just use the presets for now then tweek them a bit to get what i am after.
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
mccrabney

yeah i wish there was more of this in the world, too.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:16 AM   #13
rcl

Check out https://www.fathomsynth.com

There is afree mono version. It is in development right now with a substatial update coming n the next few days. The envelopes are some of the best out there and are syncable
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #14
Bri1
Banned

All you need is a sampler and a timeline.
With the sampler you can create multitude of tones///>layered to the max-realtime waveshaping reasynthesis and fx.
You can make automation lanes for any plugin without tempo sync,and lock your automation points to grid settings- it's all sooo simplez.

You could 1st ask yourself the question-"what are these soft synths doing?" >then ok,i can do that this way the same..... or same_ish.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
Time Waster

Why do you want to sync the envelope to the tempo? Is it so that you can vary the tempo and have the envelope change automatically? Or is it just so you can use beats rather than time to adjust the envelope? Usually I would just sync by ear, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Why do you want to sync the envelope to the tempo? Is it so that you can vary the tempo and have the envelope change automatically? Or is it just so you can use beats rather than time to adjust the envelope? Usually I would just sync by ear, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.
Both of those. The idea of using envelopes in a rhythmic manner is appealing to me. I could sync by ear but I'd like the option to do it automatically, especially if I'm still playing with tempo options.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #17
JamesPeters

I just tried this with Synth1. It seems to work fine.

Touch the parameter you want to modulate. Call up Reaper's modulation dialog. Click LFO, then Tempo Sync. Set the # of quarter notes (QN). Adjust the baseline slider for your starting position of the modulation.

Then repeat for the other parameters. So you can have attack set to 1/4, decay set to 1/8 (0.5 QN), and so on.

This should work with any synth plugin that "reveals" its parameters for ASDR to Reaper.

Here's a video which shows how to use Reaper's built-in parameter modulation (although he doesn't set it up for LFO that's tempo synced, it's easy to set up that way and you'll see the options when you bring it up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5_GvsJIhI
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Both of those. The idea of using envelopes in a rhythmic manner is appealing to me. I could sync by ear but I'd like the option to do it automatically, especially if I'm still playing with tempo options.
I hadn't thought of this option before, but I'll look into adding it to the ReaRack envelope generator. I don't know if that's of any use to you?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I just tried this with Synth1. It seems to work fine.

Touch the parameter you want to modulate. Call up Reaper's modulation dialog. Click LFO, then Tempo Sync. Set the # of quarter notes (QN). Adjust the baseline slider for your starting position of the modulation.

Then repeat for the other parameters. So you can have attack set to 1/4, decay set to 1/8 (0.5 QN), and so on.

This should work with any synth plugin that "reveals" its parameters for ASDR to Reaper.
LFO parameter modulation just moves a fader/knob up and down at a regular rate. Great for many things, but this is not going to provide tempo synced envelopes.

A tempo synced envelope will enable attack, hold, decay and release times to be set to beat divisions.

Example: Say you wanted to create a reversed sound that peaks on beat 1. You would need to set a slow attack and instant decay/release times. Now if it were possible to set the attack time to 1/2 note, then playing the note on beat 3 (in 4/4 time) will make the sound peak on beat 1 of the next bar.

Not impossible with normal envelopes, but a lot easier with tempo synced ADR.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #20
Andywanders

Just found one - Emulator X

Bun not free, and not exactly cheap I'm afraid.

Andy M. VST

Last edited by Andywanders; 06-26-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #21
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Just found one - Emulator X

Bun not free, and not exactly cheap I'm afraid.
^That's discontinued/abandoned - links are available on net at users own risk.
Emux3 is still the bomb.Love it.

Reason's thor global envelope is indeed very unique-even vet reason users overlook that 1 there,but it can do some strange things to audio and other modulator sources.Looping for eg.
Actually if reaper had a unit that matched thor- =would make the payment justified right there.
There's a few extensions that go with tempo divisions-- just rearoute or rewire everything and happiness may ensue.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote