Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #41
Bernstraw
Human being with feelings

This is a life saver ! I'm going to use it with my CCvectorpad JS.
A really great tool, thank you very much !
Bernstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #42
gwok

any chance of seeing an os x build?

I dont know anything about code, or I'd port it myself. Anyway would be incredibly awesome if this plugin was available for os x.

g
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #43
gwok

we NEED an osx version of this - someone pleeeeease..........
Old 12-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #44
juliansader

I recently tested the 64bit v0.2 test build, but unfortunately I experienced the same problem as Darkstar. To summarize:

- The MIDItoReaControlPath plugin does not appear in Reaper's FX browser, although it is listed in the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file.
- There are no error messages when Reaper scans for new plugins.
- I tested the 3.66 version of Reaper, as well as the new 4.0 alpha version.
- I also tried copying the dll to the REAPER/Plugins/FX folder as nofish suggested.
- My processor is an AMD Phenom II, so (as far as I know) SSE2 should not be a problem.

The 32bit version of the plugin does show up in the FX browser of 64bit Reaper and can be loaded. The first three sliders of the 32bit plugin (namely "Input channel", "Input message type" and "Route to standard MIDI path") appears to work perfectly in 64bit Reaper (i.e. I can select which messages to route to standard MIDI path and which to 'eat'). However, the fourth slider ("Route to control MIDI path") does not have any effect.

Thanks!

Julian

Last edited by juliansader; 12-26-2010 at 08:23 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #45
Breeder

not sure if this is related but about your recorded envelope:

I experienced the similar thing with reaper`s parameter modulation regarding LFO

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=71220

However, when I did it with hz settings as explained in the second post it sounded in time. When I recorded the automation it was similar to yours, I suspect it has something to do with the envelope shape (I guess in my example square shape would help to write it out correctly), but I still need to test it

Last edited by Breeder; 12-29-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #46
Jeffos
Mortal

sorry for the delay..

@gwok:
I'm sorry but except for a few public contributions like this one, I have no real interest in OSX.. However, according to some clever computations I've done, I should be able to buy a Mac in 2033 (thanks to musicbynumbers donnations ). So, may be it's time to open source this plug or ask an OSX IPlugger to try to build it (it should be straight forward).

@juliansader: thanks for testing that x64 test build!
For the the 64bit version of that plug on REPAER 64bit: I'm not surprised, it was a very theorical build (compiled on a 32-bit PC!) but a proper x64 build and one I can test myself should come at a not so far point. For the the 32bit version of that plug (which is known to be OK) on REPAER 64bit: not much surprised either, I'm quiet sure bridged VST plugins can't access the API. Cool that it doesn't crash, though

@Veto
Thanks for all the details and especially the RPP! I'm very busy but I'll have a look when I can. In the meantime and from where I am (that is to say far, far away), I "feel" that your "high frequency" problem is rather due to REAPER's automation accuracy (check out this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=45497). In short: 1 automation point per buffer block while we can hopefully have several MIDI events per block. I could be totally wrong though, let me know!

About MIDItoReaControlPath timing accuracy, 2 things to know:
- When playing back, anticipative FX processing should be disabled for the tracks where this plugin resides (MIDI events will be sent too early to the control path otherwise). No problem if the plug is used on armed tracks.
- REAPER's action triggering system isn't "very" accurate, even much less accurate than the automation one: many tests I did show a "latency" up to 30ms before an action to be triggered (but this isn't an issue most of the time, for -actions-)
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #47
musicbynumbers

Jeffos! I was hoping more people would have donated by now too and given you and tim the wealth you deserve! Lol
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #48
benebomber

Please, my dear friends, compile this thing for OS X!

I really, really need it!!! Please (with cream on top)!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #49
Jeffos
Mortal

v1.0 released (now for Win x64 too), see the updated OP.

Changelog:
Code:
v1.0:
- When needed, anticipative FX processing is now automatically turned off for the track where this plug resides.
  "When needed" means "when MIDI events are actually sent to the control path, when that the track is NOT in real
  time audio (e.g. not armed) and when anticipative FX processing is enabled for this track".
  This avoids MIDI events to be sent "too early" to the control path, when playing back.
- Tighter build (463Ko -> 137Ko)
- Win x64 version
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #50
selection7

Default v1.0 isn't working on my 64bit PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
v1.0 released (now for Win x64 too), see the updated OP.
Thanks for this program! I can't get it to work on my new laptop though so I made a short (<3min) video showing me setting it up in Reaper to allow signal to flow to both the hardware control path & the FX chain.
By the end of the video, I prove that Reaper can receive hardware control path MIDI but not FX chain MIDI...even with MIDItoReaControlPath enbled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifSIdPgI5IY
Can anyone with knowledge take a look and tell me where I went wrong?
FYI, I was able to get the 32bit v0.2 version of the VST working on my old PC.

My Info:
Win7x64bit
Reaperx64bit(v3.76)
MIDItoReaControlPath_x64.dll(v1.0)
Input device: KORG AX3000G guitar processor\MIDI pedal (using a MIDI to USB cable)
http://www.korg.com/ax3000g
Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215 Laptop
selection7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #51
RunBeerRun

This is great! Thanks to the dizam dawg!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #52
Jeffos
Mortal

Scoop: a good surprise for OSX users is on its way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
I can't get it to work on my new laptop
selection7, thanks for the youtube video and all the details! (so now the only vid about this VST is titled "MIDItoReaperControlPath VST isn't working.." ha ha )

Well, from the vid, it seems your error is in the "MIDI Device" prefs: you enable your controller with "control only" and never touch it again.. but you need to enable the MIDI input for this plug to work, I mean enable the standard MIDI input path not the control path one (it's the whole idea).

Otherwise I can only say that the x64 version of this VST is working fine here (confirmed by other users too).
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #53
selection7

Quote:
Well, from the vid, it seems your error is in the "MIDI Device" prefs: you enable your controller with "control only" and never touch it again.. but you need to enable the MIDI input for this plug to work, I mean enable the standard MIDI input path not the control path one (it's the whole idea).

Otherwise I can only say that the x64 version of this VST is working fine here (confirmed by other users too).
Thanks Jeffos. That was it! I edited my youtube video to reflect the solution.
I didn't originally have it enabled because Reaper would crash when I chose "Enable Input" in addition to "Enabled input for control messages"...possibly because of a non-64bit VST I had running called pizMIDI midiMonitor. I thought to myself that I only needed the CC messages to get through anyway so that should be good enough (apparently I misinterpreted what that choice means), but I forgot to troubleshoot that step later after I knew I couldn't get it to work.

Interestingly enough, after getting that enabled without a crash, Reaper receives input from my Korg MIDI guitar pedal in both hardware and FX chain even without your VST, which was not true for my old Zoom C5.1t pedal. It makes me wonder what it is about how my Korg guitar pedal sends MIDI signals that Reaper automatically fully recognizes them. I didn't even have to install a driver for my pedal...Win7 Reaper64x recognizes its MIDI anyway. Not so for my last pedal, the Zoom C51.t.

One difference I can think of is the Zoom was natively a USB out device that sends both MIDI and guitar sounds through one USB out cord. The Korg AX300G I'm now using has an actual old-school MIDI out jack that only sends MIDI...no guitar sounds (I use a cheap MIDI-to-USB adapter).

Maybe that's the key, I don't know. Avoid pedals that send both MIDI + sounds and you don't have to worry about the future possibility of unsupported drivers (which is exactly why I stopped using the Zoom since it can't run on a Win7 machine because Zoom stopped supporting it with new drivers).

Last edited by selection7; 09-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
selection7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #54
gwok

hey Jeffos, any chance of seeing an osx build?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #55
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
hey Jeffos, any chance of seeing an osx build?
Yes, as I said in my previous post, it should come at some point: Tale kindly accepted to give a hand about that (the ball is in my camp though.. I first have to merge back with the VST framework we both use).
EDIT: ah.. may be it's another English mistake! "Scoop" means something like "breaking news" here. Sorry, my native language is C++.

Low priority though, not that much people seem interested..
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #56
gwok

doh, I didn't see the above responses to the same question. Awesome! really look forward to it
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #57
bang

Default midi inc/dec use case?

will this vst let me write a Jesusonic plugin to translate my keyboard encoders' NRPN inc/dec midi to Reaper's CC Relative inc/dec mode? in general i'd love to be able to use JS to hack midi controller data to drive Reaper's automation system, but currently JS midi output doesn't appear in the MIDI Learn dialog. this vst makes that possible, yes?

and in any case please count me as another mac user hoping for a port.

tia! /dan
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
bang

Default mac hack

fwiw, you can do something similar to MIDItoReaControlPath on a mac by using the osx midi IAC Driver in Audio MIDI Setup to route customized midi to Reaper externally so that it is processed by the automation system. but this is awkward, so i still hope for an osx build. (or maybe Reaper's automation system will be tweaked when OSC support is added rsn???)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #59
Morpion

Add me to the list of those hoping/waiting for a port too! I really want to try out the JS pluginin Vmorph which require MIDItoReaControlPath to work.
Morpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #60
plamuk

advanced midi control of Reaper is either impossible or extremely unwieldy without this excellent plugin. we need more like it.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #61
gofer
-blänk-

Just stumbled over this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94588

I didn't try it yet, but it sounds promising, I understand it's a JS that does the to-ReaControlPath trick.

Maybe it can help you Mac-heads through the drought?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #62
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Just stumbled over this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94588
I didn't try it yet, but it sounds promising, I understand it's a JS that does the to-ReaControlPath trick.
wow. the trick used in that thread also works great with ReaControlMIDI. instead of using Param > Learn, which doesn't work with track MIDI, it uses Param > Parameter automation with "Link from parameter" to automate one parameter based on another. The source parameter can be one of ReaControlMIDI's Control Change sliders, which receive input from track MIDI! so track MIDI controls a ReaControlMIDI Control Change slider which Parameter automates anything. *very* clever, and useful!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #63
gofer
-blänk-

Ah, thanks for detailing. Now that you say it, I remember fellow user Whatsup came up with that Parameter-Link trick, about the same time when Jeffos released his first MIDItoReaControlPath.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #64
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Ah, thanks for detailing. Now that you say it, I remember fellow user Whatsup came up with that Parameter-Link trick, about the same time when Jeffos released his first MIDItoReaControlPath.
i had missed that, and it seems to be in another thread, so thanks for pointing it out here. it does in fact give the mac folks a quite useable alternative i think.

i have just posted a tutorial on high resolution modulation using pitch bend that uses this method in the Tips and Tricks forum here. feedback welcome.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #65
Morpion

@gofer

Thanks for the link! I now have Vmorph working on a Mac!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #66
Jeffos
Mortal

Parameter linking is great but MIDItoReaControlPath is another beast...
It is one of the thing you can do with it (and, about "linking", you can do more: linking random things to others things like tempo, track faders, etc..).

OSX: OK, if we reach of full page of bumps, I promise I'll do something!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #67
DarkStar

^^^^
In a spirit of altruism (never used a Mac) - bump !

Only seven more to go.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #68
Morpion

@ Jeffos -

Quote:
It is one of the thing you can do with it (and, about "linking", you can do more: linking random things to others things like tempo, track faders, etc..).
You're teasing us! C'mon Mac users, let's get the bumping going! (I realise this one probably shouldn't count )
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #69
bang

Quote:
Parameter linking is great but MIDItoReaControlPath is another beast...

OSX: OK, if we reach of full page of bumps, I promise I'll do something!
big bump for osx MIDItoReaControlPath. for many things it is more straightforward than parameter linking. and you can't do increment/decrement controls with parameter linking as you can with Param > Learn.

Jeffos: what else can you do with MIDItoReaControlPath?

and there is one enhancement i'd really like to see: afaik, Param > Learn does not handle any high resolution MIDI controls other than pitch bend. i've tried learning MSB/LSB controls and it doesn't seem to work. because Reaper's automation system seems to merge all MIDI control input devices, this means at most 16 hires pitch bend controls are possible with Param > Learn. do i have this right? if so, is there any way for MIDItoReaControlPath to address this limitation?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #70
gofer
-blänk-

solidarity bump

sorry Jeffos, I feel uncomfortable to help make you go out of your way - but it's just too good to not be ported. It is ever so often a secret super-weapon for me, can't leave the poor Macians unarmed .
Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #71
plamuk

Quote:
Reaper's automation system seems to merge all MIDI control input devices
an enormous bummer, btw
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #72
Jeffos
Mortal

Default Now available for Intel Macs too!

Ok, MIDItoReaControlPath is now available for Intel Macs too (32 & 64-bit), download links added in the OP!
Loaned Mac: I have 3 days to learn Xcode4, objective C and found the supr key.. but of course, I'm leaving for the week-end In other words, if there is any prob, please let me know TODAY.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #73
Banned

Quote:
Ok, MIDItoReaControlPath is now available for Intel Macs too (32 & 64-bit), download links added in the OP!
Loaned Mac: I have 3 days to learn Xcode4, objective C and found the supr key.. but of course, I'm leaving for the week-end In other words, if there is any prob, please let me know TODAY.
FINALLY! Awesome.

Jeffos, if you can try to set up some project/procedure where you know it's just a metter of compiling, I have the complete tools installed on my end, and would be quite willing to help out by periodically building updates. And do ask if you have some Xcode questions or such, I'm not an expert at all, but who know, I or someone else around here may be able to help you make the most out of this day.

<goes off to download and install...>
Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #74
Seventh

Thank you for the mac version!
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #75
Banned

Jeffos, a suggestion: you should consider renaming either the 32 or 64 bit version, like suffixing the latter with _x64, so they can coexist in the VST folder. Or perhaps even better: building a fat binary containing both archs (but perhaps not: some people like to stay lean and mean, and lipo the fat out again).
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #76
Jeffos
Mortal

Good call Banned! I have updated the builds (and download URLs, for browsers' caches):
MIDItoReaControlPath v1.0 (32-bit Intel Macs)
MIDItoReaControlPath v1.0 (64-bit Intel Macs)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #77
bang

Quote:
works for me. thanks Jeffos! one tiny nit: if resize fx down is enabled, the "Not matching 1 & 2" label doesn't quite fit in the fx window. just fyi. doesn't bother me. enjoy! /dan
Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #78
Mort

Hi,

I've just found out about this and given it a run, and it works, but the side effect is that by disabling control on my midi keyboard, I lose the transport controls that I have configured via the action list. I have 4 transport control buttons on my Edirol PCR 800 that send midi ccs which I have defined as triggering play/pause/stop/rewind via Reaper's action list. Is there any way to keep those working while using the MIDItoReaControlPath plug-in?
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #79
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Hi,

I've just found out about this and given it a run, and it works, but the side effect is that by disabling control on my midi keyboard, I lose the transport controls that I have configured via the action list. I have 4 transport control buttons on my Edirol PCR 800 that send midi ccs which I have defined as triggering play/pause/stop/rewind via Reaper's action list. Is there any way to keep those working while using the MIDItoReaControlPath plug-in?
Sorry Mort but I can't see the prob here: MIDItoReaControlPath will send "transport CCs" to the control path as well (and trigger your configured actions). Probably a config mistake (?)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #80
Mort

Hi Jeffos,

first of all thanks so much for putting this up for us, it is definitely a medalist in the coolness olympics. I had my debug cap on and failed to express my sincere gratitude, for which I apologize. And thanks again for taking the time to read my mumblings.

However Let me clarify what I'm looking at, because I think I figured out where the problem lies.

My PCR MIDI keyboard exposes two USB MIDI ports: 'Edirol PCR 1' and 'Edirol PCR 2'. Both can be used to send messages from buttons, knobs etc. What each controller will do, and which port it will send its message to, is configured via control maps defined locally on the computer, then uploaded to the keyboard. When creating control maps, each controller can be assigned to send data either to port 1 ('Edirol PCR1'), to port 2 ('Edirol PCR2') or to both.

The recommended use for these ports is to use port 1 as input only, and port 2 as input and control. Which actually works out nicely. In Reaper, I use cc 9/channel 1 for rewind, cc 9/channel 2 for stop, cc 9 /channel 3 for play/pause and cc 9/channel 4 for record, all of these via Port 2. The beauty of it is that it uses very few midi cc's as each cc number can be used for 16 different tasks. Just with cc 9 I have, on top of these four transport controls, useful little things like tap tempo, toggle mute and solo or track arming, etc. So I have a ton of options left over for more control definitions.

So what I've done is built hybrid control maps, mixing up port 1 and port 2 controllers. Each map will keep the four main transport buttons (sent to Port 2), then a mix of port one and port 2 controls depending on the softsynth. For example, String Theory (ugoaudio) has hardwired each control to a specific MIDI cc, so the control map simply uses those cc numbers and sends them to port 1. This synth for example works great with your plugin.

The problem is basically with port 2. In my control maps, when a softsynth doesn't provide a hardcoded midi cc number, I assign a spare one from my list of unused cc's (say, cc 120 channel 3), configure it to send to port 2, then use Midi learn to bind it to the instrument.

What I had done initially was to automatically disable port 2 for control, as you recommended. And this stopped reaper acting upon my transport control requests (cc 9 channels 1 to 4). I just tried again with Port 2 enabled for control, and actually everything works exactly as planned, but only for those controllers that are bound to port 1. So I can still use my transport buttons via port 2, and your plugin will happily record all the manipulations of any controller assigned via port 1.

The only limitation now is that for those controllers that are bound to port 2 and linked via MIDI Learn, their movement is not recorded, although it is performed during the take. Meaning, if I record myself playing a few notes and modify two parameters while I'm doing it, the ones bound to port 1 will be recorded, but not those to port 2, although both will move during the performance. And if I disable port 2 for control, then I lose my transport controls.

Well I wasn't expecting to write so much, so apologies for the overload, but I'm just trying to be as precise as I can.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote