Old 09-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Hlp: Can't make level meter well defined

Trying to make a meter background, need help with a certain detail.

I want my meters to be like a column of diodes, not like a solid block that just moves up and down. In the Reaper preferences this is referred to as "interlaced" meter style. To me, this is way more easy to read for the eyes.

Setting the Reaper interlacing on does create small steps, but they are way to many, too fine/small for me. I need them to be much fewer, and larger.

So I made my own meter bg in photoshop. I made solid colored columns which I then separated into small "diodes" using the background color. (See second attached pic - meter_strip_v.jpg)

But when loaded into Reaper, it doesn't show like that at all. Even though Reaper's meter "interlacing" is turned off, it seemd that Reaper does still 'interlace' the picture somehow. This means that my own interlacing gets double interlacing and makes for a very uneven and messy meter rendering. (See first attached pic - ps.jpg)

I've been going over this for some time now, and it seems to me that Reaper does indeed use somekind of underlying interlacing, plus that my own interlacing comes out very differently depending on how large the meter bg picture is.

The sum is: I just can't seem to make a meter bg with nicely evey interlacing of 'virtual diodes'. So I'm asking for help in doing this. Perhaps someone here knows something about a proportion of the picture sixe that will - combined with the proper pixel spacing in a bg picture - create a clear, even and defined interlacing like I'm hoping for - something like the pic below:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FEE1orKk7yo/So...ta_novela2.jpg

thx for any input, tips or advice
/C

Last edited by Colox; 02-21-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Janne83
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
Trying to make a meter background, need help with a certain detail.

I want my meters to be like a column of diodes, not like a solid block that just moves up and down. In the Reaper preferences this is referred to as "interlaced" meter style. To me, this is way more easy to read for the eyes.

Setting the Reaper interlacing on does create small steps, but they are way to many, too fine/small for me. I need them to be much fewer, and larger.

So I made my own meter bg in photoshop. I made solid colored columns which I then separated into small "diodes" using the background color. (See second attached pic - meter_strip_v.jpg)

But when loaded into Reaper, it doesn't show like that at all. Even though Reaper's meter "interlacing" is turned off, it seemd that Reaper does still 'interlace' the picture somehow. This means that my own interlacing gets double interlacing and makes for a very uneven and messy meter rendering. (See first attached pic - ps.jpg)

I've been going over this for some time now, and it seems to me that Reaper does indeed use somekind of underlying interlacing, plus that my own interlacing comes out very differently depending on how large the meter bg picture is.

The sum is: I just can't seem to make a meter bg with nicely evey interlacing of 'virtual diodes'. So I'm asking for help in doing this. Perhaps someone here knows something about a proportion of the picture sixe that will - combined with the proper pixel spacing in a bg picture - create a clear, even and defined interlacing like I'm hoping for - something like the pic below:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FEE1orKk7yo/So...ta_novela2.jpg

thx for any input, tips or advice
/C
Using this form of meter (as you say interlaced) doesnt work well with a meter that is scalable. It will only look nice with its precise height as a stationary meter without resizing.

I suggest you create a meter png without interlacing and you use the internal interlacing that can be enabled in theme editor in preferences.

Regards J