Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Sound22Card
Human being with feelings

Default Noise reduction

I just can't get noise reduction (on ReaFir) plug-in.....to work right. It always seems to leave some of the audio underwater. Why doesn't this plug-in have an 'amount applied' slider. I guess I'm just not using the adjustable red line properly. After a noise analysis, via the checkbox, I'm still getting distortion in the narration. Could someone explain the Subtract usage please.
Sound22Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
foxAsteria

enable the tick box during a section when only unwanted sound is heard (the longer the better), then disable it. hold ctrl and drag to change the amount applied. noise reduction is always a tradeoff between fidelity and strange sound artifacts. you just have to play around til you can live with the result. background noise is often easier to remove with a hipass filter. perfect results are rare. good luck.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Sound22Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
enable the tick box during a section when only unwanted sound is heard (the longer the better), then disable it. hold ctrl and drag to change the amount applied. noise reduction is always a tradeoff between fidelity and strange sound artifacts. you just have to play around til you can live with the result. background noise is often easier to remove with a hipass filter. perfect results are rare. good luck.
"hold ctrl and drag to change the amount applied.".....You mean the red line. Create a lower red line with the pencil cursor to lessen the effect, right?
So I guess absolutely no artifacts means almost no reduction? Audacity's seems to be much better, but saying that is a Reaper cuss word, eh?
I'll play with ReaGate as I want to, at least, approach perfection. haha
Sound22Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
vdubreeze

Command/Windows key dragging the noise profile up and down enables you to control how it kicks in without messing with the actual profile. If you raise it a tiny bit on the graph there will be less NR and less artifacts than its default location, lowering it subtracts more of the noise and eventually subtracts everything.

I find the mix knob on the right side (of all plugins in Reaper) the key to using Reafir NR. I create a profile and usually raise it on the graph a tiny bit so the quality is better, though it's getting less of the subtraction. The idea being to keep artifacts at a minimum but let Reafir have some effect. Then I'll back off the plugin dry/wet mix knob from its full wet position to 30-50% wet. Then I'll do the same thing with another instance of Reafir right under the first, and get a profile of what the first was doing to the audio, and I'll set this one more aggressively or conservatively depending on what the goal is. Then I'll also back off the wet on this one and see where the best ratio is as far as artifacts/best reduction. Sometimes I'll do it again with a third one on the same track and go back and adjust the dry/wet mix knows on each until I get what works best. I find this to be a good way of getting a good amount of NR and minimal artifacts.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
grinder

Just a friendly
Have you asked yourself why you are getting noise in your recordings narration I would have thought could be pretty noise free with little effort?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
DVDdoug

Quote:
It always seems to leave some of the audio underwater
Noise reduction is rarely perfect... It usually works best when you have a tiny-constant background noise... It works best when you don't really need it.

There's only so much that can be done with software, even expensive software... Pros still record in soundproof studios with good equipment and good mic placement, etc. Radio & TV studios are soundproofed. On-location movie dialog is re-recorded in the studio, etc.

Quote:
...Audacity's seems to be much better,
Use whatever works best for you and your particular noise situation!

If you've got an important project and you've got the budget, there are some commercial noise reduction plug-ins from Izotope or WAVES, etc.

Or, there are times when the overall sound is best when you do nothing and live with the noise.

It's not unusual to have multiple tools for different situations... You might want to record with REAPER with an ASIO interface, clean-up some noise in Audacity, and then go back to REAPER for mixing, etc. Or, if you're doing "simple" voice-over work or making an audio book with little or no mixing, it might be better to use Audacity for the whole thing. (You don't always need a full-DAW for every audio task.)
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote