COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Krillo
Human being with feelings

Default Auto convert ogg->wav during ninjaming?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any known way of automatically converting the ogg snippets that are created when ninjamming to wav, as soon as they are finished / made? I was thinking something along the lines of having the drive be a network drive (at home) and having another PC do the converting.

Also I get my local audio saved in mono, not stereo, and I can't figure out how to change it, but that's a different story.
Krillo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
the all new rob

With ninjam client you have an option to save the wav files locally (check the options menu). Are you using ReaNinjam?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Krillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
With ninjam client you have an option to save the wav files locally (check the options menu). Are you using ReaNinjam?
I do save wav files, but that's only the local files, e.g myself, and it ends up in mono, even if track 1 is set to record stereo inputs. If I want to mix the jam properly, then I have to do the clipsort thing, which takes forever. I wanted to have that done as I'm jamming, so that it's all converted when the jam is over.

I use ReaNinjam, that's the plugin for Reaper, right?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
the all new rob

Right--I am thinking you can't get wav files of the other jam participants other than by running the convert process in reaper after importing clipsort.log.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
Krillo

Quote:
Right--I am thinking you can't get wav files of the other jam participants other than by running the convert process in reaper after importing clipsort.log.
I tried converting all ogg files to wav using a batch file converter, dbpoweramp and deleted the original ogg files, but the clipsorting takes the same mount of time regardless, so that didn't speed anything up, but it kinda worked. Two ogg snippets got corrupted, though, and the was some audible clicks between the different parts. I guess Reaper joins the parts together?
If one could create the Reapeaks during the jamming, that would speed it up too.
Feature request, maybe?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
pljones

Can you turn off reapeaks? That might help in itself...
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
the all new rob

Maybe I missed the point--if youhave to convert them from ogg regardless, what's better about doing it with dbpoweramp?

I usually mix down my sessions locally if they had anything good at all, so I've got some considerable amount of practice with the clipsort conversions. (Fun fact, they are just text files, so sometimes you can hand hack a bad ogg file out of the log and salvage a session)

I played a little under two hours last night, and with around 8 other participants (coming and going) it took about 5 minutes to convert all the oggs. Are you just saying you want to forgo that 5 minutes? I sort of took it that you want the wav files for the quality.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Krillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Can you turn off reapeaks? That might help in itself...
I didn't even know that was possible. Will check it out, thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Krillo

Quote:
Maybe I missed the point--if youhave to convert them from ogg regardless, what's better about doing it with dbpoweramp?

I usually mix down my sessions locally if they had anything good at all, so I've got some considerable amount of practice with the clipsort conversions. (Fun fact, they are just text files, so sometimes you can hand hack a bad ogg file out of the log and salvage a session)

I played a little under two hours last night, and with around 8 other participants (coming and going) it took about 5 minutes to convert all the oggs. Are you just saying you want to forgo that 5 minutes? I sort of took it that you want the wav files for the quality.
It's not better to use dbpoweramp, it was merely a test to see if Reaper would accept files already converted from ogg to wav, and it does.

Your PC is probably newer / better / faster than mine. I spend my cash more on hardware gear and instruments nowadays. Clipsorting took over half an hour for a 45 min jam for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
imispgh

Quote:

This conversion used to be quick on my laptop. However somewhere in the 3.X path it slowed way down. As said here this conversion takes hours now. I monitor my CPUs and RAM and they are hardly being used. How is it you can convert so fast? What is your CPU and RAM use when processing this? Maybe there is some setting we have different and that i changed along the way that is causing this? (I have Duo-core 2.1GHZ laptop with 4G RAM)
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
imispgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
I do save wav files, but that's only the local files, e.g myself, and it ends up in mono, even if track 1 is set to record stereo inputs. If I want to mix the jam properly, then I have to do the clipsort thing, which takes forever. I wanted to have that done as I'm jamming, so that it's all converted when the jam is over.

I use ReaNinjam, that's the plugin for Reaper, right?
My local drum record is in stereo and after the clipsort process it stays in stereo. Is it possible you are in Stereo in Reaper but Mono in NINJAM? Or visa versa? (In NINJAM look at the drop down to the left of you local channel meter)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
the all new rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by imispgh View Post
How is it you can convert so fast? What is your CPU and RAM use when processing this? Maybe there is some setting we have different and that i changed along the way that is causing this? (I have Duo-core 2.1GHZ laptop with 4G RAM)
I just checked and I'm not CPU-bound when converting. Probably disk i/o, although I'd need to run perfmon to confirm that.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
imispgh

Sill takes a very long time to convert the OGG files. I have a Quad core and none of the cores shows more than 2% use and I am using only 20% of my memory and that is probably on my browser.

There has got to be a way to make the CPU compute this using more resources. Isn't it like a reverse render? (Or just plain render)

I had a 1 hour NINJAM session and I am now on an hour trying to load the project prom the clipsort.log.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
the all new rob

I usually take five minutes for merging an hour or two session. Quadcore, 32 bit XP.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
pljones

Quote:
I had a 1 hour NINJAM session and I am now on an hour trying to load the project prom the clipsort.log.
That's some serious problem you have there! I've a quad AMD Phenom 2.3, Win7x64 and clipsorts load in no more than a few minutes.

You do defrag the drive you're saving to, right..?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
imispgh

My PC works very well except when I use the clipsort.log process to create a project. I have projects with over 90 tracks and all works well. When I run the conversion my 4 cores are barely running and I have plenty of RAM.

I had a 1 hr jam today that is now going on 4 hours to load from clipsort.log. Something is very wring. I need help please.

(Might this use some Windows process I have turned off? Is there a setting in Reaper that I might have wrong?)
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
the all new rob

I'm clipsorting now.

1540 items.
Running between 10-20% on all four cores.
Kernel memory is steadily climbing.

Session time 53 minutes
five tracks with non-negligible data.

Import time: 2 minutes.
That's Reaper 3.78 on WinXPSP3/32

4 GB RAM, Q9550

By no means is my box a rocket, but it's not an antique.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
imispgh

God I wish I knew why mine is slow
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
pljones

Like I asked, do you defrag the drive you're working on? The clipsort processing makes a lot of disk use and likes plenty of contiguous space, as I understand it.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
the all new rob

Yeah, the "drive your working on" made me recall that even though I write my ogg files to a folder called ninjam on my D drive, that the clipsort writes to C if I correctly recall. I believe it uses the user profile environment variable. So if that drive is full or fragmented that may be a part of the problem.

I didn't think about it, but I think mine is going faster now that I replaced my boot drive with a SSD. But it was never as slow as you describe.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
imispgh

Quote:
Like I asked, do you defrag the drive you're working on? The clipsort processing makes a lot of disk use and likes plenty of contiguous space, as I understand it.
Yes I defrag and I have 40% or 40G of space available.

Funny when I use NIJAM and it creates the OGGs it's fine. Why would it take 5X longer to turn them in to wavs? It jammed today for 45minutes and I am going on 3 hrs to build the project and wavs
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #22
pljones

Quote:
Funny when I use NIJAM and it creates the OGGs it's fine. Why would it take 5X longer to turn them in to wavs?
It's not "creating" the OGGs, that's what comes down off the NINJAM server. It's simply writing the data to disk, unprocessed. No "thinking" involved and lots of tiny files, so fragmentation isn't an issue. Unlike when it has to locate each fragment (disk access), expand the OGG data by about five to ten times (CPU power) and save the WAV (large contiguous write - slowed by fragmentation).

The only thing that could fragment during a really long jam, I guess, is the clipsort - but even huge ones tend to be under one cluster...

40GB contiguous free sounds okay, though. My D drive is about 40% free but the space is 25.7% fragmented (largest contiguous chunk is 92.22GB), so I'm due a Consolidate Free Space pass.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
imispgh

3hrs last night to convert 1 45 minute jam.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
imispgh

4hrs now and counting to convert an hour long NINJAM clipsort. Plenty of RAM left and all 4 cores barely being used
Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
-jon-

Quote:
4hrs now and counting to convert an hour long NINJAM clipsort. Plenty of RAM left and all 4 cores barely being used
I got a vaio P940 dual pentium cpu 4 g ram. always import clipsort in reaper to MEMORY. Never convert to wav

my stats for last night jam:

3 hour jam
18 participants (total in and outs)
Jam folder size (explorer): 317 MB
items: 5237
import time: 4 minutes

reaper 3.77 32bit
win7 home
320 GB 5400 rpm HDD
eco mode

I noticed HDD was very busy during import, so disk speed is the most important thing I guess.

Lastly, Reaper says its memory uses is 989 MB.

hope it's useful
-jon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #26
pljones

I thought I'd try this on a measly machine.

Linux 3.0.0-19-server on x86_64 (accessed via Xming)
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 245 Processor, 2 cores @ 800MHz, 1.7GB RAM (2GB with some shared for video)
STM3500418AS drive (7600rpm, 500GB, 50% used, ext3 filesystem)
clipsort: 1,463 files, 4.17GB of data, three participants, 53 minute jam
Reaper-3.76 32bit under Wine, dummy audio driver

Import time was 2 minutes 5 seconds. (Pretty good as my Windows 7 64 bit quad core 2.3GHz machine running Reaper 4.22 64 bit takes 1m30 seconds.)

I don't think it's CPU or RAM -- it's disk that's the issue.

Last edited by pljones; 04-16-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #27
imispgh

Quote:
I thought I'd try this on a measly machine.

Linux 3.0.0-19-server on x86_64 (accessed via Xming)
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 245 Processor, 2 cores @ 800MHz, 1.7GB RAM (2GB with some shared for video)
STM3500418AS drive (7600rpm, 500GB, 50% used, ext3 filesystem)
clipsort: 1,463 files, 4.17GB of data, three participants, 53 minute jam
Reaper-3.76 32bit under Wine, dummy audio driver

Import time was 2 minutes 5 seconds. (Pretty good as my Windows 7 64 bit quad core 2.3GHz machine running Reaper 4.22 64 bit takes 1m30 seconds.)

I don't think it's CPU or RAM -- it's disk that's the issue.
This happens on my laptop and PC. Both take several times longer than the original session was in length to create the project.

I think it is some kind of settings combination issue in Reaper or maybe in tandem with some Windows 7 setting like services I turned off using Black Viper?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
imispgh

I figured it out

On the Rendering tab under preferences (was that recently added?) there is a choice for

Limit apply FX/render stems to real time (good for some plug ins)

It need to be unchecked or rendering takes forever

I understand how this could cause a problem but I could swear this choice has not been here long? Also why use the word "apply" at all? Just take that word out.